Skip navigation

1981 CL 1300

Back to the top
Our Mk1, been off the road for around 20 years, time to get it back up and running. Nothing much required just usual recommissioning and should be good to go.

1981 Golf CL 1.3

Back to the top
Looking good. You've looked after it well.

Back to the top
Thanks. It had some corrosion repairs/new panels and a respray 20 years ago but was never put back on the road. It's been garaged since so hasn't suffered much apart from usual mechanical issues with long term lay up. Looking forward to getting it back on the road.

1981 Golf CL 1.3

Back to the top
looks amazing - great colour  :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Looks lovely and in great condition  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looks good.... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Thread resurrection.

I never got around to getting the Mk1 back on the road. This was my dads car and sadly he passed earlier this year. As such I have now vowed to move it into my garage and commence with the recommissioning process. Basically fuel and brake systems and also suspension overhaul, hopefully using as many OEM parts as possible. I have loads of memories of this car with my dad so hopefully I can do it proper justice for him.

1981 Golf CL 1.3

Back to the top
I retrieved the book pack from the car today, my dad purchased it from the first owner in June '89 at 33000 miles. It was his daily driver until 1997 at around 122000 miles. Since then it sat in a corner of his workshop ( he had his own small garage business and was a mechanic for nearly 70 years) until he retired in 2013 after which time it was moved into a lockup where it has been since, so around 27 years since last on the road. I went to it today and hooked up a petrol can to the pump and a fresh battery and it fired up almost immediately and settled down to a smooth idle. I will be removing the tank as we knew it was full of junk from the filler neck years ago so it will either be cleaned out or replaced. I cleaned and rebuilt the carburettor a couple of years before he retired and fitted a new pump so the tank and hoses will mean the fuel system is sorted. Front brakes are binding but it will be transported to my garage so not an issue. In the glove box I found the programme from my university graduation in August '89, not long after my dad bought it, I remember the day well. I'm looking forward to doing a full recommissioning over the winter.

1981 Golf CL 1.3
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.