Skip navigation

15 year itch

Back to the top

Got the MK1 bug again

Howdy All!!

Just joined up, haven’t really been in the club or MK1 scene for a long time. Ive decided to get my beloved MK1 one the road after it sitting for a decade. TBF it sat for year prior to that too but least it at that point it was a full car. Now its rebuild time, lots of missing bit and a blown bottom end but the momentum has begun. Changed the engine out for a second hand one i had form when i blew it up, Replaced all the main components and got her in. Now trying to ge tit running. Fueling system is shot so in the process of stripping and testing the K-Jetronic system.

I will post some photos next week, in the mean time in have a bench test setup for the JETRONIC system before splashing hundreds on all the bits I might need. My first question is i bought a cheap fuel pump classed as MK1 (155) fuel pump. Works fine but the seller isn’t great and i have no details or data sheet with it. When i hook it up to the system pressurises to 5 bar but all the injectors flow. I need to service the distributor as its now leaking having had it apart to free up the plunger and the ports (they had rust in them initially). This is not the first time this has happened, when it was in the car the same happened when i tested the system with just the new pump.

My questions are:
The AFM position is centered and the resting position could the plunger in the distributor be the problem?
Can the fact its the wrong pump be over pressurizing the system? (I thought the parameters were up to 5.5 bar)
Can the accumulator being faulty cause this( doubtful as even wiht a couple of seal leaks the system holds pressure at 2.5 bar after the pump is closed off.

Anyhelp much appreciated. I have already read all the Jetronic stuff and its educated me enough to get to here!

Thanks again
Jim 

Back to the top
Welcome Jim!
If fuel flows through the injectors then the system pressure is good as they need just over 3.5 bar to start opening.
The plunger must be sitting too high if the injectors open at rest, so either the AFM plate is set too high or the screw on the bottom of the plunger is wound too far in.
As long as the accumulator does not leak fuel and the system holds pressure it is fine. Rest pressure is held in three places, the check valve on the end of the pump, the accumulator and the little seal on the end of the system pressure regulator in the distributor.
Good luck!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers Ade, 

Yeah I thought it might be the pressure pin. Will need to get washers to try. The original pump got the system to 2.5 bar so is goosed. New pump, although not the same type (155) gets the system to 5 bar. I'll get washers with the dist service kit and see how it goes on the bench! 

Thanks
Jim 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.