Skip navigation

My resto - Helios Blue Campaign NEW PICTURES AND INFO!

Back to the top

My resto - Helios Blue Campaign NEW PICTURES AND INFO!

o said

True say Malc - Will be getting new one's of these in due course once the bodywork is done  :D

o  :mrgreen:

Just thought I'd ask  :D - are they the very orignal plates on it tho ?

Back to the top
I think so, yea.

I'll find out in due course

o :)

Too many to list but 2 x 1982 Golf GTi 1.6 hatches are the main ones

Back to the top
mine say 'Langan's Porsche centre' on em wonder how old they are…. anyone heard of them?

Back to the top

Quality

Quality, not a big fan of helios blue, but that looks really nice

Back to the top
Cheers dub - it certainly looks very good when its all nice and washed  :mrgreen:

I'll be up at inters on Sunday (Hopefully on the mk1 owners club stand!) so feel free to take a close look at it if you're there  8)

Back to the top
Hey all,

Just to keep you updated - I'm on an MOT mission at the moment - i've replaced the only tyre that was looking dodgy and check the bulbs/wipers/belts etc.

All looks okay so far (famous last words!!) so i'll put het in at some point this week.

Cheers,

Back to the top
:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Good luck with mot, mine next friday  :pray:

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
Hey all,

Thought i'd keep you updated on the work i'm doing for the MOT.

Car failed MOT on the basis of wheel cylinders, knacked disks and pads and shot centre exhaust. I was quoted ?400 to fix (yeeaah right! Don't you just love main dealers  :lol:  :roll: ) so I said i'd take it back and sort it myself. I bough the bits from GSF and got a fitting centre I use to fit it all.

Was there for three hours today getting it sorted. Turns out the wheel cylinders were fine, main was dealer talking crap  :banghead: . I had the new ones fitted anyway as everything was already in pieces. I also got the rear wheel bearings done at the same time (Inner and outer) and the car is much quieter now  :D  :mrgreen: .

The front disks and pads went on okay and i'm now driving carefully to make sure they bed in okay. The exhaust was fine also so I took the one back I had already bought  :banghead:  and had the existing one tightened up and sealed.

All in all not a bad day's work. Cost me about ?165 to fix all-in, a mite cheaper than main dealer quoted! I just hope they'll pass it on the re-test  :pray:

Back to the top
Just out of interest did this sell ?

Back to the top
Didn't sell it in the end - decided to keep it for a bit and get the things needing doing fully sorted.

May sell it once its finished, haven't decided for sure yet.

Back to the top
You know you love it!!

Which one is coming to Gaydon?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Ah, yes, still haven't quite got round to getting the green one done yet.. :oops:  :lol:

The blue one was suppose to be being checked into the bodyshop on saturday but looks like i'll postpone that..

Washed it yesterday since it hadn't been touched for a couple of weeks. Re-taxed it for a year, too.

See you this weekend, probably Saturday.

Back to the top
Another update on my resto for you all!  :D

Went to Euro's yesterday to get the other side of the front spoiler. Fitted on a treat and the front now looks even tidier  :mrgreen: Then spent the rest of the day removing the front seat covers (the seats are in fantastic shape!), cleaining the inside, body and engine (More of which later  :lol:  :oops: ). Also treated the exterior plastics with Autoglym trim restorer and it now looks a million times better  :mrgreen:

Had an up and down day today - I was all up for going to the meet @ Gaydon but got up this morning and found that it wouldn't start!  :lol:  :banghead:

I walked down to the local BP to get some WD40 in the hope that it was only damp but this still didn't work (note to self - never clean engine the day before you need to go to an event!). So out come the RAC who fix within 5 mins (these guys are awesom) - It was damp but also had a wonky distributer cap and rotor arm. Mr RAC also checked the battery which he said had seen better days. He was also very complimentary about the car and said the engine in particular sounded great  :mrgreen:  8)  :D

Got a call from Mr Hairy saying that the meet was going to disband coz of bad weather (Cheers Andy - saved me quite a trek!) so insted I went back to Euro's (They know me by my first name and my reg number off by heart now  :lol: ) to get the bits I needed.

So back I am with a great new Bosch Silver battery (could have got a cheaper one but only the best'll do for my steed..), a new distributer cap, a new rev-limiter rotor arm (The spring is knackered on my current one so it cuts in @ 5750rpm!) and also some top Bosch wiper blades (with spoiler!). I also got a rocker cover gasket as its weaping a bit of oil (All the VW's i've ever had have had this!  :lol: )

My car is really looking very sorted now. Its getting to the stage where its really excellent and all original. I feel proper chuffed to own it now  8)  

Going to go and fit it all now - fingers crossed the battery doesn't give me too much grief!

Update - Distributer cap, rotor arm and new battery fitted in 5 mins!  :mrgreen:  Car starts on the button and runs much smoother! So chuffed  :mrgreen:  :D

Back to the top
Hey all,

Got myself nice and oily today changing my rocker cover gasket  8)

Cleaned up all the grime and sprayed the rocker cover and cambelt cover while I was there, too.

The engine bay looks even better now, though I did loose two of the rocker cover securing nuts, doh!  :banghead:

Cheers all, any comments much appreciated,

Back to the top
Do you have a magnet on a stick? You can get them for about a fiver, and they're great for retreiving nuts etc… after you've dropped them inside the engine bay ;)

Looked very tidy when I saw it at the Berkshire meet though :y:

Rich

Back to the top
Good call Rich - i'm on the case for one as we speak!

Quick update - I've booked the car into the garage to get the cam and fan belt changed and the engine given a general once-over (compression test, bottom end inspected, etc..). I want to get it ready to do another 145k!

Will keep you updated on how she gets on :)

Back to the top
She's back!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Picked her up from the bodyshop yesterday and she's looking sweeeeet!

Both inner and outer rear arches have been replaced and the job is stunning. Some of the rear sill also needed doing on the driver's side so a new section has been attached. The scratch under the windscreen has been sorted, as has the stone chipping on the front of the sill.

These improvements have made a big difference to the look of the car - i'm delighted.  :D

The cambelt and associated items have all been replaced so the car is good for another 70k til the next change! The injector seals were also replaced and the car given a darn good tune up (It was quite a way out but now runs far smoother and the economy is also much improved)

A rusty strap was found on the rear anti-roll bar so this has been replaced with a shiny VW-sourced item (Cheers for the help with the details guys! :D ).

I sourced the new silver side stripe kit from Trimsport and these are now all fitted and looking great. My car didn't have the silver stripe on the rear so this has now also been added.

The driver's door has been adjusted so it lines up and fits much better and i've also replaced the dodgy front foglamp bulb (?5.98!  8O ).

This afternoon i'm going to give it a good coat of way and clean away all the bodyshop dust (There is very much to be honest).

Will post up new pictures soon and well as the full resto run-down.

Comments welcome!

o   8)

Back to the top
Nice one, looking forward to seeing the pics

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Should be up soon Andy  :D

Just got in from polishing - i'm shattered!  :lol:

Car now even more shiny and i've treated the glass inside and out, too.

Going to go finish off shortly - think i'll get the plastic looking mint next..

Back to the top
Hey all,

As a quick referesher, my car is an original Helios Blue MK1 Campaign edition, 3 owners, always pampered, drives like a dream and looks stunning  :mrgreen:

As promised here are some new pictures and a sort of run down of what has been done so far.. :D

New inner and outer rear wheel arches
AutoWatch Cat 2 immob
New front disks and pads
Rear brake overhaul including new wheel cylinders and handbrake service.
New brake fluid with system bleed.
New anti-roll bar strap
New cambelt kit including tensioner
New inner and outer rear wheel bearings including hub seals
New rocker cover gasket kit
New ignition leads
New distributer cap + rev limit rotor arm
Service including new Bosch spark plugs.
New front spoiler(s)
New pedal rubbers
New front indicator lamps
New rear light cluster
New Bosch wiper blades
New Bosch Silver Battery with Warranty
New rear bumper (As of this Wednesday)
New Fog lamp bulb (Still can't believe I had to pay ?6 for a bulb  8O )
Re-furbed BBS RA wheels with excellent tyres and locking wheel nuts.
Re-furbed grille with red surround.
Re-furbed rear badges
New side stripes and rear stripe.
New rear black window surround (Still to be fitted)

*Phew* Can't believe how much its had done in just the space of 3 months! Its been a labour of love and she looks so much better now than at the start (Though she was in very good nick for a 23 year old motor!)

Any comments welcome, good or bad  :wink:

Enjoy, I know I have been

o

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.