Mk1 Golf 1983 1.4 16v Bike Carbed

Back to the top
Model: Driver / 1.4 16v Conversion

Spec/Trim option: Gti Interior

Year of manufacture: 1983
Mileage:197000 on clock

Price:  2250 for a quick sale!

Contact details: george.mcconville@gmail.com
Condition: Fair - A good summer run around and polishes up really well.
Mot expiry Date: February 2016
Taxed or sorn: Taxed

Description:

Mk1 Golf Mars Red Tintop - 1.4 16V AFH on CBR600 Bike Carbs

MOT passed 2 weeks ago so nearly a full year!

It pains me to have to write this - it was my never in the plan to sell my lovely golf but unfortunately an aircooled project I have has taken a turn for the worse and needs a serious cash boost. As anyone familiar with old VW's knows, it's not cheap to rescue a 50 year old car!

This Golf has been built to drive, it's no show winner by any stretch but is a nice clean straight Golf that will be endless amounts of fun. It's so quick for a small block it's scary, definitely some serious bang for your buck! It would suit someone who wants a nice driver that they can tinker with as and when they feel like it and doesn't have an insane conversion that costs £1029301823091823 to fix every month. It's all very simple and easy to repair, a basic tool kit will take care of most jobs. I'll chuck in a Haynes manual for the winner to get stuck into! It's super cheap on insurance - when I was 20 it was £300 a year fully comp - can't complain at that!

Mileage is a touch over 197000 on the clock and rising as I use it most days.

Thanks

Lets start with the spec:

Mk1 Golf 1983
Originally a driver, adapted over the years with a GTI interior (including the red stripe dash)
It's now running a 1.4 16V AFH Engine with CBR 600 Carbs - Approx 120bhp. It's lowered and has uprated brakes along with recent good quality fuel and brake lines. Loads of welding done when I bought it to get it through MOT and to make sure it was solid for years to come.

The Car:
I bought it approx 6 years ago as a project, from a friend of a friend who loved it incredibly but unfortunately it needed welding for the MOT that he couldn't afford so I took it and decided to gut it and do everything that it needed - alot more than I expected I have to admit!
It had new sills, rear arches inner and outer, front wings, small patches in the footwell and is now nice and solid.

At the time it had a full exterior respray in Mars Red, that's 7 years ago and it's nowhere near perfect now, but with a polish and some elbow grease it still looks great - there are a few dings and scrapes here and there, a little bit of rust on the A pillar and in the door shuts. All could be cleaned up fairly simply.

The Engine:
Removed from a 2002 Polo not long after I bought the car, it had 70k on it and I decided to run it on bike carbs to keep the Mk1 wiring nice and simple. It was close to needing a cam belt so I took the head off and had it pressure tested and skimmed, then new head gasket set and timing belt kit. The engine was checked over and everything given the all clear - it had been well serviced and looked after until I bought it and I've kept that up.

It's had oil changes every few months regardless of mileage, usually when I have a spare afternoon and fancy getting my hands dirty. It's just had full oil and filter change, new air filters on the carbs and a new fuel filter.

It runs sweet as a nut, tuned by Daytuner in Ripon last summer when I was having trouble with the carbs/fuelling, he re-jetted it and tuned it so it runs amazing, it's decent on fuel if driven conservatively and goes like poop off a shovel when you want it to - it's incredibly quick for a 1.4 engine.. It always starts nice and quick, a few turns if it's super cold but if it's run often it never struggles.

It's got a recent Bosch battery which is perfect for the job and not a budget one which will die in 6 months.

It had a new clutch when it was fitted about 10,000 miles ago so absolutely loads of meat left on it.

New top fill radiator last summer to clean the engine bay up as the header tank from the polo was incredibly invasive and always got in the way of something.

Exhaust is a full stainless powerflow exhaust, it's quite noisy but not ridiculous, it sounds great when it's driven quite lively but just low and burbly when it's pottering about.

Fuel lines were all renewed when the welding was done, I renewed the rubber fuel hose about a month ago from the tank to the engine bay when I had the carbs out after having problems with the fuel - it turned out to be a blocked fuel sender in the tank. I cleaned the tank out and cleared the sender and it's been sweet as a nut since.

Running gear -

Brand new Hot Tuning coilovers last month - the original springs were getting tired so I decided to just replace the job lot rather than mess around with trying to source some springs and then try and disassemble the slightly crusty dampers. I wasn't intending to sell it so wanted it to be right, which is why I went for a full new set of suspension! It had new Febi top mounts on the front, new camber bolts and new stainless bolts on the rear. It's low but not slammed, the ride is firm and the coilovers being a bit cheap can be a bit crashy on the bumpier roads but goes round corners like it's on rails. If you took it up an inch it would still look amazing but would probably improve the ride. On the other hand you could slam it on it's backside and not worry about the ride if you have lovely smooth roads where you live!
The front brakes are from an Audi and are 256mm vented grooved Brembo discs and decent pads, absolutely tonnes of life left in them as they've hardly been used. It stops so well for a Mk1, it's not like a modern car but it's damn good for a Mk1 Golf!
Brake lines were brand new when all the welding was done, full Kunifer cupro-nickel lines which are still in tip top condition and have a serious amount of life left in them.

Wheels are G60 steels with genuine centre caps and recent Maxxis tyres - they've only got about 1000 miles on them so loads and loads of tread left.
Interior:-
It's got a gti interior with red stripes, it looks OK from a distance but is worn - it's been loved but not abused. It could do with a really good clean out and maybe the seats re-trimming at some point, but it's not a massive problem. Some marks and damage to the seats but it's all there and working.

The headlining is a mess from when it was removed, I think it was original so it's cracked along the back and just stuck up temporarily - good used ones are available for not much money and new ones are around the £100 mark.

The boot has been slightly sound deadened and has a carpeted panel in the bottom with a home made carpeted parcel shelf as the original ones are about £200, which is just scene tax central and I'm sure a breaker somewhere will have a reasonable one!

There are still jobs left to do:
Gearbox is tight on shifting when it's hot, could be a case of setting the linkages until it's smoother.
VDO gauge cluster needs sorting: Battery gauge works but clock and oil pressure not plumbed in.
Clock LED's - speedo side works but rev counter doesnt. Was going to upgrade with one of the LED kits from ebay so it's brighter but haven't had time!
Handbrake lever - has a disgusting anodized style alloy handbrake lever, included is an original one, Needs an hour of fettling to get the old one off and new one on.
Carb filters - they have pipercross sock filters on at the moment but with a PX600 filter fitted (the baseplate is already on and I'll include the filter) then you should see a power gain due to the incredible flow of those filters.
Please do come view it if you are interested - I've travelled all over the UK looking at cars before I've bought them after being stung with a lemon a few years ago. It's worth every mile of travelling and always a bit of fun! I'd like people to come see it and make sure they're happy with what they're buying for both of our peace of mind. It owes me so much it's ridiculous, but I think at the money I'm asking it's a very good buy and hopefully will go to someone who will look after it and love it for years to come as I have done. Please if you'd like to test drive then bring proof of fully comp insurance - I'm happy to take you out for a drive to give you a good show of what's what if the insurance is a problem,

Last edit: by georgeyv

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.