Skip navigation

Rocker cover earth...

Back to the top

Rocker cover earth...

Hi all, i need to fit an earth on the rocker cover due to some strange happenings in the dash. just wandering where is should be from and where it should go to, thanks for the help in advanced. josh

First mk1 and first resto- 1983 golf gti black

Back to the top
Wiring loom earth connected to instruments on the MK1 GTI [speedo etc] is Brown wire and MFA earth wire is White / Brown . [This goes to the rocker cover ]
You will do harm by intercepting these wires near the 'clocks' and soldering a new earth wire to any point near by . Drill and fit self tapper is fine . Oh and check you have decent earth from the battery lead to the engine block . Clean and shiny connections .

Back to the top
sorry im still confused. so connect it from the engine block to a negative terminal? cheers

Back to the top

jumped said

sorry im still confused. so connect it from the engine block to a negative terminal? cheers

Sorry to confuse matters . What i mean is that the earth wire's for the clocks are as listed above and that the white/brown is the rocker cover earth for the MFA  .

To supply an earth to the rocker cover , yes you can wire from engine block to neg terminal but it will be earthed with a large wire any way .

Have a look at the rear of the engine and make sure that a wire has not come adrift . This earth stops the MFA from working .  Do a search on the site for more details

Cheers…….

Back to the top
Ahhhhh thats what that wire is for.... i thought i was the temp gauge, cool, ill connect that up, now i just need to find the sender wire to the coolant guage.....

There are too many online users to list.