Skip navigation

Mk1 Driver project VNT TURBO DIESEL

Back to the top

Mk1 Driver project VNT TURBO DIESEL

it seems that for the last few weeks I have mostly been lying in puddles of brake fluid swearing.

the rear o/s had three hard lines made up, before a REALLY sketchy double bubble flare managed to seal.

It was so sketchy that I couldn't leave it like that and ordered extra long rear lines to do away with the hard lines that run along the rear beam.

However having disturbed the fitting on the hard line to the chassis, they were both now leaking. They'd appear fine until the pressurised bleeder was fitted and they'd start to drip

Whilst this was going on I discovered the clutch master had also seized, I bought another that was full of rust and knackered seals , using bits from both I've made a usable unit, once bleed I find that the thick plate it is bolted to is flexing nicely and needs bracing
Made up a bracing plate from 4mm stainless and then welded a bracing bar back to the column.

two nights ago I fitted the rear lines (having to drop the rear beam AGAIN.) cutting off the old fittings and re-flaring the pipe. When the bleeder was fitted they held fluid but now the front offside is dripping.

I had to put the back end together before working on the front, which thankfully was a simply case of re-flaring the line and changing the nipple - never use TTE (thread-to-end) fittings with concave female fittings.

Finally the system is sealed and I can bleed it up.

Bear in mind the car has no front wheel and the front O/S is up on the jack so the rear N/S is tight to the wall. I start to bleed the rear and when I finally squeeze between wall and car - I find a new puddle of brake fluid.
Turns out the fitting wasn't tight, easy fix.:)

Finally I have the brakes bled and they are absolutely rock solid

To relieve the pain of all this hassle, I've added a few carbon bits to the engine bay and the body…..

Hopefully I can get the bonnet/tailgate and a couple of spots painted this weekend. And take it for a quick spin.

Back to the top
C'mon anoraks, I'd expect some banter or have you all done a Naboo and turned your back on me.  :wink:

Finally, three years have passed and I finally get to drive my golf.

Engine off, with the brace in place on the clutch master cyl, the action is short and all the ratios seem to engage, precisely - no hit or miss sloppy rod linkage here.

The engine fires instantly and I let it warm for a bit. Bear in mind I have two bolt in each wheel and none have been torqued. The front camber is obviously a mile out as the front end resembles the sort of broke look normally found on air-cooled VWs.

I snick into first and lurch out of the garage.

The engine seems noisy - not helped by the lack of bonnet, whiff of throttle and short shift into second and up the drive.

I do a few gentle runs up and down our drive and all seems fine so I return to the garage.

Walking back to the house I'm disappointed by the noise and the fact it seems quite slow - the turbo is fixed into it's most laggy position where it also has the potential for the most boost - maybe that's to blame???

A few hours later and I cant resist a quick spin again, I pull out of the garage and leave it sat on the drive idling whilst I check all is ok - the vac pump is wobbling and spewing oil, just a loose clamp.

I go for another quick spin, the motor seems quieter this time.

Temptation gets the better of me and I floor it in second, it starts to accelerate then  sweet baby jesus! everything goes a bit mental fast forward. I back off and coast to a halt.

In the mirror I can see a sizeable cloud which clears to reveal a thick black line, odd because I never felt any wheelspin but it did all happen a bit quick.  8O

I turn around and go back, as I approach the line, it's obvious why I felt no wheelspin.  :lol:

I'm laying darkies with soot.   :D

I appreciate I've been driving a poxy 1300 polo for 12 months but this Golf is quick, quicker than my 1.6TD caddy was, and that would leave a stock mk1 GTI.

Back to the top
Looking good as always 8)

There is nothing as satisfying as taking a project for its first spin…

Have you got your MOT booked yet?

Rich

Back to the top
I'd set myself a deadline of RR11 and Caddy Camping - it was a close thing…

The countdown to RR

Two weeks before….

Turned the pump down a bit to get rid of the soot and retarded the pump, it wouldn't run

Retimed (advanced) the pump and it still ran a bit rough with loads of white smoke so I added some more advance.

It ran quit well and took it for a spin, seemed pretty good- quicker low down but lacking the mental thrust I had earlier this week.

Then I realised a boost pipe was sat on the bench so it had no boost, should have the best of both worlds with that back plumbed in.

Only problem no was oil dripping out all over the sump, hopefully the gasket isn't sat right.

Knocked a few more jobs off the list today and resprayed the tailgate and bonnet - didn't go too well. Fisheyes on the bonnet and the prep on he tailgate was rushed - also the masking lifted and bled onto my black vinyl window surround.

Tuesday 16th (4 days to go)

crapola.

With the threat of a 100 mile drive as it's first outing, I decided I couldn't take a chance on the pump as it was.

So about 12:30 last night I decided to pull the pump and swap the 10mm head for a 9mm one.

By 2:30am it was stripped on the bench.

My boss sent me home early today so I cracked on with the pump and got it built, then the kids came home and I got sidelined with making dinner, running a bath, making the beds, reading stories and other manly things.

It was nearly nine when I was ready to bleed the pump, but it wont  1 and 3 spit a bit, 2 and 4 are dry.

It nearly starts but not quite, if it would start the pump would clear in a few minutes - I think it's grease used for the assembly that is blocking things up

MOT and caddy camping/retro rides is slowly slipping away  If it wont fire tomorrow it's game over.

I've been messing with the VNT controller tonight. It'll now cycle through the initialisation program and get to running mode.

There's no signal from the throttle position sensor so I've got to remove the circuit board and find out why not because the sensor is working fine.

It's measuring boost fine so damn close to working.

All irrelevant if the engine wont run, I'm hoping that leaving it sat overnight will soften the grease used for assembly and it'll push through the pump, if that doesnt work I'll swap the delivery nozzles out - it that doesn't work I'm looking at pulling the pump and there just isn't the time to do that.

Weds 17th 3 days….

BOO YAA - it runs, and better than ever :thumbs_up

done the tracking, it had 4 degrees of toe in - now it has 0.5 degree of toe out

Just have to get the wipers sorted, I've a spare set but it's a dash out job to swap them. I've swapped relays and the fault remains….

Thursday 18th 2 days

The brace, because the original was removed when the scuttle was scened, I put a brace backwards, bolted up under dash.

However the motor came out without removing the mechanism, thankfully I noticed the wiring was wrong and corrected that before toasting another motor - it had worked ok but slow was very fast and fast was slow.

Anyway - all sorted, now to fit the dash.

Finally finished at 3am friday morning, MOT in a bit…..

FRIDAY - MOT DAY - Caddy camping tomorrow!

Booked a half day, hurried home to get to the MOT station

it never failed the MOT

it never made the MOT.

Just leaving the drive, doing up the seatbelt and it pops open, I stop try it again, nope.
I try it in the passenger side clip, same problem.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH I've got golf belts and caddy clips.

Nevermind, not to waste my spare afternoon I adjusted the camber and did the tracking, making up a rig womble style.

Off to Andy's tonight to find some more clips, then MOT in the morning…….

Andy is harvesting so I left it as late as possible, and got there about 10.

SATURDAY - MOT DAY and Caddy camping day

With the MOT booked for 11 I left early, got about 4 miles and the engine noise seemed terminal, I turned around and started home again… thinking about 20VT conversions.
The noise subsided, so I did another U turn and headed for MOT.

The only instrument working on the dash is the charge light, the coolant temperature and the clock (which is showing the wrong time)

The only prob with the MOT was nothing reading on the rear nearside brake, the tester whipped the drum off, saw it was all new, adjusted the handbrake and said ' it'll get better as you drive it' and then issued an MOT.  :)

Now to get tax……the insurance docs haven't arrived, not on email at home or work either and it's not showing on ASKMID - no tax and no breakdown recovery details either.

I set off for Caddy camping, and met a mate in his Jetta.

Out on the road, the golf is OK, the coilovers ride is harsh, the tyre noise immense - but the stereo works (well, the USB sticks fall out),
It's pootling along nice, gearing is a bit low.

Meanwhile the Jetta is doing it's best to remove catseyes, it can't roll with ease in the slow lane because the hump in the middle of the road is scuffing the sump - so he is sat in the middle lane at just over 70 and getting all sorts of stares and hassle.

The Golf isn't so silly low and is fine, my drink bottle appeared to have leaked in the footwell a bit but that is the only mishap so far.

I pick up an apple that has rolled on the floor and chomp it happily…….it's a bit old and tastes funny but it'll do.

Several hours later, the Jetta low on juice and scraping it's way along b roads we find the campsite, it's now pitchblack..

A few minutes later I discover why my apple tasted odd, the heater pipes are dripping into the footwell; mmmmmmmm glycolly!

A further few minutes, the pipes are pulled out into the engine bay and the heater deleted, and I get the bonus of the hottest shower on the campsite.

Tents were put up

We were asked to move them

Some burgers were eaten

We were told to be quiet

Star Wars and then Lego were dissed - no one really cared for Star Wars.

Then off to bed.

Only to be woken early by two jovial fellows in the next tent finding much amusement in making a cup of tea at 5 am

Soon enough we were all packed and ready to head out to retro rides, my engine setup can be a tad smoky first thing,

I really pity the family that were enjoying alfresco breakfast slightly downwind.

A mile down the road and it's running clean, being chased by caddys to Prescott.

I arrived at the gate just as Muttley racing arrived out of the camping field with the teenage dirtbag on their tail.

Finally I'm in the gate - mission complete!…………..until;

The journey home,

Both of us had kids to get back to and cars with character so decided to bail out early - just in case.

I'd retimed my diesel pump during the afternoon and it started without too much smoke but clacked 'a bit'

Still progress was fine until this lumbering old car in front slowed me down,

Heading towards Brizol and the temp gauge was very, very slowly creeping up, the red light then started to flicker on and I was looking for somewhere to stop, the next junction was Cribbs Causeway and with a female in the convoy there was no way I'd risk stopping there so I limped to Gordano.

She slurped 3+ litres of water with ease

Luke noticed the front of his car was covered with black dots which we  (incorrectly) assumed was diesel.

Then I knocked the pump back a touch - concerned that the timing was causing the temperature to rise. On the journey up the temp hadn't budged even with some of the coolant swilling around the passenger footwell.

Then we gingerly set off again, as the miles racked up (well they didn't on my broke speedo) I became confident that the running temperature was fine and began to play with the whistle under the bonnet.

Had a bit of fun charging up the devon hills at the national speed limit, then the temp started to climb again.
We stopped within a few miles of home and I chucked another litre in the rad and set off again.

I rolled up at home, banging head, lay down for 20 minutes then got up to throw up - damn you hot weather!

It wasn't until I went out to the car a few hours later that I noticed a problem. A rather large pool of oil under the car and a nice thick trail down the length of the drive and down the road too.

A quick check and the turbo feed was cracked, this was soon fixed to reveal the main source of the leak, the filter had started to unscrew as well.
Thankfully it happened where it did as with no oil light I could have easily ran it dry.

So that's it - the epic shakedown run, I've now a huge list of niggles/issues to sort out - should be done for next year.

Washed it today and took a few snaps

Back to the top
wow what an epic journey you had, thank god for mk1 golfs to keep us busy at all times, bound to get things that need adjustments after doin the job youve done. wouldent be disheartend by it. the car looks amazing

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
Few tweaks needed after the shakedown.

swapping to a two notch gasket instead of a three.

add a cold start advance mech from a 1.6 pump to the 1.9 pump body

All this to get rid of the smoke at start-up and be able to run more power friendly timing setting.

Found a couple of problems, whilst pulling the head, water pump bolts were very loose, pump bracket bolts loose and the inlet manifold has 3 bolts fitted instead of 6.

Back to the top
Looks like good progress, keep the pix coming. If you ever decide to part with those door cappings pm me

Wife, kids, car……not necessarily in that order.

Back to the top
looks well smart! really really like this, subtle yet purposeful (even if it is a derv)

one question, what are the front lamps youve fitted in the bumper mount holes as i was planning on doing the same but couldnt find any the right size

thanks

mat

Back to the top
If you ever decide to part with those door cappings pm me

Those door cappings were old cracked and well past their best, I just coated them with evo stick contact adhesive, give it a few minutes to go off and then glued on some black leather look vinyl that had a similar layer of glue on it.
Job done!

what are the front lamps you've fitted in the bumper mount holes as i was planning on doing the same but couldnt find any the right size

Ring RL015 - small reversing light, available at most motor factors - even halfords!
You can also get a foglight RL014 that fits in the rear holes.

The look is protected by Cheeseman trademark though  :wink:

Meanwhile, I've rebuilt the motor with a thinner head gasket.

Running again - no smoke, no clack, more power and more boost. :)

I wound the pump up for more fuel but it looks like it'll take even more. Nice. :)

Back to the top
do you have to do piston protrusion measurements on those blocks to find out the correct head gasket thickness?

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
nice one!! where do i pay the royalties to for the idea ;)

mat

Back to the top
As winter approached, the hybrid 1.6/1.9 motor ran worse and worse due to the dropped compression and became ebarrassing at startup when it poured out white smoke.
So I searched for a suitable 1.9 bottom end and ended up paying scene prices for an AAZ…

Eventually it arrived and apart from a smashed alt plastic case, motor looks good.

Stripping it reveals all service parts are genuine VAG, the head is new, looks like it had injectors and glow plugs the same time.
Also has a set of recent first oversize pistons fitted, someone spent some cash on this motor in the last year.

Stripped and cleaned the block, then gave is a coat of high temp silver as a base coat…

…for the high temp green

With the engine built up with the ported head from my old engine and a new crank girdle I was set to drop it into the golf….

which when the rope snapped was exactly what happened.  :banghead:
Thankfully it did no damage on the way down apart from denting the gearbox end case and I had a perfect spare sat on a duff box.

Finally I get it in the right way round..

So I've run it for a bit, and now turned the fuel up some more so gave it a thrash on my local private test area, in fifth it is just getting into it's stride the wrong side of 100, I saw 110 and ran out of road, grateful for my uprated brakes.

Ironic that as I've ironed out all the teething troubles and it's running sweet that it looks like it has to be put up for sale.

Back to the top
nice car, i actually like the green detailing with the carbon...like one.
There are too many online users to list.