Skip navigation

1990 Caddy Pickup start problems

Back to the top

Please help a newbie out!

Hey! I bought a 1990 Volkswagen Caddy Pickup 1.8l a little while back and it has been working great, until the other day.
It has been standing still in a open garage for about a week and now I cant get it to start again. The engine turns nicely and it gives signs of life when using motor starter gas, but it wont run by itself.

I'm not really an experienced car mechanic but I know a thing or two about it. My first thought would be the fuel pump having some problems or maybe just the filter needing a replacement but I thought I'd ask here for any good tips anyway.

Notes: I have had problems with the radiator cooling fan running constantly even when the key is literally out of the ignition, I have had to physically unplug it when I leave my car.

(If this post is not "appropriate" to this forum I humbly appolagize, the MK1's are as far as I have learned the closest to the TYP14 Caddy Pickup you could get)

Thanks for any help! :) 

Back to the top
Your first job is to identify whether it's a fuelling or a sparking issue (assuming it's a petrol engine)???

Back to the top
I've checked the fuel line before the filter and realized the engine wasn't getting any petrol.

After looking for the right fuse box diagram for approximately 27 years I finally found one that looks like mine and was able to pull out my fuel pump relay.

I've put 12V on it and it clicks but doesn't give a signal through, so I'm gonna try to switch it out if I find one like it.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.