Skip navigation

MIMS 1900 Alloys - rubbing against arches

Back to the top

MIMS 1900 Alloys - rubbing against arches

Hi, I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on a set of MIMs 1900 alloys for the g/friends MK1 '88 GTI Cab - (it's registered in my name but I'll let her think its her's  :lol: ) they've been completely refurbished and are gorgeous - even if I do say so myself :wink:

The problem that I have is that the rears occassionally rub against the inside of the wheel arches and it is undriveable with anyone in the back, or luggage in the boot.

They're 15inch rims, 7 inch wide using 195/50/15 tyres so they retain the overall diameter as the standard 185/60/14 tyres - albeit within a couple of mill.  Their offset is ET13 which make them stick out further than as standard - which obviously is where my problem is.

Now I know that I am not the first person to fit these wheels to a MK1 Golf, so my question is are the wheels really to blame, or is it my springs/dampers??

I believe the current suspension to be standard, running the correct ride height.  But what makes me ask the question is that upon removing the rear wheels I noticed that the springs each had a plastic/rubber block located about 1/2 way down the length of the spring positioned between two of the coils - as if to prevent the spring from compressing fully :? Is this someones attempt at bodging a pair of sagging springs - and will replacing them bring an end to my rubbing tyre woes - or am I going to have to get the arches rolled back.  Which I don't think will be too easy with the "clipper" bodykit, plus I'd ideally rather keep the bodywork original.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the fronts, and the space between the arch and wheel seems to be the same front and rear.

I had also originally planned to lower it slightly and to replace the shocks and springs with the best that I could afford - but I guess I now have to stick to the std ride height?

Any advice appreciated, I really dont want to remove them - I'll post some Pics soon.  Ta.

Back to the top
ET 13 is going to give you some probs!

My brother had a set on a tin top at ET 25 and that needed the rear arches rolled. Yours stick out a further 12 mm!

You are deffinately going to need arch work. You could try using narrower tyres to get the "Stretched" Euro look, which will take the edge of the tyre further inside the arch, though it may not solve 100%.

Only other option is fully adjustable coilovers, on their hardest setting with a 4x4 ride height! not quite the look you want, but will stopp the rubbing!

Back to the top
If your cabby has the clipper arches on it you have loads of room to cut back or roll your rear arches. Not an expensive job either. With that offset AL is bang on, they're going to rub unless rolled.

Also, put on 195/45/15. they will look even better then!  :lol:

Back to the top
Thanks guys, my worse fears confirmed then - so arch work it is.  Laughing Boy, your comments are reassuring but if I grind away some of the inner edge of the wheel arch I'm then concerned that there will not be enough edge for the clipper arches to attach to?  If there's anyone here who has had to do a similar thing I'd be interested to hear more.  I'll remove the clipper arches at the weekend and take a closer look.  Thanks.

Back to the top
Mine rubbed when I put the 9" rh cups on the back and i'm running et 15!!

For a quick fix I removed the screws in the top part of the clipper arches just in case they damaged the tyres untill I could fix them and god bless good old vag they didn't move an inch! I'm away to buy a professional arch roller so I can do my own before it gets painted.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT

Pssst… cheaper then frosts!

You can roll your own arches on a clipper cab as if you make a bit of a hash of it the body kit with cover any sins! heres how I did it on my last cabbie;

You will need:

A hammer, preferable a dead blow one and a block of wood.
Some tiger seal to stick the arch back on with
some decent underseal.

Firstly remove the archs, they are attached by screws into the wing lip, screws into the rear bumper and two little buggers under the side skirts. Once off clean the area till you could eat ya dinner off the under lips!

Next, take your wood block, paying attention to keep it beneth the bodykit arch line incase of scratchs and place it outside the wing and knock the hell out of the inside lip with the hammer. you only need to fold the top section where it could catch the wheel. I did approx 1/2 to 3/4 of the arch.

Then coat the area with underseal, what you have to think of is where water could get trapped and make sure it can't!

Then reatach your arch and screw it in where you can and use a tiny bead of tiger seal on the top to hold the arch where you can no longer use screws.

Viola, stand back and give yourself a big pat on the back for being so clever!  :lol:

Back to the top
This any good as an F.A.Q?  :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.