so it started out, a bit crusty in places, but none the less it looked good

so front wing off and im left with this

so out comes the grinder and welder and in with the new panel

then the drivers side wing came off
oh dear video
http://s34.photobucket…w&current=65KE0009mp4.flv

then thought ah bugger it take the whole lot off

back to work tomorow with my newly purchased bargainous welder
600 quid lincoln welder with variable power switch for body work welding, been used a few times, relativly new lance, roll of wire, some new tips some welding gloves  all for
170 quid

oh and for anyone taking the slam panel of a mk1 golf few words of advice
lots of cutting discs, preferably a 9 inch grinder, took bloody ages to cut that out :banghead:

Back to the top
update on work
got the welding on the inner wing done now, battery tray welded back in

checked to see if the slam panel fitted which it does

aswell as weld the steering rack up and a few other spots of welding

also drained out radiator, that was green and minging in there, got oil filter changed,
then decided to quickly make up an exhaust bracket for the far rear mount on the exhaust, because its a dodgy powerflow back box on there it had some stupid mount welded on by, most probably the same muppet who built the exhaust, and it fell off.
so racked by brains for a bit, and decided how to make an exahust mount. cut the towing eye off the old slam panel and weld it on, so the exhaust will fit on to it

bit of a tight fit, think i might redo it tomorow thow
(re did mount cut one side off for rubber to hook over and onto exhaust

Back to the top

slam panel all in on one side, just got the other inner wing to do, now on monday and it should be rolling again after ive done the big list on the window that is lol

end result

then gotta start moving backwards, sills rear arches rear corners rear valance, then roll it in for paint

Back to the top
:clap: nice work

makes me feel slow though as it took me 2 months of weekends to get my front end welded up  :oops:

would I be right in saying you do welding for a living?

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
You've been busy! Nice job! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

:clap: nice work

makes me feel slow though as it took me 2 months of weekends to get my front end welded up  :oops:

would I be right in saying you do welding for a living?
that  only took me a week lol, nah not a welder for a living, spray stuff for a living, im only 18, so its all a learning curve really

busy is not the word lol, its flat out for the past  week to get  it done for bvf, that was before my fuel  line exploded  :evil:

when i got some free time, well when i push it into my mates spray booth to spray, gunna grind down all the welds, and then TIG weld the front slam panel to the inner wings properly then get it sprayed.

Back to the top
8O fair play.. well it will look great when finished

you have much trouble getting the wings to fit flush?

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Nice fast work there :y: That was quite a bit of rot hidden away in the O/S inner wing especially considering how shiney it looks in the original photo.

Look forward to more pics.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
not to much, they do need adjuting, the gaps are  quick big but nothing a hammer and flappy disc wont sort out, and on the top lip i welded up the holes and redrilled them.
but i had so little metal to  work with originally was kinda hard. the passenger side didnt fit at all when i first  tryed it on spent ages getting it  to fit. then i took the  bolt out of the door pillar that held the old wing  on :roll:  :lol:  :lol: ahwell fitted fine  after that. forgot i had it in there as  i litterally pulled the wings of with my hands lol

Back to the top
looks like your doing some good work there old chap, what colour you gona spray it orginal mars?

keep it up go to the top of the class :notworthy:

p.s dont like those rims, gets some wide 13's ats classics rock my world 8O  :P

Back to the top

dojodubber said

looks like your doing some good work there old chap, what colour you gona spray it orginal mars?

keep it up go to the top of the class :notworthy:

p.s dont like those rims, gets some wide 13's ats classics rock my world 8O  :P
yes its going  mars red again, after ive bare metalled it, its had a dodgy respray, didnt realise how bad, would like to find the person that did it.
it wasnt keyed or primed, just a blow over, its flaking off on swage lines and its a massive orange, with all the orange peel on it, disgusting work, as a paint sprayer id be  ashamed to call it my work.
gotta go mars red ive bought the paint for it  now lol

13s and on the floor looks cool but its not what im going for, over done tbh and sick of seeing ats cups and classics everywhere so its staying on those  rims, and you cant get 13" eagle F1s  :wink:
eventually something like this till i can afford adaptor plates

but eventually gunna put some old skool dub rims on there
going onto a  set of these

Back to the top
nice job mate.

i think i might be doing something similar too soon.

a few questions…

did you do any work to the arm under the battery holder?

how much did the wing, and front section cost, or was it the original ones?

did you touch the front cross member?

cheers, Andrew

Back to the top

marsredgti said

nice job mate.

i think i might be doing something similar too soon.

a few questions…

did you do any work to the arm under the battery holder?

how much did the wing, and front section cost, or was it the original ones?

did you touch the front cross member?

cheers, Andrew
you mean the bumper brace where  the  bumper is sitting in  here

yeh previous person welded slam panel on there with stupidly thick welds and not  very good either so had  to cut the bottom out, and fabricate a new bit of metal in there, then put some good thich welds on it, did that on both sides also had to fill some holes with weld.

pm me for details on what body panels  you need

front cross member? the bit that sits belows the impact  arms, new one came on slam panel, had a whole new front end on it  basically.
there complete arses to get of, had to cut mine off from top corners first, then,

thats how your looking at cutting it out plus  a bit more comeplete nightmare, still better to do yourself, much more sense of achievment

Back to the top
well took it to the garage earlier, fueling problem sorted out now
the horrible noise it makes when trying to go into reverse is the CV. which i just had replaced but have found out that, the cv i was supplied with was the wrong one, and regardless it was still fitted, and when tightened up, noticed the wheel wouldnt turn, so ive been driving around with the main nut holding the discs,cv, driveshaft loose and about to come out :banghead: not at all amused with said garage for fitting it, lets just hope it gets down now
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.