Skip navigation

Instrument Cluster service

Back to the top

Parts not working

I am looking for someone or somewhere that can service the instrument cluster on my Mk1. In particular, the odometer only occasionally clocks any mileage although the speedo is fine and the digital clock at the bottom centre is largely blacked out. Any good repair shop suggestions to help and fix would be most appreciated.

TTSTU

Back to the top
Sounds as if the red gear on the gear is stripped or slipping on the shaft.  There are plenty of how-tos that tell you how to carefully remove the speedo from the cluster to change the gear.  The Trickiest part is Prying the Needle off the cluster without breaking it.  

Hint, used Curved forceps under the middle of the needle on next to the pin.

Red gear if all the teeth are on the gear a single careful drop of super glue on the end of the shaft, is all that is needed.  

If teeth are missing then a new gear is as much as 40 bucks USD.

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 12.22.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 12.23.18 PM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for that Briano1234,
I followed your guide when I replaced the rear parcel shelf on my cabbie a couple of months ago.
Unfortunately, I am not brave enough to attempt the clocks and would still have the problem of the digital clock being blacked out.
I was hoping to be able to send it to an expert to service these parts, if anyone know of someone they trust.

Cheers

TTSTU

Back to the top
I understand, I have a little more experience with Electrics, and things since I have been repairing Puters since the 1900'S  LOL 1976 AND MECHANCAL THINGS since the early 60's   When I see the sign (No User Serviceable Parts Inside) Stickers on things, I know it doesn't apply to me :).  Clocks aren't for the timid.  But there are times when I get antsy on things… at near 70 my hands aren't as nimble as they once were.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

I’ve got some clocks in my box of many parts over the years if that would help you ?

Back to the top
Hello Simon,
Your box of many parts sounds very interesting :)The offending instrument holds the odometer and is for the 1.8 engine showing the 1540 code on the front plate. If you had one of those that you thought was working prior to becoming part of your box collection, that might do the trick. Please rummage and let me know. Cheers.

Back to the top
I just got mine sorted by Rich at crazy quiffs in Wallingford. They replaced the blue foil board on mine but they have a bench test rig set up and loads of spare dash parts so I'm sure they would be able to sort it if you're not too far from there.

If yours is an mfa screen it may not be fixable. I bought a new screen and contacts from a guy on ebay but it didn't work (side note, trying to fix that is how the foil board got damaged) but Crazy quiffs said those don't work on earlier (pre late 80s) cars and he can't fix them.

Back to the top

Found this

Back to the top
Hey Simon,
Thanks for looking. I am not sure if that clock will record the correct mileage for the car.
As I understand it, the code relates to the size of engine and wheels. So the 1540 is the revolutions per mile.
I will keep looking to see if I can get it sorted.

Cheers

Thanks.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.