Skip navigation

1982 Tin Top GTI

Back to the top

1982 Tin Top GTI

Had this car a while, but just getting round to sorting it out, so thought a thread should be in order

I got it from Brighton last year, with a crease in the rear panel, but the photo of it on Brighton Beach did it for me…and luckily it drove the 345 miles back to Newcastle without a hitch :)

Since getting it back to Tha Toon, I've been hit by a BMW on one wing, and a cavavan on the other…

So it's at MOT station right now…and will know the score tomorrow on the failure sheet if it fails.

I've got to get two wings and a rear panel…other than that…it looks very OEM, bar the Mim 1900's :)

Pictures I'll add later, just wanted to kick a thread off…

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
So spent from 12 til 11pm at my my garage on saturday…and learnt how to change rear brake shoes…amongst other things…took me hours to get the first one done, then the second was about an hour…bit fiddly like

a) Exhaust not supported - Done
b) Offside CJ joint - should have a replacement
c) No Horn - now a dab hand at wiring these into mk1's
d) Offside front indicator not working - Done
e) Offside stop lamp affected by another lamp - as above…Unsure
f) Fuel Pipe leaking Shocked - Unsure
g) Sevice brakes rubbish - A lot better with the new shoes on the back
h) Parking brake rubbish - Well sorted this, with new shoes

So got Horn, CV boot, and check fuel leak and lights… and should be good to go…

Also fitted radiator clips and a bonnet stay clip

So MOT re-submission should be a go for early this week

Better view of the crease in this picture…

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top
good man for cracking on sorting the problems looking forward to the next update saying its got a MOT  :)

Back to the top
Cheers, i'm really chuffed i've sussed those shoes, always wanted to know how to do them, and glad i did trail and error, as i had been shown, but badly, so it never went it :)

Not looking forward to the CV Boot, i guess it's a ball joint pop, and drive shaft out, then end off driveshaft job?!

Still gutted at the panel damage, on what was a lovely car beforehand, hope the wings/back panel can be matched, when ever I can get it done…

But MOT is an almost certainty, as long as the fuel leak, doesn't spring up  8O

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.