Skip navigation

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion (wide arched)

Back to the top

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion

mike_turbo said

Don't forget to pop down and let me have a look at the car Ad.she looks mint and sounds great.

Will do Mike !! Off on holiday until next Sunday. Are you free on Thursday 27th for a bit ? Could pop down before I drop it back up to Notts.

Dirrt said

Excellent work, the intake looks great!

I really like the look of the TFSI engines without the airbox, you could lose the oil filler neck and bring the filler cap flush with the rocker cover as well, its a nice free mod.

Would love to see some photos of the pipework from the turbo to the intercooler on the belt side of the engine!

I have my engine in but having a bit of a headache with that area!

Looking into getting the TTS engine cover and mounts next month sometime so will need to keep the oil filler at that height I think.
  Will get some photos for you next sunday once I'm back. Give me a nudge on the Sunday at some point as the sun might have fried my brain by then  :lol:
  Are you using the front cup mount ? Mines not so think this might have something to do with the pipework fitment. Not 100% sure though as not really had a proper look.

Ad.

Back to the top

Baggie82 said

mike_turbo said

Don't forget to pop down and let me have a look at the car Ad.she looks mint and sounds great.

Will do Mike !! Off on holiday until next Sunday. Are you free on Thursday 27th for a bit ? Could pop down before I drop it back up to Notts.

Yea m8 give me a call near the time and we can meet up.

Dirrt said

Excellent work, the intake looks great!

I really like the look of the TFSI engines without the airbox, you could lose the oil filler neck and bring the filler cap flush with the rocker cover as well, its a nice free mod.

Would love to see some photos of the pipework from the turbo to the intercooler on the belt side of the engine!

I have my engine in but having a bit of a headache with that area!

Looking into getting the TTS engine cover and mounts next month sometime so will need to keep the oil filler at that height I think.
  Will get some photos for you next sunday once I'm back. Give me a nudge on the Sunday at some point as the sun might have fried my brain by then  :lol:
  Are you using the front cup mount ? Mines not so think this might have something to do with the pipework fitment. Not 100% sure though as not really had a proper look.

Ad.

Back to the top
Well I managed to get my suspension raised on Sunday as it was rubbing on the rear arches took it out for a bit and was fine. After an hour or so my mate decided to come and have a gander and wanted me to take him for a spin.
  About half a mile up the road this happened

Pulled up to the island fine but wouldn't move when i went to pull off :o sounded like it was making a grinding noise and first thoughts were that the gearbox had gone.
  So I called the recovery guy who said it sounded like the driveshaft had gone. Popped up the bonnet and and gave the DS a wiggle and it was loose.

Had a look this afternoon at the ds and this is what I found :

The inner cv has collapsed , not sure why or how but it's not as bad as first thought. Going to give TSR a call in the morning to see if they can shed any light on the situation.
  Have been looking to see if there is anyone that makes an uprated inner cv but had no look yet :dry:Ad.

Back to the top
I've had this on other cars ,some non genuine cv joint aren't up to the power buy a genuine one or a oe spec one and try that.

Back to the top

mike_turbo said

I've had this on other cars ,some non genuine cv joint aren't up to the power buy a genuine one or a oe spec one and try that.

I have had this on my 20Vt blew the inner CV apart, (It might have been spinning the wheels in 4th lol) It was non gen though, make sure you swap it for a genuine one, I think you can still get them from VW.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Opted for a gkn cv from gsf. was double the price but read that they are quite strong.  Hopefully will stand up to the job this time. 

Back to the top
Great ReAd Baggie.Keep us all UpDaTeD .. :thumbs:

Back to the top

FXTURE said

Great ReAd Baggie.Keep us all UpDaTeD .. :thumbs:

Cheers buddy !!

Back to the top
Managed to get the car back on the road today after just getting a whole new driveshaft as when the garage pulled the old cv off to change , it sheared the splines.
  Picked up a new shaft for £42 from euros so can't grumble. Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer !!
 Had planned to take the car to the body shop today but ran out of time , so looks like i'm taking it to UD on Sunday. If anyone sees it about it's still not finished  :lol:

Ad.

Back to the top
Did you go to the show Ad as I didn't see your car today.

Back to the top
Hey Mike !! This was my car yesterday 
C:\fakepath\image.jpg

And then this was it at 8.40 this morning ! 

Broken down on the side of the road again !
 Another inner cv has gone. Spoke to Tsr but can't take a look for a couple of weeks , so going to take it to dub unit down the road from me to see if they can shed any light on why it's destroying them.  The new driveshaft was only on for about 10 miles before it went.  
  Went home and got to the show for about 12.30.

Was gutted about my car after putting about 5 hours work into getting it ready. 
  Hopefully I can get it sorted before the rest of the sun comes. 

Ad. 

Back to the top

Baggie82 said

Hey Mike !! This was my car yesterday 

And then this was it at 8.40 this morning ! 

Broken down on the side of the road again !
 Another inner cv has gone. Spoke to Tsr but can't take a look for a couple of weeks , so going to take it to dub unit down the road from me to see if they can shed any light on why it's destroying them.  The new driveshaft was only on for about 10 miles before it went.  
  Went home and got to the show for about 12.30.

Was gutted about my car after putting about 5 hours work into getting it ready. 
  Hopefully I can get it sorted before the rest of the sun comes. 

Ad. 
Ad I would say there not enough travel on the drive shaft causing the shaft to break,it may be the engine mounts haven't been lined up right.so you would need to adjust the mounts or have a custom drive shaft made to the correct length.

Back to the top
Are you breaking the same shaft or have you done both since having it back?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Mike - that's what Tsr have said. The engine may need shifting over or custom driveshaft. Going to take it to dub unit in tamworth as it's just down the road as I can't be bothered to keep going to Somerset to get it sorted. 

Joe90 - yes buddy it's the passenger side inner cv that keeps going. Drivers side has been ok so far. 

Ad. 

Back to the top
Ad let me no if you need help I can come over.if you go down the custom shaft route I may be able to help as I'm having 4x of them made soon.they are not cheap to have made tho around 150ish plus vat.

Back to the top
Cheers Mike !! Will give you a shout if I need a hand. Not too fussed on the price of the shaft as long as it will work. Popping down to dub unit at 2 and will hopefully get the car into them on Thursday. Will give you a heads up on what they say to me mate. 

Back to the top
Dub unit don't want to touch it  :(  Said that they have a lot of people coming in with conversions by other companies that need problems sorting and they haven't got the time to do it.
 Going to take a look at how far in the Cv sits in the cup on the gearbox and take some photos for you to see. Will more than likely be Thursday by the time i get to look at it now.

Ad.

Back to the top
Surely you need to get TSR all over this instead of taking it somewhere else? After paying them to do the conversion for you would need to take it back to them to sort… I can't imagine them trying to charge you if they fitted the driveshafts too because it shouldn't fail like it has, like others have said above, it sounds like something is wrong with the engine geometry to do two inner CV's consecutively on the same side within a matter of weeks/months. Mine only blew because my engine mount came loose and stressed the joint too much, well and the power lol

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Ad call me if you want me to take a look and sort it out.

Back to the top
Had a go at making the standard air box fit back onto the engine today and managed to get it on :D Had to do a bit of cutting but it went on pretty well.  Was going to attempt to make a new parcel shelf today but ran out of time so will have a go on Sunday.
  Fitted my new front grill today but it slopes down on the passenger side O_o thought it was the old grill that was the problem , but obviously not.
  Also took a few photos as well seeing as the sun was shining.

Ad.

Last edit: by Baggie82

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.