Skip navigation

quick query - with pic

Back to the top

quick query - with pic

As you know im working on a mk1 driver to 16v kr on carbs

Stripped back the black loom cover on my 1300 driver mk1 loom which serves the engine and I have everything pretty much identified?

However?.

What is this black wire for ? it shared the plug along with the red/black switched live to the starter motor

But then as you can see it loops round and shares a connector with a white/pinky coloured wire ? which I assume connects to the coil? or maybe it doesn?t???

Question is what is the black wire for and where does it go (other terminal on the starter solenoid?)

And what is that white/pinky wire for ? it looks pink but could be discoloured??

Also on the mk1 coil there was a wee wire with like a little black box attached ? is this a resistor or a condenser ? on my old 1300 coil it says ?use only with 9ohms resistance?  obviously I have a coil fitted for a mk2 16v now and don?t need this black box???

Any help in this is really appreciated?.

Back to the top
That coil 'wee black box' is the ballast resistor . And here lies the clue to the rest of the loom .

On normal running the coil is supplied with about 9 volts . On start up when we turn the key we give along with the starter solenoid the coil 12 volts on cranking . healthy spark is created engine fires key is released and back to 9 volts ish . So yellow must be coil poz [ballast resisted] , black 12 volts cranking .

I would think all MK2 models need a ballast resistor ?? You will need to check .

Hope it makes sense  

Cheers ……….

Back to the top

chudd said

I would think all MK2 models need a ballast resistor ?? You will need to check .

Thinking about this you will not of course need the above as its run through the ECU , 12 volts !

Cheers……..

Back to the top
Thanks Chudd for taking the time to comment on this!  8)

the wire isn't yellow just for clarity - just a bit tarnished lookin in the pic  :lol: - looks like a very light pink - or maybe it used to be lilac - if it was lilac/white - then i find in the manual a reference to that wire as being for coil resistor…. must be lilac then….

i think your right as in a mk2 wouldn't have had the reistor….

so would i be able to scrap that wire altogether - i.e. remove it from the loom??? and just run the red/black to start and do away with that black wire and lilac/white wire???

on my mk2 8v gti there was only the red/black wire to the starter and no black wire - the other terminal on the starter had no wire connected to it…

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

so would i be able to scrap that wire altogether - i.e. remove it from the loom??? and just run the red/black to start and do away with that black wire and lilac/white wire???

I would , less you have the better and easier it is . Oh and thanks for the thanks  :D

Cheers……….

Back to the top
Chudd!

sorry for another question

but…

could i run the fuel pump off the manifold heating element wire??? As i think it is served by relay no.2 (according to your helpful diagram) which is also listed as being used for a gti fuel pump??? could i simply join the fuel pump live to this?????

Back to the top
Good idea , are you using k jet injection on this engine ? This is the relay you need . Is the heater one same ?

Wiring is

30 battery live
15 from ignition
87 to pump
31 earth
31b ignition coil

I would get hold of MK2 haynes manual [green cover models 1984 to 1990] and use the wiring diagrams in that for reference .

Cheers………….

Back to the top

Back to the top
The relays are different, but you just fit a fuel pump relay and it should work, i have been told it does but never tried it my self!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
checked again last night - i don't have a relay at no.2! silly me! so it probably won't work! spose i will just use a switched 12v from the fuse box.

Back to the top
i dunno if u solved the wires my g40 was the same with 2 wires to the starter i used the red and black for stater and the blick to power the ecu loom
does any one no which wires are the temp sensor and reversing lights?

g40'd ratter

<div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w139.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w139.photobucket.com/albums/q312/Forgeman/75e604af.pbw" height="120"
There are too many online users to list.