Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

pazwaa said

Would definitely seem like the right hand side is too long. Or they've sent you the wrong piece??

Annoying when standard parts that should fit, dont!!  :(

Matt

Yup. The tube has all the correct part no.s on etc , anyway email has been sent to Custom Cages for confirmation. Dremel on standby!!

Back to the top
More backwards steps and annoying issues found today.

Firstly the plastic cover on interior light was so brittle it fell into lots of bits when removing from the headlining.

The corner of the left hand side foot well has a small rust hole

and the heater matrix is now leaking :dry:Doh!

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

pazwaa said

Would definitely seem like the right hand side is too long. Or they've sent you the wrong piece??

Annoying when standard parts that should fit, dont!!  :(

Matt

Yup. The tube has all the correct part no.s on etc , anyway email has been sent to Custom Cages for confirmation. Dremel on standby!!

I received a reply from CC today confirming that the right hand side just needs cutting down, once the left hand side has been fitted.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Strange how you have to cut that piece to suit, would think they could provide it at the right length like the rest. But at least you can crack on now  :thumbs:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Strange how you have to cut that piece to suit, would think they could provide it at the right length like the rest. But at least you can crack on now  :thumbs:

That was an error on there part, but I guess it's better being to long than too short  :lol:

Back to the top
In between the rain at the weekend, I manage to finish the B Pillar mounting points and they have now been zinc rich weld through primered.

Rear turrets cleaned in preparation for mounting plates:

and minor surgery on the dashboard panel to trial fit the A pillars :o

Back to the top
As I have mentioned previously, I have tried to stick with the OEM+ look, improving and upgrading parts, but keeping the overall look of the car original.

The plan with the roll cage is the refit all the original interior afterwards, my take on what VW would have done if they did a clubsport MK1 Golf GTI :)Inspiration is taken from MK7 Clubsport S version, but without the 40k price tag!! ;)However in fitting the front part of the roll cage I have now come across two more issues, firstly the bonnet release catch will need relocating and remounting as the A pillar tubes cover the original fixing points.

And secondly and more importantly I can no longer shut the doors unfortunately with the original door cards fitted! O_o 

Back to the top
I have now made a start on welding in the rear stay mounts.

Anyone that has done any welding will know how much heat can spread across panels that you are welding, so can be  very easy to overheat the metal and distort the panel, which is not a good thing!

However, there's a great solution to this and that is to use Cold Front, simply place around the welding area and it creates a barrier and stops any heat from spreading. Very clever stuff.  :thumbs: 

Back to the top
Finally I've found some time to continue the installation of the roll cage. It's been a frustrating process, as I had experienced issues with the wire feed on my MIG welder, I eventually managed to sort this out today with a new roll of wire, fresh bottle of welding gas and a new tip :)

So main door bars on both sides now welded in, as well as the main four point hoop, front screen bar and A pillars.

The above picture is of the door bar prior to using straps to pull the A pillars inwards off the brackets, allowing access to the back of the bars so that you can complete the welding right around the tubing.:thumbs: 

Back to the top
I managed to get a bit more done today, not far from being finished now  :)Lower door bars profiled ready to weld.

Rear diagonal profiled ready to weld.

Back to the top
Great work!

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top

scottyr1 said

Great work!

Thanks! Slow progress but it's getting there..

Back to the top
Very nice work, very inspiring.

Daz

Back to the top

Dazzlin34 said

Very nice work, very inspiring.

Daz

Thanks!  :thumbs:

The recent work seems to have taken ages. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back together in the next week or to.

Back to the top
I love reading work like this. And it's Lhasa!! :P

Back to the top

Gooly said

I love reading work like this. And it's Lhasa!! :P

Thanks for that. Hopefully I'll have some more updates at the weekend.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
cage looks sick great job

Back to the top

gelstharp said

cage looks sick great job

Thanks  :)

I've just got the rear harness tubes to install, but need to ensure they line up within 15Deg's of the seats.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I'd noticed a small leak with in the driver footwell coming from the heater matrix, so while the dashboard was out I order a new heater matrix and hoses from VW Heritage, fast delivery, so I managed to get them fitted this weekend.

Shiny new heater matrix and new hoses (just as a precautionary measure as these have been on the car since new).

Literally took no more than 15 minutes to drain the coolant, disconnect the hoses from the matrix, remove the old matrix….

..cut down the new hoses (not quite direct replacement O_o) to fit and then connect everything back up.

Jobs a good 'un. :thumbs: 

Back to the top
I also received the A pillar gussets for the cage this week, I ordered these separate so that I could confirm the size I needed first.

ARRG Time: This was the *FIRST* time since the car left VW that the windscreen has been removed from the car, which is needed to fit the gussets, unfortunately after removal and inspection of the surface rust I've now got some more bodywork to do  :'(

There are too many online users to list.