Skip navigation

Electric roof switch problem

Back to the top

Electric roof switch problem

Ok, so I am currently putting back my cab to standard, and have whipped the dash off for a look.

One 'bodge' that I have found is a wire connecting the permanant live from the ignition switch to the live feed from the fuse box (terminal K) which goes to the switch. Now I knew this would be there for a reason so I cut it off.

Now roof dosent work at all (not even with ignition on). Now, somewhere in the loom the switch must connect to ignition live, but is this done through a fuse? if so which one? I have a wiring diagram from bentley manual and it says terminal su on ignition starter switch.

Which terminal is ignition live on the back of the fusebox anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

VW Golf Mk1 Cabriolet - Rivage In-Build. Again.

Back to the top
Replace the live feed you removed!!! you have to have the key in the ignition to operate the hood as its the only time the switch is "live" so to speak

if it worked alright before put it back!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
They live that had been attached was not correct. It was onto a permanant live feed from the ignition switch, not the switched live, and so the hood could be operated whether the key was in or not. This was obviously done due to a fault somewhere. I know the pump + relay side of things are ok, because when 'hard-wired' to permanant +12V they did work, its when its put through the switch that it dosent.

By putting a multimeter on the + that goes to the pump (in boot) and the +ve going to the switch, I get a complete circuit when the switch is switched. However when the pump is plugged in it dosent work.

Sorry if it sounds a little complicated, but I figure theres not that much too it.

VW Golf Mk1 Cabriolet - Rivage In-Build. Again.
There are too many online users to list.