Skip navigation

Electrical problems

Back to the top

Just in the process of finishing a restoration and putting it all back together and less and less electrical stuff seems to be working! Reverse lights, brake lights not working at all !

Indicators were working this morning bar the rear right so cleaned up earth cluster under dash which was pretty nasty now even less stuff works! But the indicator green light is on on the dash ! Hazards do nothing ! Number plate lights worked yesterday and as fitting them touched connection on body both immediately went out and can't get them on again !!!!!!!
Grrrrrrrr
Help

Back to the top
There is a common issue (I can't remember the exact details though) surrounding the hazard light switch, I think if you have a bad connection here or something internal making a poor connection, it messes up the indicators because the current runs through the switch all the time (or something like that…)

Worth removing the switch and closely inspecting its connections. Its also possible (but fiddly) to open up the switch and clean up the electrical contacts. Be careful though, I think there's a few springs which will make a bid for freedom!

Back to the top
A multi meter and a Haynes Manual will be your friends.....

Back to the top
Knowing the year and model helps us help you.

The Hazard Switch has 2 fuses one for the Turns and one for the Hazards.

If the Hazards don't work, then the flashers usually don't either as the hazards and the turns share all things save for the fuse.

If the fuses are good then suspect the flasher relay or the hazards switch.

If the turns glow when enabled left or right then that is the higher numbered fuse.

If you shorted the bare black and blue wire in your adventure which is very easy to do then you blew a fuse.
The Bare wire on the Hazards there are two, the brown is ground, but the blue/black is 12V full time and since it is uninsulated those will snake you .  I have found that using a bit of heat shrink to cover the connector a very nice addition to the thing.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for responding I'll look into it
My car is a 1982 MK1 GTi with the early 15 fuse set up

Back to the top
remove hazard switch and replace with new or know good 1, any lights on dash check the earth points, and earth to rocker cover.

trail and error, you'll change 1 thing and all will suddenly work

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
IMG_20190928_144324.jpg Ive managed to get them working I took out the flasher relay gave it a little clean and hey presto it's all working! Phew
My next issue is puzzling me I have gone to refit number plate lights and whilst they were on I put the fitting back into the body and touched a connection on the body and they both went out !!! Fuse is all ok but I can't get them back on at all !!! What has happened im baffled
However I've got the back of the fusebox exposed and there seems to be a bit of corrosion lurking! I've cleaned all the earth cluster but omg where do you start with the rest ???

Back to the top
IMG_20190928_131334.jpg Found brake light problem the one connection on the brake light switch was heavily corroded and the plastic looks to have melted!!!

Back to the top
Think it's a part that's still available,  if not sure you can  change bottle to later version. Mark carter may have parts

On the drive

Back to the top
IMG_20190928_131334.jpg Hi Kenneth
Sorry it's ok only melted the plastic cover over the spade connection! I could do with one of those not sure they are available

Back to the top
Yes mate connectors from Ebay. Amazon, electrical shops like tandy and Maplins (old) or just a cheap crimpset will sort.

On the drive

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.