Skip navigation

Volkswagen UK would like your feedback

Back to the top

Volkswagen UK would like your feedback

They created the W12 Mk5 Golf GTI, simply as a technical exercise/showcase for the Golf. I suspect shows like GTI Inters are of more interest to VW than Vanfest, since the type of people attending are more likely to be in the market for a new(ish) car. Its all well and good being nostalgic about the Mk1s but unfortunately, if you're an average Mk1 owner you probably can't afford a Mk5…..

Has to be said, I was casually looking at the campers at GTI Inters, and I met the most friendly lady and stayed and had a long chat about lots of things (not just cars/campers), on the official VW stand.

I do think it would be great to see some kind of parts discount, this would personally mean a lot to me (since I spend so much there!)

Back to the top
I have always found South Hereford helpfull using one of my MK1s for the launch of the Mk5. Apart from when they finished with it later that week they stuck it outside in the rain and dust!
 Dave in the parts dept can get me most bits and pieces as long as not deleted… Like the pipe from the IC to the supercharger on my Rallye. It has a hole but is deleted without replacement.. The other pipes on the G60 are still in supply so it makes little sense. That said the policy of only making parts for ten yrs after production will soon hit the Mk3.
Audi are the same.. having no interest in making new parts for the UR quattro.
Yet Porsche Mercedes and Ford all cater for parts for their decades old classics…
VW seem to be listening more these days as I think their "some things are best left alone" ad that upset the modders in the scene  was soon scrapped..
As for the Mk1 owners not being able to afford a Mk5.. well it seems easier to buy a mk5 on the never never than sink cash into a mk1 these days..

'83 Diamond Silver Campaign GTI
'85 UR quattro 20v 5 cylinder
'94 VR6 Corrado 82A149D3-2379-4966-97B1-6874E7574575.jpeg

Back to the top
Agree with lots of the comments on this thread already (even wooders' comedy  :lol: ) what about VW making their part schematics with all their part numbers available online to all customers so they can do their own research into what they need so they dont have to go into a local dealers on a sat morning and try and deal with some spotty 16/17 year old on the parts desk who quite frankly knows FA because they cant get anyone else to work sat morning or it costs them too much if they do !!!!

(Apologies to people who have dealerships that dont do this and to all you 16/17 year olds out there - I know your not all the same  :) )

Oh and then allow online ordering with collection at local dealers or delivery options.

Im sure most people would rather buy genuine VW parts - if they made it easier and cheaper surely that would increase sales  :dontknow:

Disclaimer - If they already do any of this and I havent been arsed to look then I'll get my coat  :D

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

thanks for clearing that up chris

heres my opinions as requested

if vw supported vw owners then that WOULD interest and impress me, tbh
if vw spent as much time supporting forums like this as they do making websites like that, then i gaurantee vw would be the most reputable brand on the market.
theres questions on this forum that people have spent hours pondering over and sometimes spending fortunes to fix, mfa issues for example. now theres probably some boffin at uberdesign hq who could answer them quickly and easily.

the night driving site holds absolutely zero relevance for me as a vw owner.
if i was an EDITING fanatic then yes it would be fun and well presented and clever.

good morning crew…

Just caught up with all your comments (yes - just like you i have a life outside of this forum  :D )… -
Very interesting stuff, thank you once again for taking the trouble to write it all down.- and yes foxy, for the millionth time we will be passing this back to VW, and it won't be an edited summary either.

cabriaulait - that's an interesting idea you raise there. So you would welcome a regular official presence on a forum like this?

Back to the top
duh :lol:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

well you say that - but many companies stay away from communities because they are often perceived as being cynical / overbearing. See the initial scepticism to the this thread as a prime example.

Back to the top
tis hard to be sceptical about facts tho, on a technical thread answers backed by provenance can hardly be doubted

if for example vw approached the board to introduce a member of their staff and he/she was introduced as such, i for one would be respectful.

i cant answer for woodie mind :wink:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

chris_outside said

cabriaulait said

well you say that - but many companies stay away from communities because they are often perceived as being cynical / overbearing. See the initial scepticism to the this thread as a prime example.

Chris, a few years back i was a member of a Nissan 350z forum, in the beginning Nissan UK had a presence on the site and were on hand to help owners with technical issues. Unfortunately as the year progressed as did the cars faults and the two reps from Nissan UK were getting so much hassle becuase thier customer service was absolutely cr P . As a result they withdrew from the forum and left everyone to get on with it.

I believe that VW would be "safe" having a presence on the forums representing older Mks as we all know the cars faults but still love them. Thier help to us with technical issues with MFAs etc would be invaluable to us.

Personally I like the new advert, mainly cause it touched a nerve with me the first time i saw it as that day i had been out at 4:30am (jetlagged when i got back from honeymoon) doing a lap of the IOM TT course.. And quite frankly i only ever just get in my mk1 to go for a drive!

Tom

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
yes - where it breaks down is 'users' having unrealistic expectations of people who are there as a frontline resource only. There's as little sense getting irate with them as there is screaming at a call centre worker for their company's corporate investment policy.
There is, of course, a responsibility incumbent on the company representatives to manage that expectation, and if they can;t do that then working in communities probably isn't the right role for them

imho of course

Back to the top

vw aftercare/parts

having just paid ?41 from vw for a carb mount today , i had this thought driving back ( in disgust at vw )…

seat, and a couple of other companies that use vw parts, surely dont get access to the latest vw engines g/boxes etc ??

so if thats the case they would be using last years model for example  :dontknow:

reason i say that is i was with my mate using his tools ramps etc etc and whilst i happened to be changing my timing belt he was doing the same to a seat and the belt/tensioner was identical. neither my belt kit or the seats was vag ( because they are too dear ) but i bet if they were, seats would be cheaper

why ??????

83  1.5 gl all black                          sold
86  1.8 gti cab all black light mods.   restoring
87  1.8gti cab standard helios blue.   daily driver
91  1.8 auto cab gold clipper.           breaking

Back to the top

vw aftercare/parts

having just paid ?41 from vw for a carb mount today , i had this thought driving back ( in disgust at vw )…

seat, and a couple of other companies that use vw parts, surely dont get access to the latest vw engines g/boxes etc ??

so if thats the case they would be using last years model for example  :dontknow:

reason i say that is i was with my mate using his tools ramps etc etc and whilst i happened to be changing my timing belt he was doing the same to a seat and the belt/tensioner was identical. neither my belt kit or the seats was vag ( because they are too dear ) but i bet if they were, seats would be cheaper

why ??????

83  1.5 gl all black                          sold
86  1.8 gti cab all black light mods.   restoring
87  1.8gti cab standard helios blue.   daily driver
91  1.8 auto cab gold clipper.           breaking

Back to the top

wooders said

maybe a couple of knowledgeable members of volkswagen could join the forum and chip in.

i said it first!

why does no one listen to me????

Back to the top

wooders said

wooders said

maybe a couple of knowledgeable members of volkswagen could join the forum and chip in.

i said it first!

why does no one listen to me????
terrible signal-to-noise ratio?

i keed i keed   :mrgreen:

Back to the top
chris not being funny mate but your not in any position to mock the senior members of the club :lol:

Mint MK1 Wanted PM me

Back to the top

ajukgills said

chris not being funny mate but your not in any position to mock the senior members of the club :lol:

haha - i know i know. Just a slow day in the office and a little bored..

:wink:

Back to the top

ajukgills said

Wooders isn't a member of the club, though. He merely signed up to post on the forum.

Back to the top
and i'm not senior either

Back to the top

wooders said

and i'm not senior either

you have made a hell of alot of posts since you joined though.

Back to the top
yeah read em, dare ya!

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top

cabriaulait said

yeah read em, dare ya!

haha - hey, where in cornwall are you?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.