Skip navigation

GTI Project #2

Back to the top

GTI Project #2

On the morning of the 14th I took these pics of the car out in the drive awaiting uplifting. The first time it has rolled outside for a fair few months.

and lastly from the rear

I was going to take a couple of it on the back of the lorry but my friend was busy and I didnt want to put him out anymore. Cant wait to get it back and start puting it back together. I think that there may be a chink of light at the end of the tunnel  :rockon:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Whist I have an empty garage I have stripped down the 2 engines that I had lying. One was a DX block and the other was an EV block. Ive taken them both along to my local engineering shop along with the camshafts pistons and crankshafts. They have checked out the bores on both blocks. The DX is borderline for maybe needing a rebore but the EV bores are good. Seems that they have had a rebore already.
So it looks like I'll be using the camshaft, head and crankshaft from the DX engine with the EV block and pistons. Just waiting for word from them then it will be time to fit all the new shells, shims and bearings.

Anyway I popped along to the bodyshop today and took some pics

They told me to come back on friday as they should have some of the panels painted. So Im looking forward to that.

Back to the top
Nice one Macca, you've made some great progress and the fuel neck panel repair you wouldn't notice, I guess that's a hard one to get right?

Looking forward to seeing the paint on ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yahoo!!!! Im going along to the paint shop to pick up the car tomorrow. Its all nice and shiney with nice decals on the sides and the rear hatch.

Back to the top
Well as usual I havent kept up to date with the pics. So here are what I have now.
My first view of the old girl with some new paint on

and another

Back home in my garage

and the inside

Then when the lovely weather started I rolled the car out and took some more pics

I have since fitted new rear lights and the two door mirrors. Talk about being peed off I marked the sunroof when refitting it  :banghead: However the painter came along for a look for me and its amazing what a bit of wet and dry and a buffer with some cutting compound can do in the right hands. No more mark on the sunroof yeeha.
Off tomorrow to collect some fuel line and brake line and the necessary fittings.

Back to the top
Wel Ive been on holiday this week so I have managed to get stuck in about refitting everything on the car. Although the bank account is taking a bit of a hammering with all the new bits Ive bought.  :cry:
I popped along to Clarick Engineering in Rosyth on monday and bought some 8mm kunifer fuel pipe, a roll of brake pipe and some various fittings, however I havent started either yet.
Bought a new head lining and some material to replace the tatty ones I had for the C pillars.
Ive just been digging things out, cleaning them or painting them or both then fitting them to the car.
I will take some pics of the car tomorrow and post them.
Is it easier to fit the windscreen before fitting the dash?

Back to the top
Wow I can't believe it's been that long since I posted on my thread. A lot of things have been done since then.

Back to the top

Macca said

Wow I can't believe it's been that long since I posted on my thread. A lot of things have been done since then.

Stick something up on it and some pics if you have them. Would be good to see.

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Macca said

Stick something up on it and some pics if you have them. Would be good to see.

..and then we'd believe you! LOL  :lol:  

(Says the man who hasn't touched his for 18 months!)  :$

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
great work Macca, alot of them problem areas would have put most people off, well done that man.

also great to see another mars red build up.

:thumbs:

Back to the top

mk1_Dips said

great work Macca, alot of them problem areas would have put most people off, well done that man.

also great to see another mars red build up.

:thumbs:

Cheers for that

Back to the top
Smudger and Hairy. You asked for it  ;)
Firstly I looked out my wiring looms and reinstalled them to the best I could remember.
Then I fitted the new headlining which I purchased from fleabay, all the way from Lithuania. 

Back to the top

It wasn't too bad to fit. Got some carpet adhesive and used that to stick around the windows etc.
I then bought some black vinyl and cut out some new material for the A and C pillars which again were glued in.

Back to the top
Looking good, you have done a lot of work! Will be good to see it all finished!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Great efforts mate :)

Back to the top
Cheers for the pics Macca ;) Looks like the paint is spot on

If you get chance, would you be able to put a pic up of the texture of the headlining? I was planning to buy one from Newton but seeing a recent post it looks like the material texture is different to the original one.

I've seen the ones on ebay from Lithuania but didn't know if OEM material or same as Newton's?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks everyone. There are more pics to come, but trying to post them using my phone is a pain. 
Andy I'm away with work tomorrow morning until tuesday night so will get the pics done on Wednesday. 

Back to the top
Car looks great Macca, really nice! Can't wait till I'm at that stage.

What did you use to cover the front of the rear wheel tubs?

Back to the top
After I fitted the headlining and refitted the sunroof with the help of rubjonny, my eldest son and I refitted the windows

Back to the top
Nice job, your son has earned his keep there for the day ;)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.