Skip navigation

Smudger's 20vt Project A.K.A Patsy. (Update 07/06/2015 Got the love back)

Back to the top

Smudger's 20vt Winter 2012 Project (UPDATE 23/12/12)

Yep I got oil pressure gauge runs high on warm up low on full warm up. We got stereo hole for gauges then remove ash tray we have room for another 3 gauges. So that 6 gauges . I'm running a modifed engine im gunna use all holes for gauges. Not to look good to help me when im thraping around the track 7000rpm in each gear. Of all gauges what I have read and seen people say afr gauge is a must on turbo cars especially if U fitted a bigger turbo or injectors. So that's 5 more gauges left. Oil pressure . Oil temp boost ECT the more the better

Back to the top
I'm leaning towards 3 gauges 1) Water temp 2) Boost & 3) Oil Pressure. Then something similar to what Joe linked to on the previous page. Don't think I need 6 gauges really. Each to their own I reckon though.

Back to the top
if i was running megasquirt id want all the gauges i could lay my hands on.

Back to the top

JonP said

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Good job I am going OEM then.

Just a quick update on the Loom. The legend that is JonP has sent it off to a contact to see if it can be salvaged and made good again. :)

Back to the top

JonP said

:ocf_emoticons__eek:

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
True each to there own . I like to play it safe after grands have been spent already.  

Back to the top
hey man ….. ive just joined on this thread now and im new to this forum !… from south Africa and am looking at doin a very similar build in the months to come !!!….

you're car looks great man !!! … cant wait to see some vids of this

Back to the top
Thanks Mange. Should hopefully be running this month with a bit of luck with the loom. :)

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

I love how the last page of  posts could have been written in Mongolian and I still wouldn't understand them any less :-)

Chris, im with you on this one mate. :lol:  
Smudger, I take my hat off to you. The car is looking good. I bet it will shift when you get it finished. It took me to get mine sorted with the standard engine and running gear. Over 5 years and a few questions on here and im about finished though.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
This month? That's great news for you Andy. Happy days mate!!

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

I'm using OEM ECU though mate so haven't lost sensors like you have with the megasquirt. I need the downpipe sensor hole for the lambda. :)

Good stage to be at now smudge :thumbs:
For the afr gauge could u not maybe just connect into the existing  lambda? Just a thought.. Or fit the afr one and connect your loom plug to it? 

I would seriously think about changing to oem on mine only so I could fit one if these.

Looks a cool bit of kit with diagnostics, being able to clear codes, everything needed plus way more! I can't work out how to post a link but at £195 for all it does is a bargin imo :)

Last edit: by Dubbuds

Back to the top

Back to the top
Wow that gauge is amazing make me wanna go oem and good price

Back to the top
Yeah I am liking this gauge a lot. I think the downpipe would need to come off to fit an AFR gauge as you can't share the holes as far as I am aware.

Seems a good price at £195. Will get the car running and seriously look at it. :)EDIT………..Looking at THIS page it looks like the one I would need costs £185. It's going on the shopping list I think for the coming months ;)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Yeah I am liking this gauge a lot. I think the downpipe would need to come off to fit an AFR gauge as you can't share the holes as far as I am aware.

Seems a good price at £195. Will get the car running and seriously look at it. :)EDIT………..Looking at THIS page it looks like the one I would need costs £185. It's going on the shopping list I think for the coming months ;)

Nice one seems a good box of tricks :thumbs:

I mean actually share the lambda sensor so u only have one.. ie try piggy back the wiring that should work I would think.

Back to the top
The beauty of the Race Diagnostics kit above is it plugs into the OBD port I think so I am not convinced I would need an AFR gauge as well.

Back to the top
I love to have that kit . U wouldn't need any other gauges its got everything. I paid £150 for afr wideband and that priced at £185 is a bargin

Back to the top
I think so too Pete, It's on the wishlist :)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

The beauty of the Race Diagnostics kit above is it plugs into the OBD port I think so I am not convinced I would need an AFR gauge as well.

No you won't need it with this. Ud have gauges everywhere trying to match what this does and still wouldn't be close :cool:

Back to the top
All this talk about turbos. I blew the turbo on my A3 2.0 tdi sportback last night. On top of the hefty bill for a new blower it cost me £97 to upgrade my AA roadside assistance so they would take my car home  :(

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!
There are too many online users to list.