Skip navigation

1983 Standard GTI Concours 42000miles

Back to the top
I'm very lucky to have an extremely skilled and experienced panel beater as a next door neighbour at my workshop and managed to borrow him for an hour to straighten the poorly repaired wing I found when stripping back the paint.

Back to the top

Ready for the painters!

Back to the top

Dropped it off at the painters today. They seemed quite pleased with what they had to work with. I may see it back at the end of June.
Better get on with some real work now. Boring! :lol:

Back to the top
Its going to look amazing when its done mate!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
back on the end of june ?? jesus i'm the most impatient person on the planet that kind of a wait would burn my brain out, but i suppose when we all see the end result it will be worth it :D

Back to the top
Looking well prepped mate.
June is not too long to wait :-)
Then the difficult "don't scratch it" reassembly starts - I caused a couple on mine that it had to got back to get removed.
Steady hand :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

mAtt- said

back on the end of june ?? jesus i'm the most impatient person on the planet that kind of a wait would burn my brain out, but i suppose when we all see the end result it will be worth it :D

The best results are to finish prep it, get it in primer, bake it and then leave it for the primer to settle with maybe another re bake later on. That should stop any sinkage and set the primer like concrete. Longer its left in primer the better. (As long as its kept dry)
The top coat will then be applied, baked, mopped, rebaked and remopped.

I'm a bit worried about it being ready for Germany now as I have a shed load of work up to then which I didn't have when I started the body and not sure when I'll get chance to put it back together and give it a shake down.  :|

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Looking well prepped mate.
June is not too long to wait :-)
Then the difficult "don't scratch it" reassembly starts - I caused a couple on mine that it had to got back to get removed.
Steady hand :-)

Yeah it can't be rushed but I can just see it now - midnight before the trip, trying to screw the last few bits on! :roll:

Back to the top
The painter and I decided today as there is very little paint left anyway that he will take the rest of it off and start from scratch with an epoxy primer. That way we know there are no hidden nasties in the metal work itself and it should last for years.

Looks like a Robert Wiseman Dairy truck at the moment!

He made a start today :cheer:

Back to the top
Back to bare metal………

Back to the top
Any repair work done before?

Back to the top

funk-star said

Any repair work done before?

You mean before it gets painted or under the last paint?

I'm going to see it tomorrow to see what was under the paint I never took off.

Back to the top
So does that mean you will be driving like an old man to Germany as to not get stone chips on the paint...........

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
Old repairs that were hidden by paint

Back to the top

Ginner said

So does that mean you will be driving like an old man to Germany as to not get stone chips on the paint………..

You sound like my mrs! :roll: but yea probably :lol:

Back to the top

funk-star said

Old repairs that were hidden by paint

o/s wing had damage on the front which we've beaten out and sealed with lead.
Small bit of rot on the lip on both front wings around the arch at the rear bottom. Migged a small strip of metal back in and lead loaded. Pesky wheel arch spats!
Small dink in the n/s door at the front bottom where it looks like its been opened against a low wall. Knocked flat and filed.
Small dink in the backpanel that we knocked flat and filed.

I'll see tomorrow what else has been uncovered.

Back to the top
Cool, sounds like its a straight shell then

Back to the top
It did spend its first 20 years driving round London. I think it survived that enviroment pretty well.

Back to the top
Couple more bare metaled………..

and then a coat of epoxy primer……

Back to the top
graham mate, where you get these fuel hoses from?

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner
There are too many online users to list.