Skip navigation

New "flasher stalk" and light problems :(

Back to the top

New "flasher stalk" and light problems :(

Would getting Part No. 321 953 513
http://www.evwparts.co…ry_Code=QuantumElectrical
solve the problem i have whereby i cant flash my lights (for thank yous etc) or would i need a differnt part?

Also other than earths does anyone know what could be the problem behind having no rear lights/front first lights/rear registration light?
I have a stamp on my bullit fusebox saying 1996 surely it couldnt have gone by now!!?
Cheers guys!
Nick

1982 1.8T-20v-GtEfi. K03S. Megasquirt. 16v Servo + MS. Relayed lights. Mk3 Wiper Motor… Getting too Reliable!
With thanks Eddie-Toyotec, Ben-Bens_cab, Brian-Broke and the Mk1 Owners Club! 211Bhp, should get 250 on next map!

Back to the top
I am sure GSF sell these .??

If you flash was faulty on the stalk then yes a new item would cure it .

Fuzes 7 and 8 are for the lights you describe as not working . But , try the light switch as this turns them on .

Back to the top
Yeah it does the indicators fine, will put on/off main beam but not flash with the lights off..!

Tried another switch in it already, i believe that it works fine after multimetering it plus there is little chance in both switches giving the same problems?! Maybe ill buy a new one and see from there..!

1982 1.8T-20v-GtEfi. K03S. Megasquirt. 16v Servo + MS. Relayed lights. Mk3 Wiper Motor… Getting too Reliable!
With thanks Eddie-Toyotec, Ben-Bens_cab, Brian-Broke and the Mk1 Owners Club! 211Bhp, should get 250 on next map!

Back to the top
If it works the main beam to dip  :? Then i don't think the stalk is at fault .

Ignition on pull to flash ? Does the main beam warning lamp illuminate ?

You have a strange problem here with it all being light related , before you buy any bits check all the connections on the fuze board and the steering column and the light switch wiring block .

Back to the top
What i mean is that i cant flash to say thank you ie with lights off i cant pull back the main/dip stalk to flash the lights! Thought theres a metal runner that wears out on this part but not sure if its part of the stalk or seperate!

Back to the top
Not sure if this is much help.

I had an issue whereby I could not operate the rear wiper relay. These stalk mounted switches have little contact points that close the circuit as you pull/push the stalk. My contacts had worn over years of use. I just dismantled the stalks and put a tiny blob of solder to renew the contact - worked a treat!

Cheers
 :wink:

Back to the top
thanks ill try that out!
Nick

Back to the top
Nick

I had a similar problem and new stalk fixed it for me, see post below as it has some further info on checking you have perm +12v to the stalk first.

The gsf ones are ok, but not as good build quality as the original.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=202925&highlight=#202925

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Nick

I would also check you have the right stalk, I think if you disassemble you may find its the washer stalk you need not the indicator stalk, certainly was on myn.

I know that sounds odd as its the indicator one you pull, but it actually clips into a switch on the side of the washer stalk.  Its this switch assembly that on myn had signs of melting inside when taken apart.
Marked it with a red dot on the pic below.

by the way also remove the white tab for intermittant wipe, if new one has it in place.

Back to the top
Think djheap is right.

The main beam flash part of the indicator stalk actually connects to the wiper stalk and all the electrical connections for main beam are in the wiper stalk.  If you have recently removed the two stalks on the steering column, then there could be a chance that they have not been put back together correctly, check if the two stalks are connected together correctly.

Back to the top
I had a multimeter to the back of my light switch and it doesnt help that sometimes 12v isnt carried accross to the lights, what would that mean, bare in mind the switch tested seperatly shows its working fine and when 12v is applied to the lights from the back of the switch via a +ve probe they work..!! almost asif the wire needs "charging up" i love golfs but for me the electrics have been the loss of hair and love :(

Back to the top
from what you have said regarding the full beam flash the symptoms are exactly the same as I had. IE works full beam/dipped beam when lights are on just wont flash when lights off. Also connecting +12v across back of switch also means the lights come on.

So I would try a new stalk, or one from someone you know that does work.

When I opened up my stalk, the sliding plates had got covered  slightly with melted plastic, giving the above symptoms.

By the way the quick flash works if the ignition is on or off.

Would also open up dif posts on your other electrical queries.

Back to the top
Indicator stalk it is! How much do you know for a VW one, else ill go GSF!
Nick

Back to the top
i got myn from GSF, cost 24.68.

didnt try vw direct sorry.

I think also if you are a member of the site you get an extra discount from GSF, which I wasnt at the time.

Back to the top
I think as im going to install relays into the car i might just use the good line as the feed input, then on the relay have two switched feeds so that if one light fails it wont put the other one the dipped/main side.
Cheers for all the help, just my horn to sort out but im sure the misses can help with that.

1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.