Skip navigation

Restoring a 1979 mk1 gti

Back to the top

Restoring a 1979 mk1 gti

Hi all,

Just thought I would make my self known. I have just purchased a 1979 golf mk1 gti 1600cc, 5 speed.

I am looking to find any vw breakers/suppliers in the Bristol area, if anyone can help?

Cheers

Matt B.

Back to the top
matt,

Welcome to the forum.  Looks like a good basis to start on.

There are a couple of suppliers here that may be able to help.  Finding Mk1's in scrappies is becoming very difficult.  I phone around all of my local ones accasionally to see if any are in.

I run a small parts business - can find me at www.golfmk1.co.uk and only about 1 hour from Bristol.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Thanks Rich,

I see that you have a rear panel for a later mk1 but can you source a panel for a early mk1 (small lights)?

Cheers

Matt B.

Back to the top
Sorry - no can do,

But I rekon you could modify a large light to small light pretty easily.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Hi maltloaf! Looks like a tidy car to start with. What are your plans? Is the interior going back to original?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I would like to get it as close to original as possible, but there seem to be many variants of internal and external changes it is difficult to keep track. I love the classic style dash, but would like to know what has been changed it has had 14 previous owners.
First of all I am going to strip it to a shell and sort out the body. Not too much to do but I want to rust protect it a bit more.
Then I can look to getting the interior sorted and clean the engine up, inside and out.
Many hours of fun :wink:

Back to the top
Hi mate looks great,

I have just finished a MK1 Cabrio in a retro style (small chrome bumpers etc…) and i live in bristol so anything you need let me know and i will try my best.

Darren.

P.S Pictures coming soon.

Back to the top
14 owners!!!

Check out dubboys series 1 gti. It's like new so you should be able to get a lot of refs from his pics. :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

14 owners!!!

You found my secret.:wink: I am number 15. But for ?100 the car ain't to bad, according to the clock it has done 127,000 miles.

Thanks Darren, I have a another project (Fix Or Repair Daily, Fiesta RS Turbo) that I have to get out of the way then on to the golf. :D

Cheers

Matt B.

Back to the top
got yourself a bargain if you ask me! I paid ?200 for mine in FAR worse condition than that..

looks like the 14 previous owners took good care of it and the milage isn't bad for it's age!

keep us all updated with your progress! :clap:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Aint bad! Blimey, it may not have original interior but to get a series 1 MK1 in that condition in my mind is bargain of the century! Nice 8)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yea it's had some changes.

I think it was probably originally a 4 speed but I am not sure what date they changed over. If you are going to use it on main roads daily stick with the 5th, If you want faster 0-60 find a 4 speed box.

Should have checked seat interior, they probably wore out so a previous owner swapped em, get an advert out now for checked cos it took me a long time to find em.

Should have a single light grille.

Are they plastic rubbing strips on the side? Argh get em off. My first mk1 came with them, when I pulled them off there was loads of nasty rust underneath.

be prepared to find a lot of rust underneath the wheelarches, the early ones didn't have as good rustproofing.

That said the steering wheel would fetch near a hundred quid on eVilbay so an absolute bargain.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Thanks guys for the +ve feedback, much appreciated.

I think I will stick with the 5 speed box, it will make it a nicer journey on the motorways and A roads. Does anyone have any images of the checked interior? Alternatively would a leather reupholster do the job?
I was hoping that a single grill was standard I prefer the look of it, and I love the steering wheel, simply classic. :D
I will get the rubbing strips of ASAP, rust is a bit of a mood killer, but having said that the rust underneath the car is not too bad. I am sure I will find some more as time goes on.

Cheers

Matt B.

Back to the top
Some pics of my interior..You also need the black GTi instrument cluster and dashboard trim.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
NICE! 8)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Dubboy I hate you more and more each day :mrgreen: ! That is one rude MK1 8)

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
That Mk1 was a serious bargain at ?100 - indeed it would have been a bargain at ten times that amount.  If memory serves there were only a very small handfulls of T-reg GTi's ever made it into the UK.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.