Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Cabby.The Project So Far... NOW SOLD :( !

Back to the top

Mk1 GTI Cabby.The Project So Far... NOW SOLD :( !

Thanks Carl.

That's what I'll do.

Got this week off work so I'll be cracking on.

Exterior tomorrow…

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
Hi, just read your post, love it gives me more ideas to do with my clipper. I am just having a complete respray at the moment and am waiting this week to see if he can get some top coat on the car. I just hope mine turns out as nice as yours and I will be a happy man.

Back to the top
Where did you get the BBS stickers/vinyls from?

I've been after a set but mrvinyl.co.uk where I got them before didn't have them.

Back to the top
Thanks,

Got the bbs decals from eBay.

Company called discount decals.

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
after reading your thread im really missing my last cabby ,keep up the good work its going to look amazing

Back to the top
Thanks very much!

Buy another!!??

Well she's home where she belongs and I started the task of putting her back together yesterday.

Starting at the front and working my way back.

Got the front bumper on…

I've never really liked how the indicators sat so far back in the bumper so I made up some spacers to push them out flush with the bumper…

How they sit now…

Think it look neater somehow?? Maybe just me?!

Next I fitted the new chrome grille. Not 100% about the grille yet. Not sure if I'm that keen.

Your thoughts?  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Just noticed that the left bezel isn't in line with the main grille…I'll sort that today!

Fitted the numberplate holder back on and my plate…

Starting to take shape now…

Moved back and fitted the Mk2 wiper mech back on. Left the wiper arms off till I know I've got the splines in the right place. Don't want any scratches on my paintwork!

Re-fitted the side repeaters next and that was about it for the day.

Got around to installing the electric aerial and hid the washer pipes and wiring. Pics to follow today with a whole lot more progress I hope!  :D  :D

Back to the top
Looking good! I like the chrome grill, thats because I've got one on mine! How did you mount the side headlight surrounds? On mine ive used the small plastic plug in the top corners, but where the lower mounting hole is on the trim, theres just a huge square hole on the front pannel????

Are you going to get the chrome side trims?

Back to the top
Thanks,

Mounted them using small nuts and bolts with large washers on the back (to overcome the large hole!)

I've got chrome side trims but have decided…the grille will be going.

Not sure why, just doesn't look right on my car. Yours looks great though! (Your car was the reason I got one!)

Bit more done today.

Fitted the elctric windows and central locking to the front doors.

Fitted the trims clips on drivers wing…

Trim fitted…

Fitted the trim on the passenger side…

and wing mirror…

Rear quarter trims fitted along with scraper seals and door rubbers…

Little bit of carbon fibre…

De-locked the door handle also as it's all going to work off the central locking. This was a pig to do as I bought rear door handles (without the barrel) but they were offset compared to the originals.

After a bit of thinking I adapted the keyless ones to work. More on that tomorrow…

The car looks purple in these pics?? Think the light in the garage is weird…doesn't produce the best pictures. Maybe it's me and my camera skills?  :)

THIS GRILLE WILL BE UP FOR SALE SHORTLY IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED. AS CLOSE TO MINT AS YOU WILL FIND. ALL CLIPS IN TACT. BADGE AND CHROME PERFECT EXCEPT FOR ONE TINY INDENTATION. BEZELS INCLUDED WITH MINT CHROME.

THESE ARE ALSO UP FOR SALE. DIDNT LIKE THE WAY THEY LOOKED ON THE CAR. MINT. BOTH HAVE CARBON FIBRE WRAP AT PRESENT BUT EASILY REMOVED IF REQUIRED.

Back to the top
Got her runing today so thought I'd add a quick video.

Runs sweet although it sounds alot louder on the video than in real life.

Anyway…hope you likeee…

Back to the top
its little things like moving the lens forward that make all the difference sometimes  i did the same with my last cabby ,i think the chrome grill looks great against the blue body shame your selling it  :?

Back to the top
Thanks very much.

Chrome grill sold…replacement ordered!

When you rebuild a car there's so many little things that probably wont ever be noticed by anyone else, but they take hours to get right!

What you driving now?

Back to the top
i would like to say my 83 tin top gti but its a long drawn out project but its getting there bit by bit ,ive had 3 cabby gti,s in the past so ive still got a soft spot for them .

Back to the top
Nice.

You'll get there in the end.

Since I've owned this car I've probably only done 200 miles.

Haven't really had any use out of it at all so far!

Roll on the AGM my 1st proper outing…

You going?

Back to the top
Looks nice pal just hope im up and runnin for AGM hopefully il get my seat covers in by then if not just be happy to get there and finnish rest off after

It dunt fit

Back to the top
Well the grille has gone!

Just waiting on my new one to arrive.

Started with the bodykit today.

Had to bond the arches on as I'd removed the inner lips when I rolled them.

Rear arch in place…

Arch bonded on. Used some tape and a G-Clamp to keep in position until dry…

Same treatment on the front…

Both on. Took me about an hour to get to this stage as I wanted them to sit right…

The sill trim was a bit of a pig. Bought a new cill trim rubber which was moving all over the place. Bonded it to the sill 1st, then fitted. Much easier!…

Put my 25mm spacers on the rears and 20mm on fronts.

Tought I'd get a couple of outside taster shots of the stance…

Obviously the wheels need a good clean up…

And a roof…

And the interior…

The list goes on! More tomorrow!

Back to the top
That is going to look fantastic when finished - the paint work looks excellent!

Back to the top
Hi looks the ducks nuts already going to be a stunning motor when it's finished……testimony to your Attention to detail. Pardon my ignorance was this a ravage orinally. Any you have given me the inspiration to start on my wife's sportline. Bouchay looks the dogs as well.
Ripped the interior out of it an found the windscreen seal has bee leaking for a year down the back of the dash and rotted the carpets and sound deadening not happy with autoglass or the miserable git from technicar in Sheffield who fitted the Clifford alarm a year ago. 'Ooh they did no tell me it was a cabriolet these are a pain' my 6 year old daughter could have done a better job. I would be ashamed If i had done that. A couple off snotty phone conversations coming upb on Monday.
I think I am going to start my own thread so please do not be offended if I duplicate some of the things you have done.

Back to the top
Thanks very much.

Any copying I take purely as a compliment!

Good luck with yours. Very naughty what they did.

The car is a gti originally. Only bought it for a cheap run around and a little tlc, but has turned into a real labour of love.

I'm worried everytime I leave the garage…have I turned the electric off?…disconnected the battery? etc etc!

Bit of OCD I think!

Can't get it insured for an agreed value until its finished.  :(  :(

Back to the top
Typing this on an iPad not dyslexic, predictive text ia a pain. I know how you feel about the agreed valuation. I have about 4k worth of new and second hand bits in the garage to improve. I have started mt thread today and I hope that anyone who reads it feels insired enough as I did by your thread to go for it.
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=775709#775709

Back to the top
Small update..

Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but I de-locked my front handles. Never know, it may help someone??

I Had to adapt some rear handles as they didn't operate the door catches (the place I bought them said they would!)

old and new handles…

The difference was the little white plastic plunger was offset on the new handle and didn't reach the catch inside the door.

Off set plunger compared to old handle…

1st step removed the little white plunger from new handle (just unscrewed)

Used a small m4 nut and bolt with washers.

Sandwiched washers in between the 'groove' to stop it from crushing when I tightened the nut and bolt.

Found an angled bracket in my toolbox which fitted perfect and set it to match the original door handle plunger position.

Old handle and new handle with adapted plunger…

Took a few small adjustments to get it to operate correctly but quite easy.

Refitted…no lock!

All works off my alarm central locking now. I still have a boot lock which works from a boot pop solenoid also. If i ever get stuck, I can climb in through the boot! Hopefully it won't happen!

There are too many online users to list.