Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Finally, a decent update :thumbs:  and one that made me smile  :lol:

The outside of the shell now has a second coat of primer and is all one colour!!!!  :P

Few photos before the transformation

The man of the hour, Chris, doing his thing

And now all grey

I had a massive smile on my face for the rest of the evening, finally getting somewhere  :thumbs:

Once that excitement was over, I dug out the engine

The part I need is in here somewhere  :banghead:

Carbs

The part I was after, manifold, found and bolted on

New bits

First of a million decisions, how to orientate the clips so they don't hit/foul anything. This was the best I came up with

All bolted up

Next week I'm going to rub the inside down. Do a bit more on re-assembling the engine. Then week after is more spraying. Hopefully have updates a bit more often now :thumbs:

Cheers
Matt

Back to the top
Photo of shellby with dried primer, looking neat

The inside paint was too "shiny" so spent 1.5 hours rubbing it down with this stuff

Hats off to people who do car bodywork for a living, so mind numbing  O_o

And here she is wrapped up to prevent the local swallows pooing on her  :lol:

Hopefully inside into grey primer Tuesday.

Thanks
Matt

Back to the top
Coming along great there Matt. I'm also running 16V on carbs. But fitting two 45 Webber side draughts. Best of luck with the build.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Great news Matt, I'm not surprised you had a big smile on your face! When is colour going on?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Happy days Matt, it's been a long time coming, getting her into one colour. Looking good dude!! :)

Back to the top

Beeno said

Coming along great there Matt. I'm also running 16V on carbs. But fitting two 45 Webber side draughts. Best of luck with the build.

Thanks beeno  :thumbs:

Any particular reason you went down the webber route?

Matt

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Great news Matt, I'm not surprised you had a big smile on your face! When is colour going on?

Melteddrummer said

Happy days Matt, it's been a long time coming, getting her into one colour. Looking good dude!! :)

Thanks andy's  :thumbs:

Yeah, taken a long time to come round, but can't complain, I have a very laid back agreement with Chris the painter, he just does work on her as and when he can, and he keeps the cost low  :)  

hopefully Miami blue this year, hopefully before the nights get too cold or it may end up being next spring  O_o  so fingers cross soon!

Matt

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

How's your paint coming along andy? Saw the chap doing your paint at the leeds vw festival, with his famous golf. think he should be doing your car instead  :lol:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Beeno said

Matt

Morning Matt

No particular reason really, except for finance and the fact that I had the Webbers laying around and I have heard that they go pretty good running on Webbers and also it cuts out all of the electronic bull$%£t that goes with fuel injection and turbo. The simpler the electronics the easier the maintenance and repairs. And also easy to make a plan should you get any trouble on the road. That's basically my reason summed up. I like to keep things as simple as possible. Why did you go with the carbs? Around these parts doing a 20v conversion and turbo and stuff like that could come to the same cost as buying a new car. :o  It's ridiculously expensive.    

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top

Beeno said

pazwaa said

Beeno said

Matt

Morning Matt

No particular reason really, except for finance and the fact that I had the Webbers laying around and I have heard that they go pretty good running on Webbers and also it cuts out all of the electronic bull$%£t that goes with fuel injection and turbo. The simpler the electronics the easier the maintenance and repairs. And also easy to make a plan should you get any trouble on the road. That's basically my reason summed up. I like to keep things as simple as possible. Why did you go with the carbs? Around these parts doing a 20v conversion and turbo and stuff like that could come to the same cost as buying a new car. :o  It's ridiculously expensive.    

To start with my whole project started as a whim. I saw the shell on ebay, cheap, i used to be a welded and fancied a go. Once i'd bought the shell i had no idea where to go next so started looking on here. From there i loved the carb look with an empty engine bay, and then after more research i stuck with this way due to the simplicity of the electrics, like you. Bogg Brothers are about 20 miles from my house, so will be taking it there one day to be set up.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yip and I also like the sound of it. You've got a great build so far. Going to love to see the finished product. Mine's going a bit slow but getting the slowly. Or shall I rather say going nowhere slowly. Good luck mate.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Small update to keep my thread alive. Guide coat put on and been sanded back

roof and boot to finish, hopefully next week  O_o

then she's been taken to the painters house, who now has a garage with a spray booth and oven, for some miami blueness  :thumbs:  :lol:

:offtopic:

with nothing to do on shellby, ive been busy

built a workshop for me and a playroom for the kids in the garden

and my lambrettas stripped and getting blasted  :thumbs:

sorry for the  :offtopic:  subject, but not much to report  :'(

cheers
matt

Back to the top
Is there any chance of fixing some of the early photos?  It spoils a build thread when you can't see whats going on!

Driver driver.

Back to the top

TwoFourDonkey said

Is there any chance of fixing some of the early photos?  It spoils a build thread when you can't see whats going on!

Agreed  :thumbs:  I asked earlier in the thread if anyone knew how to restore the photo links, but didn't get a response  O_o

Anyone know what to do?

Back to the top
I think you can repost the pics editing each post and re-copying the links from Photobucket.  the hardest part will be remembering which pics you used.

Love the new workshop Matt, spot on!!

Not much to a Lambretta underneath is there?!

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

I think you can repost the pics editing each post and re-copying the links from Photobucket.  the hardest part will be remembering which pics you used.

Love the new workshop Matt, spot on!!

Not much to a Lambretta underneath is there?!

Cheers Andy. I've finally figured it out. yeah, putting the pictures back is a massive jigsaw headache  O_o

thanks, quite proud of my little shed  :thumbs:

No, not much to a lambretta  :lol:  think I should have done the scooter first and the golf second, a much gentler learning curve  :P

Back to the top
build thread updated with all missing photos re-instated, what a mammoth task that was  :'(

feel free to re-read  :P

matt

Back to the top
Good progress, can't wait to see the blue!!

Love the new shed too, quality work there. I bet the kids side is the smallest one  :thumbs:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Good progress, can't wait to see the blue!!

Love the new shed too, quality work there. I bet the kids side is the smallest one  :thumbs:  :lol:

You got it all wrong andy :lol: all I wanted was a 6x4 potting shed, but the wife got involved and everything's got blown out of proportion, as usual  O_o  the back shed, which was supposed to be mine, is 10x8, far too big for me, so kids have that! They've got a sofa, tv, bluray, all sorts in there. Mines the front one, still too big at 8x5, but shouldnt moan  :lol:

Back to the top
I found something off this yesterday I shall take a pic later for you :)

Banner
There are too many online users to list.