Skip navigation

1300 dies while idling or driving

Back to the top

1300 dies while idling or driving

Hi guys, hope you can help, a friend has an '84 mk1 1300, last week it just started to die on him while idling, after about 1 min, and also while driving if petrol is given to accelerate. We took the carb apart, replaced the diaphram, and o rings, and cleaned the rest. Still got the same problem. Is it possibly the needle and seat???

we suspect its the needle and seat as that would explain why it idles, and then when the float is empty, dies.

please help,

'04 golf 4 1.9 tdi

'05 citi golf 1.4i

Back to the top
Have you tried opening the carb at the point AFTER it dies, this would show if the carb was full of fuel or not ? Another possibility if it was empty could be the mechanical fuel pump on the back of the block ( driven off camshaft lobe ), make sure this is tight to the block, if it is try swapping it for another if fault continues. Let us know how you get on

cheers

Back to the top
hi guys, the petrol pump is fine, the needle and seat was repleced, the float is full, and does not run empty, so it is not a lack of fuel.
the fuel filter has also been replaced.
at stages this weekend, it would not even start, even though it had plenty of fuel, and the battery is in great shape….
help.

'04 golf 4 1.9 tdi

'05 citi golf 1.4i

Back to the top
Ok, problem solved :D

it was the "module"
the computer box thing that powers the coil, it sits on a shiny square near the fan below the windscreen.
only discovered after we told someone we had replaced battery, coil, iginition cables, spark plugsand done the replacement kit on the carb!

if only we'd known earlier.
 well, now its really running like a dream. :D

'04 golf 4 1.9 tdi

'05 citi golf 1.4i
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.