Skip navigation

EV

Back to the top

Turning MK1 Cabrio ('81) into EV car

Hi!

I am considering to have my Golf Cabrio transformed to an EV.
Is there anyone with experience tips and tricks?
Are there other people considering this in the Netherlands (maybe combine efforts with RDW testing (Dutch Authority that allows cars on the road..or not) at the end)?

I am at the initial stage and not sure if this is the right thing to do, but I do not wish to have a moral story or discussion about EV in general or changing my Golf to EV.

Hope someone has some info or idea!

Kind regards,

Floran

Back to the top
Do a search on Electric Conversion on the VWvortex.com there are folks that have turned Golf/Rabbit/Cabriolet in to Electric Vehicles.

I will not go into Pros or Cons on the Subject…

They are not right for me, my daughter is driving a Hybrid Prius and flaunts the better mileage than my Cabriolets, or Van… But I tell her the following:

I do know that my Rabbit diesel got 55MPG 40-45 in town only one Battery needed.

I do know that my 67 Mg Midget got true 55mpg @55MPH on the highway and 29-30 intown and again only one Battery Needed….

Newer isn't alway better, and for the monies invested in Conversion, you may be better served buying a EV new or used as I have seen tons of folks sinking the price of a new car into their conversion.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Why would you even bother?

There is absolutely no point to it. Except as an engineering exercise.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.