Skip navigation

project muppet

Back to the top

project muppet

saf

that is a killer mate, really really gutted for you.

did you declare everything on the car, like the twin carbs. As believe me they will be looking for everyway to not pay out. Even alloys if it did not come as standard

Back to the top
Damn!!!  8O  I'd be in tears, especially after so much hard work and effort was put into it. Hope you get a decent enough payout and build up the other one. Glad you made it out safe and wise choice on getting off the road when you did.

Back to the top
:(  well gutted for you mate, i don't think i'd be as cool as you about it

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
Gutted too see that dude…that Car had sooo much potencial  :cry:  :cry: ,atleast you walked away from it unhurt like you say.

I shouldn't say this but after seeing another fellows Orange Golf project burn i made sure i have a brand new fire extinguisher in my under pockets of Dash,im running Bike Carbs on mine and its scary  :|

Back to the top
saf!!!

im  cant beleive it man!!
we were only talking 2 days ago or summit while u were getting it ready for mot!!

after all the hard work !!

sorry mate :(

93' cab in need of a miracle

Back to the top
mate,truely gutted for you,especially watching that happen in front of you,hope the insurance pays out good money for you.
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
it broke my heart watching it and being totally helpless. the only reason i can stay chilled out about it  now is the fact that nothing can bring it back but it has hit me pretty hard like :(

ive had a few phone calls from friends today with various life savers, one has donated me an engine/gearbox and most of the k-jet ancillaries, rad and stuff to get the other one running, another has no mechanical experience but insisted he gave me 50 quid towards the next project

also had loads of mates willing to come to manc bearing tools to help get her running and im eternally grateful to everyone.

my sisters offered me her renault clio which i may use as a daily while i mess about with another project but itll be a budget one until the insurance one decides whats what.

being collected and taken to a compound on thursday  so hopefully shouldnt be too long till i find out either way

Back to the top
Mate, i can personally vouch for how much this sucks, fuel leak, whoosh…

mine happened coming up a year ago now, still not over it, still one of the most gutting things thats happened to date, but im still here, thats all i can say

its metal rubber and plastic, not a human soul, you are inredibly lucky, its insane how fast the flames spread, mine happened about 30 secs from a fire station so they deployed very fast, but cos i was driving, the flames were going down the bulkhead and under the car, im lucky it didnt all blow up tbh, and so are you

my interior got wet and stank and full of glass, burnt out dash and torched the front end, but with a lot of help from friends, new panels and a ridiculous and completely uneconomical amount of work, ill be able to have a golf again.

u r lucky u r managing to save the rear panel and some other bits, and it is truly amazing to see how people rally together to help you, it is nice to know that people are still there for you.

Like i say, this is true empathy, it is horrificcly gutting, and although you tell people ur lucky to be alive, it doesnt manage to cheer you up much, i really really do think differently about life since, more opportunities etc, not many people come with a near death experience at a young age, its weird enough for a car to set on fire, chances are we could both very easily not be here.

I REALLY hope for you sake, that the insurance pays out mate, for me, it just made it that bit worse, no cushion. Im sure as your probably older than me u might have better insurance policies…good luck to you mate

we are both lucky to get away with what we have, regardless of cars/insurance etc, its a bummer but not as bad as being dead or seriously disfigured.
Best of Luck
Josh.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Gutted for you mate :(

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
josh mate, im sure a read a thread about yours when it happened and had much respect when you chose to rebuild it.

nearly finished now i hope? and too right were both ok being the main thing, like you say a cars material and can be replaced.

cheers for the reply mate, its tragic but still another golf will live on with a few of the parts so alls not lost

Back to the top
Jesus christ, only at yours 2 week back and explaining what your doing next, can't believe it bud,  hell, as you can tell by my typing i am really gutted and its not my car, my heart goes out to you yousaf, dont be modest about the car, it hurts big time, but you are safe, look after number one.
Best wishes fella
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
yeh the car is getting there slowly, all the bay and inside has gone back to baremetal, everything, and i mean everything has been stripped, except the headlining lol, rear axle and tank are off, gotta refit rear beam and then its off to paint!! cant wait till its all one colour again, i think thats the defning point though, finally not takign anything else off/ ripping it up and just putting stuff on, and not being able to see fire damage anymore

we are both very lucky yes,
best of luck whatever you decide to roll about in, i know i dnt need to give you a lecture on fire safety for the future, unfortunately we both learnt the hard way but its something you just dont even consider, very rare event.
Josh

Back to the top
saf :( i couldnt begin to think how gutting that must be for you :(

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
Thats fully unlucky man.

Still looks a beauty on the pictures whilst on fire.

Proper shame.

Gods a ****

Any bits your breaking?

Wheels, exhaust etc etc.

Back to the top
thanks for all the support now, my sister has sorted me out a temporary car, its her clio, not a vw :( but its transport and it was a little gift so i cant complain.

and yeh it does look sweet even tho its on fire, i actually quite like the pic despite the implications, the juxstaposition of the mintness on the outside and raging fire on the inside looks immense. my sister is making me a print of it and im going to try and get a friend to vectorise it.

everything thats coming off the car (ie wheels/exhaust/rear panel) etc is all going on my other mk1 so all is not lost.

:)

Back to the top
Gutted for you mate, good luck with sorting you old mk1 out, wont be long before your back on the road in a mk1 :wink:

Pete

Back to the top
Fair play.

Give updates of next mk1, let us know how your doing.

Looked sick mate, its such a shame, saved the picture too cus it looks so cik on fire…

The one from the back.. looks badd.

Back to the top
insurance companies are fucking wankers, ive been offered 700 quid for the car which is pitiful, i have to pay 100 pounds excess plus 170 quid odd for the rest of the years premium and to add insult to injury the muppet will be getting crushed regardless of outcome which means my coilovers, 4 branch manifold and small light panel shall be no longer :(

does anyone know what the deal is with cat a write offs, there must be a way i can get the rear panel back, arrrrrrrrgh.

would have been economically viable not to have put it thru the insurance and just took the parts off the shell and weighed it in for scrap metal.

fucking gay day indeed

Back to the top
reall sorry to here that mate

guess you did not have it on a classic policy then.

Cat A means there is no way at all you can go get any bits off it, means has to be crushed and not even broken for parts.

Only options left now are, to find out which salvage yard its gone to and ask them direct if you can take your suspension parts etc off before its crushed ( tell me you got your wheels off though mate ).

But i doubt it they will let you, but i also doubt it that they will crush it with them on either, more likely lads there will have all salvageable parts for them selfs

cheers kenno
There are too many online users to list.