Skip navigation

Advice on Cabby Hood Rear Window Hinges

Back to the top
I’m (once again) looking for a bit of advice as I’m nearing completion of my rebuild.

My car is a 93 Cabby and – as manufactured – had a power hood. Sadly the hood fabric had long since disappeared by the time I got the car  and the hydraulics had obviously suffered a catastrophe resulting in much congealed hydraulic fluid on the boot, no power unit, mangled cylinders where someone had tried to remove the pipe unions and a rusty and all but useless frame…

I’ve sourced and now fitted a manual hood. I’m actually very pleased with the way it’s gone on, but I am now mired in the detail of different years and fits. I’ve no idea what year car my “new” hood came from, but I’ve realised quite quickly that there are some differences. I’ve done lots of internet-based research but still have two main questions. This is the one that’s giving me sleepless nights! I simply can’t work out how the rear window frame hinge brackets fit…… I’m pretty sure my car would have had brackets like this: -
Correct Brkt Example.jpg

I’m confirming this because there are the two captive nut holes on the parcel shelf rests: -

Hood Correct Brkt Mtg.jpg

The brackets I have are like this: -

Rear Window Brkt.jpg

Somewhat shorter but they have the same fixing holes on the window frame. No convenient holes on the shelf rests or anywhere else that I can see. IF I mount them (drilling new holes) as I’ve shown them in the pic my concern is that the glass/frame will foul them as the hood is put down.

If anybody can point me at a diagram which shows how this sort of bracket is fitted  – or better still pictures – I will be eternally grateful.!!!

ALSO - The gas struts are different - and my body does not have the required brackets to fit the ones that came with the new hood. I guess the gas struts would be unnecessary with a power hood?? I’m not too worried about this as the hood is still quite easy to erect. BUT if anybody has any cunning ideas how to adapt the gas strut mountings I’d love to hear about them.

Thanks in anticipation!

Peter
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.