Skip navigation

Front cylinder head coolant flange with oil cooler

Back to the top

Cannot find part

I am recommissioning my 
Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet CC edition. From what I thought it has a DX variant engine, but for some reason a couple of parts on the coolant system do not match up. I have been trying to find a coolant flange like the one in the picture. According to parts suppliers, the car should be using 026-121-133/C
This only has 2 hose connections along with 2 sensor connections. My flange has 3 hose connections and 2 sensors. (Thermo time switch removed in my pictures)
Have also noticed that the metal coolant pipe does not match up with recommended part. My pipe does not have 2 outputs to the cabin end and instead just has 1 that goes to the heater matrix. Any one ever seen this configuration 384FB633-86DF-4E36-ACD5-6619C275079F.jpeg and where I can get a replacement flange? 9281C8CC-27E5-405D-B2AA-F568C1DFE527.jpeg F362C3F2-FAEE-4BA1-8502-1375E626C810.jpeg

Back to the top
IMG_20240710_092332.jpg
Hi,
I am new to the site and mk1s. I have an 85 with a later DX engine in it with the same flange. The bottom hose goes to the oil filter housing, I believe this was a later edition to the DX, left side looking from the front to the water pump and the front to the rad. I have read may be worth looking for parts in the mk2 scirroco as they had the oil filter/cooling housing fitted before going on to a separate oil cooler rad.  

Back to the top
Scour the wrecking yards, or EBAY or Amazon, ot Facebook Market place. Your looks a little crusty, and needs to be cleaned up and taps run on the bosses.
I did a quick look see on Google for your pn, there are a Plethora of hits.

Screen Shot 2024-07-10 at 6.23.17 AM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the replies. Have been searching eBay and every parts finder possible. Can only find one with 2 hose connections like the ones in the photos listed on eBay. VW heritage sent me the 2 hose one, so did vw-classic. Have to of those, if anyone wants one. VW heritage said my car must have been modified, but not aware that it was at any point.

Ivan, I'm glad to hear someone has the same setup, as I thought I was going mad. 

Unfortunately my flange has had it, so got to find a solution. 

Back to the top
Most of the VW cabriolets from 1984.5-1989 had  the water jacket oil coolers Fox, and Audi had them too.

In the breaker yards I would routinely see them.

I drove 90 Cabriolets that didn't have a oil cooler and it had the plastic flanges every where and it took me a while to find the Proper Metal ones.  I used one from a Audi-fox that had no oil cooler hose, and a 16V CTS sender to replace my blue CTS so I know the issues of trying to find the proper flange.  

Try emailing VWheritage, CrazyQuiffs, and or werk34.de to get the proper flange.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi,
after looking at my car I tried to get a number off the flange, no luck. If mine goes I will either try and use the mk2 one and change the wiring to use the two point terminals or repair with metal putty. I did a temp repair on an obsolete flange for a customer many years ago and it lasted years before he sold the vehicle with no issues.
As a bit of an old school mechanic I wondered if your flange is actually US. if the threads are intact , worse case you could helicoil them, after removing all old pipes give it a good wire brush to see if there are any really bad corrosion spots. Don't worry about chips off the lip in front of the bulge where the jubilee clip sits behind as long as its solid. If the face that goes on to the block is uneven you can use emery paper on a flat surface to clean this up. I did get some old ali motor cycle parts media blasted and powder coated they came up great. 

Back to the top
Thanks for the input. May have to see if i can clean it up, but think the metal has become quite brittle. The other flange on the right was very weak. Luckily that one was readily available.

have scoured ebay, but maybe i can check scrap yards. The MK2 plastic one has the right amount of hose outputs, but wont take the cold start sensor. Will keep scratching my head.

Back to the top
I'd go into a dealer and see if they can help identify the part number for you.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
After some long winded research, have found out the production of this part was ceased in 2011. Looks like it no longer available new from anywhere. Crazy Quiffs have found me a second hand one, so hopefully I can get cracking with this when it arrives. I had started modelling the part in CAD to arrange for it to be custom made. I may continue with that project, as it will be a proof of concept for any other parts that become obsolete.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.