Skip navigation

Hi from Canary Islands

Back to the top
Hi from the Canary Islands!

So I’ve just bought myself a 1983 1.8 Mk1 GTi. I’ll post up some more pictures later in the week.

In brief, it has had 1 owner here on the islands for its entire 40 year life. 68K miles on the clock. It’s in very good condition, but it’s been sitting idle for some time so is in need of some TLC to bring it’s sparkle back.

IMG_2379.jpeg

First jobs…

Needs an ITV next week (Spanish MOT) so I need to put the original 14” tarantula wheels back on as the 15” Mk2 alloys and spacers fitted currently will be a fail. Yep, they fail on that here - anything non-factory standard fitment that isn’t accompanied with an engineers homologation safety report is a fail!

Also have to get reverse light working, and one of the front suspension gaiters is split.

Next jobs I have parts for…
After I have the ITV and 3 years of freedom until the next one, I have some spare parts from the previous owner, who presumably bought them with good intentions, but then lost interest for whatever reason, these parts include:
  • KYB UltraSR suspension for all 4 corners, plus new top mounts.
  • Plastic bits for the rattly seats (which are currently all out of the car being cleaned anyway).
  • A brass dooferwotsit which I think is for the back of the Volt meter.
  • Door handles and locks (drivers side lockable but not unlockable, so requires passenger side entry and climb over).
  • Window winders
Next jobs I have to order parts for…
  • Sun visors feel like crunchy beanbags, I’m guessing sun damage nuking whatever was inside the vinyl covers - don’t think it can be salvaged, but I know a handy upholsterer who might be able to help. Failing that source replacements.
  • Blaupunkt Melbourne radio (actual radio will be Apple CarPlay mounted out of sight somewhere).
  • Rear parcel shelf.
  • Front dashboard has a lot of cracking, again sun damage.
Then at some point in the future I’ll start prepping for a full respray. It’s good, but I can see it’s had a part respray that needs redoing properly and completely.

So yeah, Hello and here we are :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.