Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

borednow said

Bad news on the engine mate. Silly question but has it got oil in it? If not add some and let it soak and you may be lucky and it might free up.  :(

On the plus side though the state of your garage made me laugh 'cos I thought mine was untidy  :thumbs:

Thanks for the tip :thumbs:  

I drained the oil, but everything is still coated on oil, not dry, just feels "tight" when you rotate the crankshaft :(  

It's not a garage, it's a barn, I'm only there once a week, and stuff keeps getting moved around when I'm not around :P    But at £25 a month I can't moan :thumbs:  :lol:  

Back to the top
engine sorted and turning nicely   :)   seems some idiot (me) put the big shells back on the wrong way round  :P . turned them 180 degress and everything is good again  :lol:

Back to the top
Still awaiting engine bearings and paint, so very slow progress at the moment  :'(managed a few tiny steps forward

first my loom arrive from Rubjonny (cheers john  :thumbs:)

no idea what to do with any of this  :lol:modified the dash mounts

and trail fiited the s1 dash, went in very easy  :)

then tried the clocks

these dont seem to line up with the mounts on the dash   O_o Do i need different clocks? perhaps the black ones?  :Pdont want the fusebox in the standard position, so made and fitted a little mounting bracket

engine bearings have arrived, so hopefully sort the engine next week and trail fit it, that will be a welcome step forward  :)thats it for now. any help with the clocks would be greatly apprieciated.

matt

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
If you move the fusebox there my looms probably wont reach :(

dash and rear ones probably ok, but the engien one may be tricky even if you put grommet holes in the middle. lighting loom will probably be the bigger problem tho i recon, most of the engine loom will prob be ok with a hole in the middle but lighting loom prob need a fair bit of faffing

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for the heads up john. Will be doing a tucked loom installation, so knew Id have to play around with it  :thumbs:  first I need to understand how the wiring works, cause all your descriptions still make my head spin  :lol:

Any idea about the clocks not fitting?

Back to the top
sorry not clued up on the S1 stuff really :(

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Nice work Matt. Not sure why the clocks wouldn't fit, they're S1 clocks and S1 dash. I don't know enough about how they go together sadly though to help

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
No worries andy, cheers anyway  :thumbs:

Bit of a mystery, like you say, should fit  O_o

Back to the top
Painful progress - spent 2 hours fitting the boot lock and getting the boot to latch  :P Couldn't get the lock to engage, had to keep enlarging the holes in the shell. got it done eventually.

on a good note, thats the last of the panels lined up

blasted all the debris out. so should be all in grey primer by the end of the month  :lol:

Back to the top
2 hours - bet you enjoyed that!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

2 hours - bet you enjoyed that!  :lol:

Yep, open hole out, try lock, fail, open hole out, try lock, fail….  O_o

Back to the top
last photo of the old girl looking old….

myself and the painter are on holiday next week, then the week after she will be in grey primer - all one colour finally  :lol:on a different subject, a new toy has arrived

1961 series 2 lambretta LI. something for me to restore whilst at home  :)

Back to the top

pazwaa said

myself and the painter are on holiday next week, then the week after she will be in grey primer - all one colour finally  :lol:

Does the missus know you're going away with the painter Matt??  :lol:

Will be good to see colour on it. Nice new toy too  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
In hindsight, maybe I should have worded that differently  :lol:

Cheers Andy. That's the eBay photo, real thing arrives tomorrow, rather excited  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Can't wait to see her in primer Matt. Loving the Lambretta  as well mate, very nice :wub:

Back to the top
Thanks Andy, all one colour is gonna feel like a massive step toward, finally  :thumbs:

How's your painting progressing?

Back to the top
Shouldn't be too much longer now hopefully, I'm off back down there at the weekend to check it out :thumbs:

Back to the top
small update

Shellby awaiting paint, looking unloved  :(

3 week delay on the next coat of paint  :'(

so on to the engine, and fitting new bearings. been putting this off for a while as i was nervous about taking parts out of the engine, but it went well  :)

all parts removed and bagged/labelled individually

camshaft out

told myself "dont drop anything in the engine". i didnt listen, you can just see the rouge, dropped nut  :P

mr magnet solved that

:lol:

new main and shell bearings fitted

camshaft back in

nipped the nuts up, check rotation, all spun nicely, phew. so torque it all up properly, checked rotation again, all good. so sump back on and finished

next step, build the engine up and add gearbox  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi fella, build looking good. 

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits 

Back to the top
I've moved my photos to a different album in photobucket and the links have been broken  :banghead:

Can I re-link them anyone?

Thanks
Matt
There are too many online users to list.