Skip navigation

Pressure comes out when opening the fuel tank cap

Back to the top
Good morning,
I introduce myself, I am the new owner of a golf cabrio mk1 1.8 of 91. I understand little mechanics but I really want to learn to work on my new car.I wanted to ask you if it is normal that when you open the fuel tank cap there is a puff of pressure that sounds a lot (puffffff) with a strong smell of gasoline that lasts a few seconds. Is it normal or do I have something broken?
Thank you,
Greetings to all,

Back to the top
Welcome along.

Yup, completely normal. Welcome to old cars!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Welcome TEXACO, normal for a bit of pressure build up, I find it worse when going from a full tank down towards the red, twist the cap off slowly will help reduce the big rush of air….

I now try not to go below 1/4 tank as it's a metal tank and old and don't want the bits from the bottom of the tank getting into the fuel injection system…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thank you very much for the answer, you leave me more calm. I got scared the first day I opened the fuel tank cap.
Thank you,
Good day to all,
VID_20190613_203504.mp4

Back to the top
That is a bit to much pressure, you may have a blocked breather pipe.

Was the video taken after a drive or when you filled the tank up and then low on fuel and needed to fill up?

There's a gravity valve (No. 40) which may be blocked or one of the pipes.

The gravity valve is there in case you roll the car it stop fuel coming out of the fuel tank.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+cabriolet/goc/1991-44/2/201-66000/

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
It was after a 20 minute ride with the 3/4 gas tank.

Sometimes if I take longer rides, I hear a beep in the fuel tank cap and when I open it comes out more pressure than what you saw in the video. That's why I thought I had something wrong. Could it be the valve? Disassembling the rear wheel can I access it?

Thank you very much for your responses.

Greetings
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.