Skip navigation

1990 cabby 1.8 rocker cover studs

Back to the top

Help studs are stock in engine

i am in the process of changing my rocker cover gasket on my 1990 1.8 cabby. I am upgrading to a rubber gasket so as i understand the studs need to be changed to longer ones. I have manages to remove 3 of the 8 using 2 nuts but the remaining studs seeem to have threaded as the nuts are just spinning. Is there another way of getting the studs out?
Thanks in advance 

Back to the top
Double nut method, where you take a nut run it down, then run another nut down then using two wrenches or spanners and locking them both together..

The issue is that sometimes you can't get them tight enough, and they will spin.  So that you have to use one on top to gep the other tight as you use the wrench on the opposite nut to try to torque break the stud out.

The Biggest issue is that I have broken studs off….by accident….of course it wasn't my fault :).
The other issue with this is that the applied torque is far up the food chain.  You really need the torque near to the bottom of the stud.

A stud removing tool

Or place a small washer over the stud (big enough to go over the stud and over the edges of the head.) Now take and lock small pair of VICE-GRIPS on to the stud as close to the washer as you can.   Using a 40z ball-peen hammer smack the Vice-Grips CCW (anti-Clockwise).
Use small taps…..once the torque breaks on the stud it will spin….. Protect the head face at all times.

That is how I have done it for years.

Washer over stud prior to removing.

To ease the new gasket over the studs I used a 8 or 9mm tall socket to help force the gasket down evenly.

remember that it is 87 in/lbs of torque on the nut when you are done.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.