Skip navigation

1988 Clipper cabriolet.

Back to the top

my new daily driver cabby - now lowered

As per my newbie thread..

purchased this earlier in the week as a daily driver/rolling project.

been after a mk1 for a while, but as the nice tin-tops seam to do serious money, and the tidy cabriolets not been far behind, i was supprised this one didn't have more interest in it.

i think the fact it had been dry stored, had been a cat C a few years ago and is an auto put people off. anyway i won the auction on ebay for what i think was a good price, the sellor said it would come with a full MOT.

the guy selling it had to give the breaks a full overhall, it then went through an MOT only needing a bulb and wiper blades, it passed with no advisorys.

i went to collect it expecting it to not be the nicest of drives, i'll be honest, it was horrable, it idled very erratically, somewhere between cutting out and 3000rpm, making been dtopped at traffic lights with it in drive much fun. other than that there is a bit of a knocking comming from the front suspension somewhere.

on inspection i found a couple of vac pipes disconected on the carb, reconecting them, setting the ignition timing and trimming the mixture back a touch has made the world of difference, it now drives much better.

the only other thing i have done so far is a quick service and remove what looks like a 1000m of wiring from an old alarm and immobiliser and rip the wiring out from the crappy radio, still have pleanty of jobs to do, but it does seam to be drivable now.

anyway, a few pics as asked for in my noobie post.

cheers for looking
Dan

Last edit: by Reddood

Back to the top
Looks like a cracking car and a good rolling resto candidate.

1985 Mk1 GTi Cabrio

1954 2332cc Oval Beetle

1965 Notchback

1966 Split Screen Devon Camper

2005 V6 Touareg

Back to the top
like it mate, looks nice

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Coilovers now fitted.

Back to the top
what did you fit and are they any good?

Back to the top
Looks nice, what's the ride like?

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
looks good, would also be interested in what coilovers you went for and how much you lowered front and back

thanks

rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
They were JOM coilovers, so only a budget set, it's a 1.8 auto cabriolet, so it is never going to need awesome handleing!

not sure how much i have lowered it, i'm about half way down on the adjustment, so looking at them, i could prob go another 50mm on the front and 30mm on the rear.

the drive is pretty firm, but not as bad as some cars i've lowered in the past, and there is still enough travel in the suspension to deal with pot holes, and it's high enough to get over the 14 speed ramps i have to drive over to get to the main road.

My RST has £750 worth of AVO coilovers on it, and the golfs ride is no worse than that is.

Back to the top
after being made redundant, and deciding i just couldn't live with this as my daily driver, it got abandoned in my garage.

tried to sell it earlier in the year, with no interest what so ever, so decided i better crack on and do something with it.

Put a new MOT on her, gave her a service, and this is it today.

Back to the top
That looks tidy, I bet you're glad it didn't sell now!

Hope you got sorted on the job front  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
yeh it took me a while, but got there in the end.

Back to the top
There are no better wheels than the BBS's!! Fact!

Back to the top
There not BBS's.

Back to the top
What are they mate??

Back to the top
Look like BBS replicas. Still look ace though.

My lord it looked like an offroader in the first pics!

Back to the top
I think it looks great. Are they Lenso rims?

Back to the top
They're Dare RS's 15x8 ET15

The cars now been into www.fivestardetailing.co.uk for some paint correction. I'm amazed at the results.

this was the bonnet, looked ok untill the sun hit it.

and this was the roof (which i was going to replace)

These were the "afters"

I'm well impressed with the result

Back to the top
Detail results look brilliant !!!

I got mine mine paint corrected earlier this year and was delighted with the results, the same as you must be  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Really good results there, this is defintely on the to-do list once my Clipper is on the road. How many hours did they spent on it?

Back to the top

walejase said

Really good results there, this is defintely on the to-do list once my Clipper is on the road. How many hours did they spent on it?

I'm not sure, but I dropped the car off on the friday, it was ready for collection sunday tea time, So they had it pretty much 3 days.

And this was JUST the exterior, i never had them touch the inside, didnt feel it was worth it as i need a new drivers seat or a retrim
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.