Skip navigation

webber carb for 1600 auto? series 1 manifold trouble?

Back to the top

webber carb for 1600 auto? series 1 manifold trouble?

alright guys, will i have any trouble fitting a webber carb from a 1600 manul mk2 golf onto my 1600 automatic mk1 golf?

i wasnt sure if the gearbox makes any difference, or the fact thats its from a later 1600.

any help apreciated.

thanks, Oli

Back to the top
Hi bud,
          Answers to both questions, NO
You'll be fine fella
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
thanks for the reply Peddersgolf.

i have just been told by solmone else that the carbs are diferent from manual to automatic gearboxes, with a different throttle linkage etc?

can anyone confirm?

thanks, Oli

Back to the top

gangstay said

thanks for the reply Peddersgolf.

i have just been told by solmone else that the carbs are diferent from manual to automatic gearboxes, with a different throttle linkage etc?

can anyone confirm?

thanks, Oli

I have a 1600 auto with a Weber carb on it. I think the throttle linkage is slightly different, but its not too hard to adapt it. Basically, the original throttle cable is too short (it runs from pedal to gearbox, then gearbox to carburettor) so you simply use a clamp and another piece of inner cable, to extend it. Probably around ?1 from a cycle shop?

Back to the top
Sorry oli,
My mistake fella, it will have to have a mod somewhere.
It will bolt straight on, but will not connect to the accelerator cable without a mod. It won't have the gearbox kickdown on it, so unsure how to go about this, as i dont know fella, sure someone more clued up will help.
Pete

Back to the top

paul_c said

I have a 1600 auto with a Weber carb on it. I think the throttle linkage is slightly different, but its not too hard to adapt it. Basically, the original throttle cable is too short (it runs from pedal to gearbox, then gearbox to carburettor) so you simply use a clamp and another piece of inner cable, to extend it. Probably around ?1 from a cycle shop?

cheers paul,

any chance you could get a couple of pictures of the carb/ linkage etc?

ive found a webber second hand thats in good working order, but its for a manual car. would save me a nice bit of cash if i can use this instead of buying new.

has anyone on here done this?

thanks, Oli

Back to the top
Speak to webcon - they should be able to advise on linkage parts

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
well i thought i was gonna have enough trouble just finding a second hand webber, let alone on for an auto.

a quick call to the local vw breakers and they have one on the shelf!

hopfully this will sort the mk1 out!

cheers, Oli

Back to the top

Back to the top
cheers for that paul,

well , i got my carb today, the correct one for a auto.

but the base to attach to the manifold is completly different!

the carb is from a mk2, and the plate that sits between the carb and the manifold is about twice the size of my manifold, like a double opening instead of a single (if that makes sense?!)

i guess i need to order this part new?

any help apreciated, i want to get this golf sorted!

thanks again, Oli

Back to the top
What does the base look like? Sounds like they've missed the adapter which should be there in the kit.

Back to the top
just took a few pics….

sounds like i have the wrong adapter plate, as i made sure i got one with the kit, but didnt know what it was meant to look like.

current solex and inlet.

webber

the adapter plate that came with the carb

thanks, Oli

Back to the top
looking at the pics, surely the carb cant fit without the adapter goin from two to a single (again sorry if that doest really make sense)

my inlet manifold is very different to yours paul, i guess i could fit the mk2 inlet manifold if its compatible with my head?

the webber carb has two butterflys at the base, but the existing carb only has one.
my inlet looks to be suited to one butterfly, where yours looks to be suited to two.

thanks, Oli

Back to the top
Could well be  - right carb, wrong inlet manifold on your engine!

Back to the top
i guess the series 1 cars have different inlets then.

will a mk2 inlet mate to my mk1 head?

there is a mk2 in the local scrap yard, its either a 1.6 or a 1.8 driver

if the inlet is suitable, does it mak a difference what size engine the mk2 is?

thanks again, Oli

Back to the top

gangstay said

i guess the series 1 cars have different inlets then.

will a mk2 inlet mate to my mk1 head?

there is a mk2 in the local scrap yard, its either a 1.6 or a 1.8 driver

if the inlet is suitable, does it mak a difference what size engine the mk2 is?

thanks again, Oli
Oli,
     the base plate you have their that come with the carb is the same for all 1.6 & 1.8 on both mk1 & mk2 bud.
Get an inlet from either 1.6 or 1.8 from a mk2 golf both same fitment to block,and sit your carb on bud

Back to the top
cheers pete.

off to the scrappy tomorow morning then!

hopefully get it all bolted on tomorow afternoon.

any advce or pointers on fitting/ setting the carb up?

the mixture is pre set on webbers i think? so all i have to set up is the idle which i do when the car is warm and off choke?

the only real problem is where to mount the choke knob inside the car.

ive got the rear wash wipe on a button in the dash,(about 6 inches to the left of the sterring column) and it looks like this is where the choke would have been had it been a manual choke car  originally?

thanks for the help guys

Oli

Back to the top

gangstay said

cheers pete.

off to the scrappy tomorow morning then!

hopefully get it all bolted on tomorow afternoon.

any advce or pointers on fitting/ setting the carb up?

the mixture is pre set on webbers i think? so all i have to set up is the idle which i do when the car is warm and off choke?

the only real problem is where to mount the choke knob inside the car.

ive got the rear wash wipe on a button in the dash,(about 6 inches to the left of the sterring column) and it looks like this is where the choke would have been had it been a manual choke car  originally?

thanks for the help guys

Oli

To the left of steering column in pic below this is where the choke cable goes, if it has not had one fitted previously their will be a blanking plate covering the area, remove underneath panel, and on back of blanking plate is a philips screw, remove this and plate will come out bud
Set idle and co's once engine is at full operating temp, do best as you can with co's but i would advise taking to your local garage, and ask if they could do it on their emissions system, so you know you've got it bang on

Back to the top
cheers pete, difference is i have the early dash….

that looks to me like where the choke should be, not sure if the rear wash wipe swith is original or not?

Oli

Back to the top
:banghead:  Series one, oh well
Not sure fella, have you undone the 4 screws to see if anything is behind it?
Pete
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.