Skip navigation

1988 Caddy 1.6D

Back to the top
Oh no, I’ve done it again !!  I’ve taken on another mk1 project….

IMG_7310.jpeg

Back to the top
I've been advised to lose the nasty aftermarket sunroof ….. so….. there's no going back now…
IMG_7341.jpeg

Back to the top
IMG_7355.jpeg

Back to the top
And I've found a little bit of rust in the front scuttle panel, hidden while the windscreen was in place…
IMG_7348.jpeg CBA6CB5F-A490-4BB3-8BA5-05243660DD43.jpeg

Back to the top
So had a high biting point to the clutch pedal, I checked the adjustment on the cable and it seemed correct, so I think it needs a new clutch. So out comes the gearbox. Might as well change all the oil seals and check everything with the gearbox, and replace the shifter bushes as the gears were all over the place with a floppy gear stick.
IMG_7427.jpeg IMG_7428.jpeg

Back to the top
I found some corrosion to the front crossmember around the front engine Mount IMG_7429.jpeg

Back to the top
…. So I fabricated a repair section.

I would rather have used a cut from another shell but couldn't find anything available, but I didn't  want to replace the whole front as I didn't think it warranted such invasive work at this time

IMG_7430.jpeg

IMG_7437.jpeg IMG_7440.jpeg

Back to the top
I wanted to get the repair section done while the gearbox was out, which gave me more room to work.

IMG_7443.jpeg

So I got on with it and then replaced the crank rear main oil seal (while I'm here) and the clutch

Back to the top
My set up to get the gearbox back in.

IMG_7479.jpeg

Back to the top
IMG_7498.jpeg IMG_7499.jpeg IMG_7501.jpeg

The panel across the cab below the back window was corroded through so had to be changed

Back to the top
I had to repair part of the rear window aperture and then weld in the new panel, bought from "retrofication" - a very good quality panel to be fair.
IMG_7503.jpeg IMG_7504.jpeg IMG_7505.jpeg IMG_7508.jpeg IMG_7509.jpeg

Back to the top
More rust lower down on the cab bulkhead where it meets the floor. I had to get that cut out andrepaired…

IMG_7539.jpeg IMG_7540.jpeg IMG_7542.jpeg IMG_7546.jpeg

Back to the top
So I was considering an alternative bed floor. Alternative to OE. I asked fellow mk1 club members on Facebook for their ideas, and got a few images of what others had done, and also a couple of comments that I should stick with what VW did, so the jury is out on that one for the time being, I'm hanging up my welding torch and getting my spanners out , and I'll come back to the load floor another day….

IMG_7594.jpeg

Back to the top
IMG_7607.jpeg

So I put the front suspension and steering together, everything pretty much new, new dampers on the rear, and I fitted new copper fuel lines front to rear

Back to the top
New brakes, new fuel lines, some new brake lines IMG_7615.jpeg IMG_7616.jpeg IMG_7617.jpeg

The floor pans are all good, just one of the blanking plates needed renewing, so I made one and fitted it.

IMG_7619.jpeg

Back to the top
IMG_7615.jpeg IMG_7619.jpeg

Back to the top
So she's up and running with all new suspension, brakes, clutch, fuel lines, etc etc the list goes on. …

I've fitted a new radiator and the plan now is to run her up to temperature and see what happens, I'll flush the cooling system and try and get the temperature gauge working , I've rewired the coolant fan and switch and would like to see the fan kick in without the engine overheating, I'm not confident, I suspect I need to change the thermostat as a matter of course, plus likely the heater matrix, and thorough inspection of the heater valve etc

IMG_7633.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.