Skip navigation

Smudger's 20vt Project A.K.A Patsy. (Update 07/06/2015 Got the love back)

Back to the top

Smudger's 20vt Winter 2012 Project (UPDATE 23/12/12)

smudger1980 said

Dubbuds said

Nice updates there ;)  what will your gauges be reading?

I have a Depo 52mm water temp gauge already but still undecided on the other 2. Am considering oil temp/pressure and/or a boost gauge. Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Boooost!  :thumbs:  :thumbs: VDO do a nice original looking one that I've got my eye on:
http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11584_Illuminated-VDO-Boost-Gauge--1-Bar-to--1-5-Bar.html/MSsid/cktmkancukdonqempmhv9idbe2

or boost/AFR combined gauge?

I'm having a bit of a dilemma about which of my gauges (oil temp, pressure or voltage) to drop in favour of a boost gauge!

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Boost gauge

. Afr gauge. Oil pressure gauge. What U want

Back to the top
I'm having this dilemma too guys. Pete AFR is ballache for me now as I would have to take off the downpipe and have another bung welded in to take the attachment.

Might go for oil pressure and boost from Depo to have a matching set. in there. :)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

I'm having this dilemma too guys. Pete AFR is ballache for me now as I would have to take off the downpipe and have another bung welded in to take the attachment.

Might go for oil pressure and boost from Depo to have a matching set. in there. :)

I have Newsouth Indigo Boost, Oil Pressure and Voltage gauges in my centre console. I did contemplate AFR but decided against it, I wish I had now though as I'm still not 100% sure my Lambda is working. They all match my Lupo clocks which are backlit with the same blue. My dash is currently on my 'sort' list too.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Use the bung on the trackslag Dow pipe. On  turbo modified engine a age gauge to me is a must it tells U at all times how the engine behaving. It could save U loads if U run lean on boost. Me I got a eBay oil pressure and eBay boost gauge matching same as vdo but cost £15 quid each and do the job. Gave same reading as dyno last week. plus side of wideband U can tune yourself like I have done on my ideling.

Back to the top
I'm using OEM ECU though mate so haven't lost sensors like you have with the megasquirt. I need the downpipe sensor hole for the lambda. :)

Back to the top
Takes a hr to remove down pipe its worth it       

Back to the top
Before you do what Pete's saying Smudge, have a look at this:

http://racediagnostics.com/cms/index.php?page=liquidgolf-options

This is the route I'm going, saves messing with my exhaust and is effectively like having VCDS plugged into the ECU all the time, will graph and map your AFR as well as a lot of other values for not much more than the cost of a decent gauge. Plus it looks pimp! :thumbs:Would require some thoughtful mounting though, I am having a custom dash fascia so it's not a problem for me. I am confirming if it supports AFR or not, it says missing but with a ? after it.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
an air to fuel ratio would be very handy to have even just for peace of mind

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Before you do what Pete's saying Smudge, have a look at this:

http://racediagnostics.com/cms/index.php?page=liquidgolf-options

This is the route I'm going, saves messing with my exhaust and is effectively like having VCDS plugged into the ECU all the time, will graph and map your AFR as well as a lot of other values for not much more than the cost of a decent gauge. Plus it looks pimp! :thumbs:Would require some thoughtful mounting though, I am having a custom dash fascia so it's not a problem for me. I am confirming if it supports AFR or not, it says missing but with a ? after it.

I'm liking the idea of this mate if it does AFR as well. Let me know how your enquiries go. Looks like it's just plug and play. :)

Back to the top
Does fault codes too which is a plus :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Does fault codes too which is a plus :thumbs:

I feel a custom holder fabrication job coming on :lol:

Back to the top
does look slightly more subtle than an I pad in the dash lol

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

does look slightly more subtle than an I pad in the dash lol

I'm looking into modifying the original boost gauge holder by the gear stick in some way to accept something like this so if suitable it would be great. My 3 gauges will be above where the ashtray was as pictured on the previous page. :)

Back to the top
I love how the last page of  posts could have been written in Mongolian and I still wouldn't understand them any less :-)

Back to the top
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Chris. What don't you get?

Back to the top
Eh ????

ALL of it :-)

The last time I had AFR and VCDS I went to the docs and got some cream ;-)

Back to the top
oil pressure, tells you a lot quicker if your engine is going kaput!

AFR should never fluctuate to far unless you have a bad map.

Back to the top
On a turbo modified  afr gauge is a must. for the sake of what £150 quid after U spent grands U bonkers. If U only driving your 20v to shows off boost then yeh not worth it . If U put a 20v in your car U oviously want more power so U gunna thrape it so yeh a afr gauge is needed

Back to the top
i'd want to know there was oil in my engine and my turbo the moment there isn't its bye bye bottom end and turbo.

There are too many online users to list.