Skip navigation

Bit Of Mirror Polishing PG39

Back to the top

My Rivage Restoration

By the way.. Is rim wax any better than ordinary wax?.. In reality, what is the difference?..

Back to the top

walt said

Blimey big norm.. Tim really got a rise out of you there..  8O

I think they look great.. As we have discussed before, to replicate the original finish is something nobody has yet managed to do.. So the options really were paint, powder coat or polish.. If I remember rightly, they are made by the same company which made the porsche design 90's, hence the similarity and also the ability to polish them to the same bright shine as yours.. I used to know of a guy called Jimmy G with a rivage which was well featured in magazines.. He had a corrado leather interior, powerful audi engine (I think an S3) de tuned to 275 bhp and he ran that on the porsche design 90's.. He had them bead burnished which was basically rolled around in a huge washing machine type thing full of tiny beads which polish absolutely all of the rim.. They looked awesome and i would certainly have a set of those on my car..

From the pics I can see that only the face is polished and I am liking the subtle difference in shine of the two surfaces.. I'll look forward to seeing them back on the car..

I also notice that in one of your pics there is a very tiny le castellet in the background.. Do you have those wheels on absolutely everything at your house?..  8O

what was the original finish like? do you have a link to the previous discussion thread please?

Guy

91 Rivage project thread < its a slow process but getting there!

Back to the top
The original finish was a forged alloy, polished then by all accounts anodized and I think clear laquer.. On a couple of my wheels, there was a little bubbling on the inside, which is why I am sure they were clear laquered.. I was always under the impression (Only from what I could see coming off the small bubbled areas) that it was paint and clear laquer over a polished rim, however it was bignormrivage who informed me that they were anodised.. I did repair the tiny areas on the inside of my wheels with paint and clear laquer with really good results.. So i am sure they could be painted so a very similar finish to the originals..

Back to the top

walt said

By the way.. Is rim wax any better than ordinary wax?.. In reality, what is the difference?..

As for what it does Walt its pretty much the same.

However its a completly different texture to most wax.

Put it this way I wouldnt put rimwax on my paint.

I only bought it as I didnt want to waste the wax I use on the car.

Back to the top
The original finish was polished then anadised.

During the anadised process some of the shine is taken away hence why mine are so shiney.

By the way Walt, well done for spotting the tiny le castellet in the backkround ;-)

Back to the top
I wonder how many perfect original le castellets are hidden away because they are from a set where one or more got damaged?..

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

Tian said

They are very bling! You like them though so that's what counts.

If you're after a lifetime exhaust, I can recommend one.

T

I agree they are bling.

Like I said they have had 2 coats of rimwax which adds to the shine and the lighting in the house makes them stand out more.

Who can you recommend mate?

I will be after one that looks exactly like the original but stainless.

This is what I went for but if you'll obviously have your existing one with you so all you need to do it to ask them to match that one instead.

T

Back to the top
rivage???? is that what that golf shape is called? the reason im asking is that ive just bought an identical one and want the interior done too, whos doing the interior and how much is it??

Back to the top
Ceri

What a great result, they look mint.

You going for a marketing slot with Rim Wax lol, some great shots there, you should send em to them for thier website see if you can get some royalties :-)

Nice T.V as well ha ha

When you heading up to the AGM on the Friday or Sat morning, we could meet up and convoy up together ?

Hope you get exhaust sorted and keep up the good work, your motor is getting nicer and nicer by the day! come on leaps and bounds since i seen it at Volksfest Wales last year!

You facny Bristol Volksfest on the 10-12th June, gona be a good show ! :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Ceri

Your wheels look ace mate and will suit the car perfectly !!

I just got a quote from powerflow for a custom stainless exhaust for £340 without manifold so might try them when the wife says I am allowed ;-)

I am going to my first VW show on Sat and the wee car is on Lothian VW Clubs stand so we will see how it goes ???

I used rimwax once but I squeaked for a week when I walked ;-(

Bling Bling Chris

Back to the top

walt said

I wonder how many perfect original le castellets are hidden away because they are from a set where one or more got damaged?..

I bet theres quite a few walt.

Back to the top
Thats a nice looking exhaust Tian.

When I say I want it exactly the same as long its a similar size im happy.

Back to the top

89blackcabbie said

rivage???? is that what that golf shape is called? the reason im asking is that ive just bought an identical one and want the interior done too, whos doing the interior and how much is it??

The Rivage is the model mate.

It was produced the same time as the sportline as s car to see the mk1 cab out.

Back to the top

richyhill said

Ceri

What a great result, they look mint.

You going for a marketing slot with Rim Wax lol, some great shots there, you should send em to them for thier website see if you can get some royalties :-)

Nice T.V as well ha ha

When you heading up to the AGM on the Friday or Sat morning, we could meet up and convoy up together ?

Hope you get exhaust sorted and keep up the good work, your motor is getting nicer and nicer by the day! come on leaps and bounds since i seen it at Volksfest Wales last year!

You facny Bristol Volksfest on the 10-12th June, gona be a good show ! :-)

Cheers Rich.

Yeah its come on a bit since last Volksfest.

At the moment I can only make the AGM of the show day (sunday) but I am trying to get the saturday off.

What day you going up? If its saturday and I get it off then yeah ill convoy up with you.

As for Bristol Volksfest I cant get time off work  :(

Ceri.

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Ceri

Your wheels look ace mate and will suit the car perfectly !!

I just got a quote from powerflow for a custom stainless exhaust for £340 without manifold so might try them when the wife says I am allowed ;-)

I am going to my first VW show on Sat and the wee car is on Lothian VW Clubs stand so we will see how it goes ???

Bling Bling Chris

Cheers chris.

I had a quote with longlife today and it was £270 for the full system of my choice.

Oh and I actually spat my drink out reading your last comment  :lol:

Back to the top
Ceri

Didn't know about longlife so just found them only 15 miles away so just emailed them and we will see what happens.

Are you getting a stainless manifold as well or is it just overkill?

Seen a few manifolds on eBay for approx £150 to £200 .

Chris

Back to the top
Im not sure if they do manifolds, they proberly do but I didnt ask.

If they do them and there price is ok then I will go for one.

If not then I can always go for one at a later date.

Aint the ones in ebay chrome dipped rather than stainless steel?

Ill have to have a look.

Back to the top
T304 steel I think but not my field of expertise!

They come with 10 ye supposed warranty so they must be stainless ?

I am looking forward to seeing the reaction to my motor at the weekend as it will give me a better idea to it's condition from hopefully more informed people.

Not that it matters as it is my baby!!!

Remember rimwax is not just for Xmas it's for life, squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak …………I hate jogging:-)

Chris

Back to the top
Just had a look now and yeah they are stainless steel.

Dont know which one I would need tho.

I have emailed longlife asking if they do manifolds.

I shall await there response.

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Ceri

Bling Bling Chris

that's ringwax fella!  :lol:

Guy

91 Rivage project thread < its a slow process but getting there!
There are too many online users to list.