Skip navigation

Sound Proofing

Back to the top

Sound Proof Options

golf Cabrio mark1gls Saulty Early-1800 chrisL @Raul
Gents all on the list as on the other thread.

Would be great to here of succesful methods and not so good ideas to get a bit of noise reduction in the MK1. Especially the floor area.

I have all the original stuff in good condition (drives side a little cracked up) but looking to add a bit more proofing. Can we get some simple underlay from the local carpet supplier or must we use the real stuff.

Curios on what works, Pros and Cons

Thx

Back to the top
It's quite a while now (@17-18 years) but when I restored the GTI I used two types of carpet underlay in-addition to the original factory stuff (which I had to dry out!).

I used the fluffy felt type and the rubberised stuff. These were large off cuts that I'd managed to pickup for free but can be bought at all good carpet retailers……

I had the dash out and stuck the felt type to the underside of the dash and into cavities behind the dash/bulkhead.

I put the rubberised stuff on the floor and up the foot wells.

In addition from the scrap yard I found a few sort of mini-sand-bag-pads from MK2 Golfs and Passats and put these in the front footwells, not sure if VW still use this on more modern stuff? Hopefully pic below showing these.

Finally I fitted a genuine Diesel under bonnet sound deadening pad from a scrap DERV Golf from when such things could still be found in scrap yards.

It helped that I already had the car in bits. If I was doing it again I would probably stick some roofing flashing on the floor under the sound deadening (cheaper than the propriety dynamat stuff)

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

I would probably stick some roofing flashing on the floor under the sound deadening (cheaper than the propriety dynamat stuff)

Over here that is about 100 bucks for a 90foot 48 inches wide.. and they sell it in 16" wide

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Got a bulk order of 4mm Silent COat from Amazon.
About £90 with more than enough to sort Yoda and it works a treat

Back to the top
Used the lead flashing stuff, it's good cos you can get it from your local building supplies place when you run out!

It works, yu might need two layers though on the floor etc. I have it in the Derby and in Clive

For Minx I've gone 'proper' 4mm silent coat as Mr Funk has used, topped off with Dodo mat. The I have some 5mm self adhesive closed cell foam to cover every surface (inc roof panel) over the top of eveything else.

Then the fluffy stuff, I'm going to get it from volvos in the scrap yard or other big estate cars, then the sand bags (they are in newer vag group stuff) followed by the carpet.

Hopefully I will still be able to get my feet under the dash!

I hate road noise!

Followed by many speakers, a sub and two amps.  :lol:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I'm proberly the odd one out because I've still got all the original stuff under the carpets. The original sound deadening under the bonnet.

Standard engine and exhaust but I am very careful about buying good tires with a very low road noise factor.

I use Dunlops and for there price they're quite and do stick extremely well.   :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Sound Proofing

Top speed of 27mph with all that lead and sand . Great tips on steely my from big estate cars and cutting to suit. I looked at the 4mm stuff earlier and may get some for rear quarters and doors.  Maybe some under rear seat with 8mm carpet foam underlay beneath the original heavy mk1 sound proofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Sound Proofing

I've ripped my carpet up as it was nasty 🀢god knows what the previous owner had been doing in it!
New carpet and underlay ready to go in
Underlay looks like the house stuff - pretty thick so hoping road noise will be cut down, with no radio to keep me company the grrrrrrr of road noise does become tedious after a while

Back to the top
Best to get automotive underlay as it does not smell bad if it does get a little wet and it's not much more in cost.
The stuff I got was the right width of my car and 3m was enough to do from the boot to the bulk head. I should of bought 4m to go up the bulk head and behind the dash but I was using the car when I fitted it so the dash was in place , it only took a couple of hours to fit it.

From my Mk1 scirocco, had to cut around the wheel tubs, found a sharp pair of scissors worked best.

Carpet back in, I did have to push it down in the corners etc.

I bought the underlay from eBay, found a link from rubjonnys post on sound proofing. I'll try and find a link.

I have found the car quieter than before but I think some up the bulk head and behind the dash will help and along with some stick on flashing or dynomatt will help further.

found the link. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GR-VAN-CARVAN-CAMPER-INSULATION-UNDER-FELT-UNDERLAY-SOUND-DEADENING-PROOFING-T5-/251457499387?hash=item3a8c08f0fb

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Put Silent Coat down in mine
IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1622.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.