Skip navigation

1982 Mk1 Standard GTi

Back to the top

1982 Mk1 Standard GTi

I have decided to put this back up for sale, this has been on my drive for a few weeks now as I decided I was going to hold onto it, but I've now changed my plans so it's back up for sale.

I'm asking for a more realistic price of ?1995 O.N.O.

I only bought this as I had known the car for ages, knew the owner and knew it was too good an opportunity to be missed.

However looking back retrospectively, I decided I couldn't really justify having it sat in my garage whilst using my bargain small bumper 8v mk2 as a daily driver.

I love the car to bits, but I've started looking at houses and the money would help towards a few months payments on the mortgage or a small deposit. Being a first time buyer is particularly hard.

Anyway, onto the car….

I bought this from an old school friend in July this year. The car had no MOT or tax so it could have been said that I was taking a bit of a gamble, but I knew how mint this car was when he was running it 6 years ago.

It has been dry stored for the last 6years in the previous owner's garage as he had bought an Audi UR Quattro (which he subsequently wrote off) so couldn't justify running both at the time. 6yrs on he realised he didn't have the time to get it back on the road so he approached me as he knew I always wanted it off him.

Anyway a deal was struck and I bought the car.

After fixing a few problems (and a fair bit of cursing along the way) for the MOT, the car was soon back on the road. Considering the car had been in a garage for 6years I wasn't too sure what to expect, so was very chuffed it was back on the road pretty quickly.

A standard exhaust and standard alloys later and here's how she stands at present:

As you can see from the photos the car is very clean and it benefitted from a good quality respray before it was put into storage. It had new bumpers, arch trims, stickers, wing mirrors all round.

Recent Work
The recent work carried out for the MOT included new brake hoses, brake pipes, rear brake compensator, rear brake pistons, flexible fuel pipe, standard exhaust, rear wheel bearings, seat clips, front top mounts and bushes, a few niggly electrical problems, and one bit of welding to one of the sills.

The usual oil filter, oil, plugs, rotor arm etc. have been carried out

There's also stacks of receipts from just before the car was put into storage, including a new clutch and Jamex lowering springs.

Modifications
The car is standard externally aside from the bee-sting aerial which was fitted at the time of the respray.
The car apparently has had a bit of engine work at GTi Engineering, although there are no receipts to back this up so don't take this as gospel.

It does have however benefit from the following:

4 Branch Manifold
Jetex exhaust system into a standard rear box
Pipercross Induction Kit
1.6 5speed gearbox (better acceleration)

and Jamex lowering suspension. The car sticks to the road!!

The car is very quick and not too loud with general driving, but has a nice tone under full acceleration.

The car is on 224,000 miles which isn't alot considering it's a 25yr old car.

The Problems
I like to poke and prod at things so I peeled back the paintwork on the nearside wing, see pic:

Not as bad as it looks, I've been quoted 75quid to sort it.

The inner boot:

easily rectified, and I've been quoted 50quid to get this welded over and painted.

pretty solid wheel well

Please bear in mind my honesty when listing this car, I often see car's for sale on the internet and they always shy away (or even cover up) from showing the bad bits. I'm trying to be honest as I can as I don't want to waste people's time.

So all in all a very clean solid car, with no rust around the inner wings, tailgate etc. as you tend to find.

The number plate is probably worth a few quid too. "Del Boy" "Old Boy"???

Also comes with VDO gauges although not wired in (I'm not one of these who would try to pass it off as a Campaign). Base the car on the condition not being a Campaign or not.

The car benefits from a Clifford Immobiliser and a Toad Alarm - so you can relax that this car will be kept safe and benefit from cheaper insurance.

The car has 9mths MOT.

All I can say is come and have a look, even if you just want to compare it to other mk1's you may be interested in, you won't be disappointed.

I wasn't sure how much to ask for this to be honest. My ?3000 initial figure was just to test the water, I wasn't sure how much to value the car as it's always difficult especially when you're attached to something.

I think my new realistic price of ?1995 O.N.O. is more viable, bearing in mind the MOT.

The car is located in Barry, South Wales

Contact me on 07968542010 or gj_ricketts@hotmail.com. Please phone as opposed to text.

Cheers

Gareth

Back to the top
See previous discussion here.

Back to the top
bump

Back to the top
did this car pass the mot with the corrosion on the strut tower? i though corrosion had to be more than 300mm away from 1. any suspension mountings and 2. seatbelt mountings .cheers

Back to the top
why don`t you just get the welding done, then you definatly stand a better chance of getting any where near the asking price

just a thought  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Back to the top
I agree, especially if, as you said, you've been quoted 50 quid to get it welded and painted over. Spend the fifty quid to get it sorted and you'll stand a much better chance of selling the car.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.