Skip navigation

white 78' series 1 *PROJECT ANGUS* Updated 06/04/2011!!

Back to the top

white 78' series 1 *PROJECT ANGUS* Updated 06/04/2011!!

yea I know russ ya bender - do you own a mk1 yet?

It deffo has an aircooled vibe to it! this will win some awards when you show it

Back to the top
cheers boys!!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
I know this hasn't been updated in literally years! But just thought i'd say that the car is now fully finished, haven't had the chance to get it to any shows unfortunately, due to work commitments and house stuff, but it has been out on the odd occasion, but wrapped up in the garage when not being used! Had a few running issues and many months of trying to source a carb diapragm, as i was told repeatedly that i couldn't get one for love nor money! But eventually found one and Angus is running a treat now! It's actually getting used for my mates (rustys_mk1) wedding this year and will hopefully be seeing the light of day at some shows!!

I'll get some proper pics up soon, it's MOT time tomorrow, if the weather is fine, it sailed through the first one it had since the re-build so i'm expecting it to do the same as i've hardly driven it this year!!!:):):)

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Welcome back stranger. Good to hear she's all finished and on the road.

Good luck with the MOT and stick some updated pics up when you can. Would be good to see.

Smudger

Back to the top
White_78, where did you get your paint done mate? I'm looking for someone in the north east to do mine when I've finished the metalwork, and the finish on your car is amazing, I love it!

Lovely car mate  :wub:  :wub:

Andy. :cool:

Back to the top
Your mk1 looks stunning White 78 - love it. Good luck with the mot tomorrow.

Back to the top
Cheers!!

Yeah it passed the MOT nee bother, been out for a little run today, felt class to be back behind that wolfsburg wheel!! I'll get some pics up soon. The paint work was done at DJ VW in Tanfield, it's near tanfield lea railway. The fella there is called Tommy Judd, class painter like, mine didn't have a full shoot, the roof and doors are original!!

If you want to contact him i still have his number and stuff just gis a shout, if your local i can point ya in the right direction to his place :)

Cheers again fellas, i'm gonna try and keep more of a presence in here, i've neglected it for quite some time after the build was finished i'll admit, but as we all know, these things are never really 'finished' so i'll porbably come apart again at some point!!

:lol::thumbs:

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Really nice work! Well done!

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top

white_78 said

Cheers!!

The paint work was done at DJ VW in Tanfield, it's near tanfield lea railway. The fella there is called Tommy Judd, class painter like, mine didn't have a full shoot, the roof and doors are original!!

If you want to contact him i still have his number and stuff just gis a shout, if your local i can point ya in the right direction to his place :)

I'll get that number at some point off you mate. My car should be ready for the bodyshop in a few months I hope. I'm in Washington mate, so not too far.

Regards, Andy.

Back to the top
Nee bother mate, just gis a shout when ya ready! He did say after mine that he wouldn't do another but if its just paint then I'm sure he'll be up for it! He is an excellent painter like, hopefully his number is still the right one. Where abouts in washy are you like? I've not seen any other MK1's around washy

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Cheers for that, I live in Glebe mate, just next to the Galleries. Bought the car from Consett and only had it on the road for a couple of months before I started the resto. I only know of one other Mk1 which is in Springwell Village.

Back to the top
Well, after much trials and tribulation with my unreliable solex, I've gone the weber route, got a one for a 1.6 with a modified inlet (apparently they don't make the direct replacement for the 1457 anymore) and I can tell ya it's been a bit if a pain. The car needs to be running right by the end of the week as I'm supposed to be using it for my best mates wedding, as the wedding car!!

I put it on yesterday, only to find when fitted, the accelerator cable was just no good for it, with it being an auto with a kickdown spring, there just wasn't enough cable to get the thing on! And when I did get it on it kept the throttle open fully!! 

So I took it all back off and refitted the old solex to have a bit more of a fiddle in the hope it would run right….no good….had a bit more look at the cable set up and proceeded to chop up and re-weld the mounting bracket so the distance to the thriller linkage was the same as the solex….bingo! So took all the old stuff back off again 😩 and refitted the modified manifold…..bit hard when you can't even see half the bolts never mind getting a torque wrench in to tighten them! 

Left it at that for today as I had a gig with my band tonight (zeerox on FB if any of you are into music….shameless plug) but ill be cracking on in the morning, and hopefully have the old fella back up and running in time!! 

That's all for now 

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
After many hours working away in the garage, he' finally running like a dream, went out for a 2 hour ride the other day, and it never missed a beat, felt great to be back on th road, and even more so to be actually using him for my best mates wedding on Saturday! Then it's show time, finally! It's amazing how projects can over run so much, but it's all worth it in the end! Ill get some more recent pictures up when I'm at the computer, but I can say now that the mk1 is back! And it's feels mint! Already had so many comments from people and have been let out of numerous junctions, it's amazing how Many let you out when you drive! 

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Great news mate. Good to hear she's running sweet again. Enjoy the wedding.  :)

Back to the top
Loving this thread. Taking tips :thumbs:

Back to the top
Glad  you got her fixed in time, get some pics at wedding. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Great stuff - looking forward to seeing the pics.

Back to the top
Reviving this thread after a canny long time!!  The car is still alive and kicking….and if "howmanyleft.com" is to be believed it is the the only '78 tintop LS Auto left registered in the UK 😲😲 

I've not used the car nearly as much as I would like to have due to buying a B5 RS4 and that taking up a lot of time/money! But the golf still feels mint each time I drive it, done a couple of weddings (one of which I mentioned earlier in the thread) and generally just pottering around!!

Thanks for all the encouraging messages on here when me and Russ were doing the car - all the effort has paid off and I now have a MK1 that I think is DONE! Apart from the interior 😉 if anyone knows where to get the original blue material for the seat covers then please let me know!! Oh and maybe some 15s 😝😝  

Anyways, here's a couple of pics how it looks now! 

Cheers

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
32B22F8C-BD0B-41FC-A3F2-06652DD5EE5E.jpeg E0403874-58A1-44B4-AC9D-8928752A062F.jpeg 6CDB3DA6-3371-4C71-8DE0-538C24FC220C.jpeg 99F0C543-57D4-4E38-A053-A99CE401E870.jpeg B9166BCA-8CD2-4194-9202-660CECE243BB.jpeg D8682382-7278-4EE9-A8F4-54BB6ABECF4C.png 8BD18C9D-CD6A-4B26-A4E9-00746B44A7CF.jpeg

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.