Skip navigation

Headlight woes

Back to the top

Headlight woes

GOOD EVENING.

yesterday my golf failed its mot.

tester has said that the near side headlight is shorting out.

effectively this side lamp is not as bright as the offside

it does respond to the dip/full change, but you can definitly tell not a bright.

the yellow dash light usually flickers on off when the lights are in dip and side.

i get the feeling its a bad earth, but just not sure really where to start looking.

if anyone's got any ideas or can point my in the right direction i'll get ya a beer when i'm next up at gaydon!!

cheers john

1982 Non Sunroof Black 1600 GTI

2003 MKIV Golf PD150 GT TDI

Back to the top

headlights

Hi check this guy out he make a new loom that transforms your lights, its on ebay and takes a while to arrive but what a differece it makes  www.mattiegriffin.com

8)

Back to the top
looks light something i might do in the future!  but maybe it wont fix my problem for the mot? :dontknow:

Back to the top
john

Nearside dim ?

All the wiring for your lamps go straight back to the fuze board , dim bulb  :roll:  You need to check , earth , bulb , bulb holder , and fuze board .

alexi's  idea may solve it , fit a relay loom .

Back to the top
cheers chudd

i'll check it all as soon as.  any chance you can tell where the earth out for the headlamps is???

also is there a relay for each side? i.e near side and off side?

john

Back to the top
Earth is connected behind the battery in the protective cover on the loom - about 3 different earths appear here and go back to the earth point near the fuze box . As there are a large bunch here i can't see why one lamp should be dim . But before you delve .

What you need to do first is:
Swap bulbs.  

Check for corrosion.

Bad connections.

Bodged wiring near the lamp holder .

Strange just one side dim ! Makes me think earth .

If above fails .

Run an earth from the battery direct to the light holder [brown wire] see what happens .

Back to the top
looking forward to a bright sunny day tomorrow, chheeerss chudd you a star

There are too many online users to list.