Skip navigation

1300 driver cuts out help needed

Back to the top

1300 driver cuts out help needed

help needed its a mk1 1300 driver, car will start up first time every time and can be left to tick over and will sound perfect and wont cut out, but when i set off out on my sunday drives will get a mile and will cut out. Just dies. I leave it for five minutes and set back off a gain but same problem happens any ideas

Back to the top
For a moment I thought this was going to be a tragic post about some unfortunate person…  :oops:  

"1300 Golf Driver dies, help needed" Call 999! 8O

Sorry for thread hijack!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top

Re: 1300 driver cuts out help needed

hi Drew,

I may be a dead driver soon  if i dont get it fixed and get it out of my mums garage

Back to the top
what air filter has it got ?

Back to the top
Sounds like carb icing to me. Do you have the heater pipe from the front of the exhaust manifold to the carb intake hooked up correctly?

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Bypass the fule vapour seperator that goes between the fule pump and the carb.

I recon this will sort you out..

Basicaly plum straigt from the pump to the carb, not ideal but it shoudld work till you get a new vapour trap.

TT

Back to the top
Never had a problem with carb ICING on ours even starting from -10….

TT

Back to the top
Could be crud in the fuel system - can you see anything in the fuel filter… other than the filter and petrol that is  :lol:

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
not ideal but it shoudld work till you get a new vapour trap.

dont make them anymore,  according to vdubb, they are specialy orderd, at a bargin price of ?80  :evil:  unless your lucky enough  to go to your nearest carb shop and see if they have one lieing around like i did for 17pounds

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
Mines been bypassed for 2 years…. And that was a ?25 replacement!!!

Our car started cutting out intermittently.. and it started getting worse, ususlay when accelertaing.

I spent about ?300 finding the problem ( garges kept saying it was most likly the ignition! ) a recon carb which did not come with the vapour trap and did not help!

You should be able to get something to do the job from Filter King..

TT

Back to the top
had a look at the fuel filter and think i will change it any way does not look too good.
Cars are new to me so thanks for all your comments (TT)
i will have to have a look at my haynes manual as im not quite sure about what every thing is.

have you got deatils for filter king (TT)

Back to the top
Their products are usualy listed by people like demon tweeks..

The vapor trap is easy to locate.

Take of the air filter housing.

From the fule pump you will see a pipe going to a cylindrical tank on the side of the carb. it has 3 pipes.
1)The one from the fule pump
  1. The feed to the carb
  2. the fule return to the petrol tank.

Basical take the pipe from the pump, straight to the inlet on the carb. Take it for a drive and see how it is.

If that fixes it then you need to look at finfing a new Preasure Reg/Vapour trap …

TT

Back to the top
had a look at the fuel filter and think i will change it any way does not look too good.

Keep an eye on the new one over the next week or two. If it starts dirty again then you've got crud in the fuel system, causing poor fuel flow. What condition is the filler in?

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
If you've got an ignition system with points these are the classic symptoms of a faulty condensor. Cheers.

Back to the top
Thanks for all your help will let you know how it goes may be a couple of weeks till i have chance to sort it.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.