Skip navigation

1994 passat tdi into 1981 cabrio auto

Back to the top

1994 passat tdi into 1981 cabrio auto

the passats a 1.9 tdi, and the golfs a 1.4 auto. am i looking a a straight swap as i have both full cars? engine,box,loom,ecu,pumps, etc.. any light shed on this topic would be a great help.

Http://www.ihidden.com

Back to the top
No idea but what a good idea go for it

Keep us posted .

Back to the top
yeh im mechanicly up to the job, but i need someone that can confirm it will fit.. isnt it just the same as a mk3 golf platform... anyone?? i wana TDI me up.. help me out here :D

Back to the top
It'll fit, dunno how the auto box will mate with the TDI though - and not sure it will be up to the job.

You'll need engine side mount from a mk1 fitted to the TDI lump and full TDI loom unless you convert to mechanical injection.

You'll need to fit a fuel filter somewhere, and fab a downpipe.

Back to the top
cheers mate. i was hoping someone would know if it bolts in  :D . ill be using the manual box from the passat with the cable change sety up. will this bolt in too? Ill be changing the whole loom through the whole car aswell. not sure if i should try getting the passat dash in there though :wink:

Back to the top
i've seen pics of a skoda fabia VRS TDI 130 into a mk2 golf… good luck!!!

Audi A3    1.8T        (1999)

mk1 Golf  cabriolet  (1990)

mk2 Golf  GTi 8V     (1990)

Back to the top
lol, is there no mechanics on this forum or something :P  im on my own here

Back to the top
Anything will fit with enough brute force and a welder . You'll need to do some research and find out what pressure the fuel pump on the diesel is rated to as some modern diesels require sky high fuel pressures . You,ll probaly need a new fuel tank , use the old diesel pump off the passat  uprate all of the fuel lines to cope if the pump pressure exceeds that of the pipe work already fitted to the car . The cable change box will fit but i think you'll need to fabricate brackets to suit , the clutch on these is hydraulic so you'll need to put in a master cylinder off the clutch pedal (lots of cutting and welding) or use a conversion cable (passat i think )and a passat release arm?. Dont know if the engine mounts will just bolt on or not as ive never tried fitting one . Its a nice idea hope you can get it to work  :wink:

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
cheers for that geezer. Do you kow if the passat is a closed pressure system. Ive never done a diesel conversion before. :wink: Mounting brackets shouldnt be to much of a problem. What do you think about driveshafts? If im going with the C/C box, should i take the driveshafts, hubs, susspension and wishbones?

Im tempted to take my 1.0-1.3 engine mounts, and bolt in a polo GT engine, as ive done this conversion and its very stright forward when using full loom and dash.

Nice to see some other welsh users on this forum too :)

Back to the top
Big up the welsh or sumit like that , where are you based ? . Driveshafts i think you'll need to find some late model scirocco (88on) or caddy (88 on) drive shafts as these have mk1 outer ends but late model mk 2 inner ends i  belive that they will then bolt on to the gearbox as intended, worth doing as they are also alot stronger . Gt engine conversion would make things alot easier  :lol:

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
Based in neath, Niceone for driveshaft info... And yes the GT conversion would be piss to do, and would work out cheaper on the insurance, AND, would make it easier to bolt in G40 equipment some time in the future. The Tdi is still a great idea though, and the passat is just sitting here :(

Back to the top
The TDI will bolt to your old gearbox or your into conversion to CC box which means driveshafts, clutch and tunnel mods.

Fitting the engine is easy-peasy.

Fuel lines and tank wont be a problem - exhaust and wiring are your biggest headaches.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.