Skip navigation

Engine Specification

Back to the top

1.6 or 1.8?

Hello!

I have a cab from 1988 without the clipper kit which is registered as a 1.6 with 53 kw. I was a bit unsure of this so I checked the engine code on the sticker in the trunk and on the engine. The code is RE which is an 1.6 as I understand it.

But, at the bottom of the engine block there is a big 1.8 engraved. And the top water hose comes of the head to the right between plug 3 and 4, which is a specification from the 1.8 according to a website.

I also have a 4+E gearbox with the code 4T.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm a bit confused.

Best regards, David

20190408_193940.jpg

Back to the top
only way is to check the code on the block, fairly sure the 1.6 carbed engines had 1.8 cast on the back for some reason, and had water outlet in the same place as 1.8, I scrapped a 1.6 mk2 engine that looked the same a month ago and also had a 4t box fitted

Back to the top
Looks just like my '87 white cabrio.

If it's a UK spec car it should be an EX code 1.8, 90bhp. The number is stamped on the block, sort of behind the dizzy cap.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Looking at the pic again is it LHD? If so could poss be some weird euro spec 1.6, or your use of the word of trunk instead of boot could be an even weirder American colonies engine.  

Back to the top
Haha, im from Sweden. The car is manufactured in Germany and then imported to Sweden in 2004. Yes the car is LHD.

I may have been a bit unclear in the text above, but I have checked the code on the engine block already and its RE.

I haven't found any information of a cab with a 1.6 RE engine and 5 speed gearbox (4+E), and that's why I'm a bit confused. Almost seems like it's an engine from the mk2, as sporttrucker mentions. But as the sticker in the boot says RE engine and 4T gearbox, it's original.

Back to the top
From post MK1 hatch production @'84 the Cabrio and Caddy effectively had MK2 engines and boxes, there was no MK1.

The basic unit apart from perhaps engine mounts would be exactly the same as what was fitted into MK2 and would have come off the same production line(?)

Back to the top
with the late mk1/2 carb 1.6 engines the block casting is the same as the 1.8, hence the big '1.8' on the back. the crank and pistons were changed to reduce the cc

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.