Skip navigation

Massbad69's Sportline - Back again

Back to the top
Thanks to Rubjohnny for putting me in the correct direction to get a gearbox gasket set and full gearbox seal kit seal kit  :mrgreen:

Also thanks to gavb95 for his powdercoated selector cover plate  :mrgreen:  

So just need to know or decide whether to get powder coated gearbox mounts, 2 x driveshaft seals and clutch rod seal kit.

I think that will then be everything for the full changeover but as I am not the most knowledgable I might be wrong  :dontknow:

The garage that will be doing the box rebuild and replacing all the parts for me will get anything the gearbox needs when they open it up and see what condition the AUG box is in but it was in good running condition so hopefully it will need the basics only.

Back to the top
Rightly or wrongly I just bought the powder coated side and rear gearbox mounts from CQ's and hopefully I am getting the gearbox in to the garage on the 1st Feb for the box rebuild BUT the missus is properley not amused in the need to change the working gearbox thats already on the car.

I can see her point  :| but its too late now I have bought nearly everything  :wink:

Back to the top
Gearbox going into the garage on Wednesday for rebuild and a chat with the guys to see if I have got everything ?

Just bought a new water pump and casing, so now thinking about a new starter motor and then along with my new alternator and water pump, strip all the old stuff off, then degrease the engine and when all of it is clear possibly paint the lower engine block when it's in situ before putting all the new shiny bits back on?
It's still too cold though so it will need to wait a month or so.

Prepped, primed and sprayed my new/old gti wiper arms last night but they came up poor so need to get them well sanded down.

Also prepped and primed the brake linkage but not the servo yet to see how good or bad I am with a rattle can and they look great, so I will comPlete the servo and linkage refurb soon and either sell them or keep them as spares ?

My only prob is how much is the gearbox rebuild and fitting going to cost and do I tell missus the true price ?

Cheers Chris

Back to the top
If you only lived closer chris i could have fitted for you.other wize great work mate.

Back to the top

mike_turbo said

If you only lived closer chris i could have fitted for you.other wize great work mate.

Thanks for the thought Mike, I wish you lived closer too ;-)

This is my 3rd Sat and Sun at work in a row for the extra pennies but I still think I will get a fright at the cost of the box etc !!

I wish my mechanical skills were as good as my enthusiasm but I will improve all the time.

Hope your cars coming along well ?

Back to the top
Now just bought new starter motor from German eBay so apart from having to paint up the WUR and oil filter bracket thingy I think I have all the nice new and shiny parts ordered for springtime for getting the bay as finished as I will manage.

Also still got to degrease the lower half of the bulkhead area which will be fun later in the year :-)

Back to the top
The gearbo is away to get rebuilt but they are very busy so probably won't need to take the car in for 4 - 6 weeks for getting it fitted with all my new parts :-)

Anybody want to pay the bill for me?

Also got a new job today - Scaffold superintendent in Grangemouth Refinery:-)

Cheers Chris

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Cheers Chris

Well done on the new job Chris.Don't take your beauty to work cos the shit from the refinery that will land on it. i should know I live up the road from it.

G

Back to the top

geestur said

Massbad69 said

Cheers Chris

Well done on the new job Chris.Don't take your beauty to work cos the daffodil from the refinery that will land on it. i should know I live up the road from it.

G

Cheers, rather you living there than me, I've worked there before in the 1990's and hated leaving my motor in the car park but no chance of the mk1 going!!!

Back to the top
Locked in my double garage with my older son, managed to get a couple of wee bits done this morning in the cold.

Cleaned, waxed and put the original ra's back on.
Fitted my newly refurbed wipers.
Completed the spare brake linkage refurb.
Prepared and primed the vacuum valve thingy  :dontknow:
Got my new water pump and casing.
Fitted the new ducting stainless clips.

Took a couple of pics.

Vacuum thingy in primer

Refurbed wiper

Stainless clips

Refurbed spare brake linkage

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
Well done chris for getting the job,now you can keep the other half happy when you are buying all those parts.

Back to the top
A few hours on the motor today as well, cleaned the engine bay and carried on with the refurbing of my spare brake linkage, servo and master cylinder.

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
That bay is looking great Chris.

Cant wait to start on mine once I move into my new house.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

That bay is looking great Chris.

Cant wait to start on mine once I move into my new house.

It is worth it but when you do 1 bit it then makes something else look old, tired or dirty  :|

I am looking forward to getting my rebuilt bearbox fitted in a month or so, they have told me not to get it painted in case it cracks and peels later, so at the moment it will just get a light sandblast I think and with all the zinc and powdercoated bits that I have got as well as all the new linkage parts I hope to have a spot on gear change  :dontknow:  

Then with my mate, I will fit all the new parts at the left hand side of the block, waterpump/casing, starter motor, alternator and brackets/bolts and give the bottom half of the block a good degrease when everything is off and I was going to hand paint the block but Im just going to clean it at the mo but I might change my mind at the time  :dontknow:

Hope your house move goes well and roll on the better weather  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Impressive work going on there with the referbing Chris. Bay looks soo clean.

Back to the top
I want one! :banghead:

Nice work.

Back to the top
Thanks Watson and Geestur, hopefully when the better weather arrives I can get the bay to the best standard that I can !!
It will never be a patch on yours though Watson  :(

Back to the top
Managed to get my hands on a new servo so delighted, it will go with my newly refurbed linkage and master cylinder.
Might get a new master cylinder and now on the look out for a new resevoir!!

Back to the top
Indeed nice work… that engine bay is looking top class!

When the rest of the new bits go in it will be like factory finish. Well done fella… Top job…

Looking forward to the sun coming out now…

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Spotless! There's a lot of patience under your bonnet!! 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.