Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

should be aye, its literally just the motor you want the linkages no good. it bolts to the mk1 linkage :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Nice one mate, I'll go and pick that up then, it's just round the corner from me. :cool:

Back to the top
Small update.

Been sorting a few loose ends out before she goes to the painters in a couple of weeks time. Started by sorting the scuttle area out, never got any before pics unfortunately. Here it is primed and sealed.

Earlier today I made a start on the 'A' pillar, I was going to leave for the bodyshop to sort out, as I wasn't sure which way to tackle it but then thought 'what the hell' and made a start the same as I have for the rest of the build :lol:

Here is the nasty bit before I started

Spare 'A' pillar I bought on ebay

At this point I still wasn't sure which way to tackle it, I just knew I didn't want a bodge job and it needed to be done in layers as the pillar is made of three different pieces, so after a bit of head scratching I decided to unpick the welds on the new spare pillar

Drilled out the spot welds and started unpicking the gutter, made a new tool for the job out of an old screwdriver.

you can see in this pic the three layers of the pillar

Top layer removed then cleaned up

As I now know how the pillar is made up, I decided to remove the two outer layers and leave the inner attached to the car as there is no rot there anyway.

Here is the section to be removed

I also decided to remove a bit more from the bottom of the windscreen/scuttle, I didn't take it right back as the repair panel I've got isn't deep enough where the windscreen sits in. I'marked it up and I will weld the same piece back in.

Outer pillar removed, leaving the inner layer attached

Repair piece cut out, cleaned up and treated with rust eradicator. Never got any more pics but there's a few more bit cleaned and treated.

That's where I got up to today, I'll get back down tomorrow after work and get some more done, I reckon a few more hours will have it done :thumbs:

Left to do:

Clean the floor inside the car back to bare metal and etch prime.

strip and sort out the N/S door

The bit that the door check strap bolts to has snapped off inside the door frame so need to cut a piece out so I can get in to weld it back on.

That's it, I think :party:
 :party:

Cheers for reading

Andy.

Back to the top
Nice work again man, the A pillars baffled me at first looking at them haha but good entry on that! 

Not long to bodyshop now man :) 

Back to the top
Cheers Brad, yeah not long now mate :thumbs:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Small update.

Outer pillar removed, leaving the inner layer attached

Andy.

Wow. Never realised that the A pillars were so complex.
Great work there  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Your updates never fail to impress - top work.

Back to the top
Fair play to you mate, just been checking this out, it's gonna be awesome when it's done, before you know it you'll be sneaking out to the garage at stupid hours to have another look at a pristine finished car and remembering all the hard work that went in and problems encountered and overcome, I know I did and I hadn't tackled all the welding either just the strip and rebuild.
Can't wait to see it painted, keep the pics flowing  :thumbs:

Back to the top

watson said

Your updates never fail to impress - top work.

Cheers Watson, means a lot mate!!

hubbadubba said

Fair play to you mate, just been checking this out, it's gonna be awesome when it's done, before you know it you'll be sneaking out to the garage at stupid hours to have another look at a pristine finished car and remembering all the hard work that went in and problems encountered and overcome, I know I did and I hadn't tackled all the welding either just the strip and rebuild.
Can't wait to see it painted, keep the pics flowing  :thumbs:

Cheers mate, yeah I can't wait for that time to come mate, must be really satisfying to see the end result :thumbs:

Got a bit more done tonight. Got the first part of the repair piece fitted.

I think I've managed to keep the lines ok. Still got the outer to do which I'll do tomorrow after work :thumbs:

Spoke to the bodyshop today and they are delayed by six weeks :lol:   They are working on a 1937 Hot rod that some other body shop has been working on and they have to re-do everything as it's a mess, so they are behind a bit. I don't think it will affect my build by much as I'm now going to concentrate on getting the engine fitted, fit the FMIC etc, before the bay gets painted.

Back to the top
great work mate, cant get a better repair than that!

Back to the top

browner01 said

great work mate, cant get a better repair than that!

Cheers Bud :thumbs:

Back to the top
Top work as ever andy! The pillar looks quite complicated, but you seem to be taking it in your stride. The scuttle area looks brand new. Good job. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cheers Matt, I put off doing the A pillar at first to be honest, as I wasn't sure which way to tackle it but then thought I'd just do it the same as I have the rest of the car, just dive in :lol:

Back to the top
Diving in certainly works for you andy   :thumbs:

Very jealous of you're welding, those welds are so neat, mine looking like pigeon poo.  :lol:

Back to the top
Mate ur a metal working.genuis  :wub: :wub: keeep it up, cant waitt To see this painted :)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Cheers chipster, I'm learning all the time mate!

Got the A pillar finished tonight after work :party:  I'll let the pics do most of the talking :lol:

trial fitting outer skin

Bottom of windscreen/scuttle tacked up, then welded.

All welded up and dressed back a bit

Bit more dressing, gutter straightened up and primer applied, could do with the tiniest skim of filler for some minor flat spots but I'm going to leave that for the body shop :lol:

That's it for now peeps :thumbs:

Andy :cool:

Back to the top
Looks great, another part future proofed!   :thumbs:

Back to the top
Needless to say my piece here  :$

Back to the top
Cheers lads, you're too kind though, the pics don't show the amount of head scratching that was had :lol:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Cheers lads, you're too kind though, the pics don't show the amount of head scratching that was had :lol:

Think there's always head scratching moments with these cars, you can stare for hours at them wondering " how the hell do I fix that" or "why the hell did I start this". But you're producing a top notch car Andy, you should be proud of what you've achieved  :thumbs: definately keeps me motivated.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.