Skip navigation

Driver, to 16 valver, 2017 rebuild!

Back to the top
Well its nearly been a year since I posted in this build 8O  Its all fixed now, and in fact it has allowed me to sort other parts of the car that were annoying me, and develop it a bit more, but most importantly i've driven it, and driven it hard! :D

A few pics old and new to get it up to date.

Removed the bonnet stay bracket from the old front panel, and welded it to the new one.

Primed and seam sealed the front panel in, and painted it with cans, came out alright.

As I had the wings off etc, I thought it was a good time to notch the driver side chassis leg, (A job I wanted to do for ages, but couldn't be arsed!) Had a good look at it, got my mate to get me some 2.5" gas pipe and cut it down its length. I then made templates etc, ready to finally cut metal.

Marked it out,

Started to cut it out, cutting smaller than the line so I don't take too much metal out.

All cut out.

Made the piece to go in there out of the gas pipe, (wall thickness is as close as possible to the chassis rail metal thickness, to make it easier to weld in).

Got a nice snug fit,

Welded it in,

Underside,

On the other side I remove the flange bit, and welded the seam up, gives a little more room, just in case.

Starting to come back together again!

Fitted 2 new temp senders, and had to change the connectors to fit them, I put heat shrink over the red plastic, (hate seeing loads of those crimp connectors :lol: )

Old water jacket was toast, god knows why I did'nt replace it before ?!  Note the oil in the coolant…

Nice new one,

Seems as its 2011, I had to get my stance on lol! But really, I was never happy with how the car sat before, so I brought a Gunson camber gauge and set the fronts up to just slightly tuck the rim. And fitted 20mm hub centric spacers to the rear for a tiny bit of poke, (not so much it looks like a shitting dog!)

Seems as I had smashed my original front lights up, I only had my old gash crystal clears, so as I have never split any lights down before, I fired the oven up to 160 degrees, and let them bake for 10 mins each :)  I then gave them a smoke, but probably went a bit heavy, as they would be crap at night lol! I quite like the look of them for a change, plus I was gonna chuck the crystals out anyway!

Also I made some radiator brackets out of an old coat stand, used the bit you put your umbrellas in!

Then spent the next few nights finishing off all the small bits and pieces, uk pressed plates, swage line trim etc, got it taxed, and got it ready to go to bristol volksfest. Which was wet and a bit rubbish! (£25 to camp for one night, and leave early morning, soaked through….)

Moved it out of the garage, and put the mk2 gti in there, ready for the tdi conversion, and took some pics with the golf c, (excuse lack of swage line trim, and gash euro plate!)

Missed it so much! Love the 16v, ragged the crap out of it pretty much all the way there, needlessly changing down into 2nd and screaming it along quite a few times :D  Though the tires where rubbing when ragging it round roundabouts, so I may raise it up a little, as it built to be driven.
      ———————————————————————————-

Just a little update with some pics from getting lost on the way to retro rides :lol:  

And some old pics from the early parts of the build, which is about 7 years ago now!!

The original rubbish, damp garage, looks a mess to!

Building it back up, note number plate on the splitter, oh yeah!!!

Check out my 5 spokes! Sold for £40 and 24 cans of 4x lager!

Whos this goon! :lol:

Oh and my mother's idea for my 18th birthday cake :)

All in all it's been great to have my mk1 back on the road again, after so long in the garage. I drove until the tax ran out end of october, and now its in a rented garage, awaiting a few changes and more jobs I never got round to doing (mk1's are never finished!), then back out next year :D

Cheers for looking!

Pete.

Back to the top
Coming along great man :)

Back to the top
Just so I don't lose this thread, bump it up with a pic :wink:

2012 eh! Got a few changes planed for the inside, and overall to keep on developing it, and enjoying it.

Oh and trip to the rollers :D

Back to the top
bump :p cars looking great pete

Back to the top
Its been a while since a update, so a few pics from Retro rides gathering to bump this up :wink:

Above was last years RR gathering, and below this years.

I didn't take the above photos, so got a nice bit of red & white banner tape in there  :P

But in short since last year;

Smaller rear spacers (10mm)
Raised it up
Broke down (sticking metering head flap) :roll:
Changed to wheels studs & nuts, (so much easier!)
Rust proofed ream beam mounts with por15
More underseal
Rear beam off, fit arb, new stubs & bearing, wheel cylinders, shoes etc.
And other little bits

Cheers!

Back to the top
was a excellent day out Pete,  the mk1 is so much improved from last year.A right little flyer now!! 8)

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top

mark83 said

was a excellent day out Pete,  the mk1 is so much improved from last year.A right little flyer now!! 8)

Yes Mark!

Yeah a little more advance made all the difference :D  Need it on the rollers soon with the Kstar.

Have a few pics of progress to post, but not of much excitement! Only so many photos of underseal I can take lol!

Will have to pop down to yours in the next few weeks.

Back to the top
Blimey thought you'd died!  :mrgreen:
you are gonna have to make it to one of the now many meets.. car still looking great mate..

Back to the top
damm missed this show was on could have got some guys together

redpete and mark83 wana join us at some of the Bristol meets and surrounding area meets we cover?

We were meant to be doing a big club stand at Berkely Castle Glouc this Sunday but its been rained off

We will be convoying and doing Malvern Classic car show in October and that a big mk1 turout and we have picked up best club stand last few years

Cheers Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Seems as my thread is still here, time for the yearly bump!

Up on stands (again!) Rust proofing rear beam mounts, new stubs and bearing, shoes, fitting Eibach ARB

Me getting emotional with Eibach ARB!

So made a tool up - (Turns out after speaking with mk1mark, the old eibach kits had there own strap made up, but the re-release kits use a different strap (I think a vw strap), so you are trying to clamp up a stiffer bush with a larger diameter arb going through it with a clamp meant for the normal arb, pain in the ass!!)

Fitted studs all round, one of the best little mods i've done, makes fitting wheels/spacers easy as, plus looks better I reckon.

Instagayed pic of the bay…

And a snow pic.

Recently fitted new alternator and hydro' brake light switch.

Just need to use it more!

Cheers.

Back to the top
Lovely Mk1. Just had a flick through the thread matey. Hope to see it at a few shows this year :)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Lovely Mk1. Just had a flick through the thread matey. Hope to see it at a few shows this year :)

Thanks matey, and me! Last few years only show i've been to is Retro rides, which has always been really good.

Hopefully will have some better photos and a video from a rollers setup when I pull my finger out!

Back to the top
whats the new shade one the wheels pete? and whens the RR show?

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

whats the new shade one the wheels pete? and whens the RR show?

Hello mate! Its been a while eh?

The ronals are still the same colour (sprayed with audi s-line chrome paint), but they do look a different shade in that pic. They have a dark chrome sorta look which I like.

Retro rides show is 18th August, see below link, really good show as you can watch the cars go up the hill.

http://www.retroridesgathering.com/

Bit of a trek for you?!

I've posted in your build to.

Back to the top
I hope my golf turns out as nice as yours when im done with it. Great work

Back to the top
Thanks Chay!

I'm sure it will, do you have a build thread?

Back to the top
that looks pretty epic. Ill try and make sure I have the weekend off  :thumbs: Any show for me usually involves a trek anyway lol

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanks Chris! Nice photos to.

Currently back to a problem i've had with the paintwork since about a year after it was sprayed, and its basically micro blisters, (water in the airlines when spraying) - its so bad now the paint on the roof has blistered to the point where there are popping in the sunlight! I will get some pictures up.

I have been to the bodyshop, but he's just fobs me off, and I can tell he doesn't want to touch it, and really I don't want them to touch it either!

So anyone in the Bristol/surrounding area, please avoid;

Central Bodyshop,
Brislington,
Bristol.

So i've got a poker dot roof to sort nowO_o

Back to the top
Nice pics mate. Cool MK1  :thumbs:  :wub:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.