Skip navigation

Fuel Pump Relays.

Back to the top
Good evening All.

Newbie here.

First of all apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area - I am new…

Are you folk's aware that fuel pump relays are becoming unavailable for the MK1 VAG 1600 engine (EG code).Part number 321906059C.
I don't own a Golf, I have a Scirocco Storm (80 vintage) with EG engine.

A few weeks ago the fuel pump relay failed, as it has done frequently in my 28 years of ownership! I managed to get a second hand one, and it's running again.

My car has always had issues in this area, it was only 10 years ago that I was informed that the original wiring/relay position was a flawed design. My fuel pump relay is now repositioned to avoid the overload on on the original design.

But I've had another relay fail,, I'm beginning to wonder if it's up to the job?

The fuel pump is relatively new (10 years old) from  a renowned supplier and good quality. It doesn't make any real noise. The fuel filter is changed regularly .

What do you folks think? Am I missing something? 

I've always been comfortable with my car ownership as it's essentially based on a MK1 Golf GTi, and parts supply should not be a problem. I'm wondering if this is the start?

Is there a work around to this? Do you folks know something different?

Or, any advice would be welcome.

Jim.

Back to the top
The fuel pump relays in the older CIS have been known to overheat.  This causes the connections of the relay to become cold soldered.  Removing the old solder and then applying new fixes most of them.

See www.cabby-info.com to get a list of relays to be wary of as in don't work, and ones that do

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.