Skip navigation

Cills!

Back to the top

Cills!

Hi guys Im part-way (nearly half I hope!) through the resto of a 1983 Mk1 Gti and I have the car on a rotisserie (home-made) doing the using stripping of underseal and checking for rust etc.

Ive discovered as I suspected that the cills have been replaced. What they've done tho is to slap new cills over the top (without recessed trim bit), leaving the old and, assumingly rotten, cill underneath.

Looks a bit cack, although looked ok on the car when it was together. My question is what would you do, cut the perfectly fine slapped-over-the-top cills off and the rotten ones underneath and replace or leave as is?

:dontknow:

Also, I have made a word file of the story so far, anyway to put it up on here without uploading pics 1 by one?

Back to the top
Glad there's another one saved from the scrap heap.

It sounds as if you're going to alot of trouble to restore the motor, so…
… MY personal choice woul be to remove he bodge and do it properly, at least that way you know you won't have bother in the future.

As for word file uploading - no idea?? post in website querie section thingy.

Back to the top
Seconded. If you have gone to the trouble to get it on a rotisserie then remove the bodge and do it properly...

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Ok then fellas, I think you have a point.

My next question is where can I get hold of Cills with the trim strip stamped in (the 'slapped-over-the-top' ones dont have it….)

Obsolete?

Back to the top
Local Hadrian Panels stockist (try Beevers Auto Panels), Euro Car Parts (got mine from there about a year ago. Fit not too bad to be honest.

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Do they have the recess for the trim tho?

:dontknow:

Back to the top
Ones I got did. Ask before you buy them...

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Coolio ill give em a try!

Best welding trousers on…
There are too many online users to list.